16 replies to this topic

#1 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:45 PM

Background

A topic that comes up often enough in occult-studies-oriented discussion is the so-called Abramelin Operation, which is in essence a lengthy program of ritual seclusion in service of deep and sustained contemplation, designed to bring about a transformational event, termed Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. According to all of the source texts, of which there are a few, and they do vary in some of the details, the main purpose of the operation is to come into direct contact with a divine tutelary spirit. The spirit is presumed to be an emissary of the All Mighty, and its function is to instruct the aspirant in the working of true and righteous magic. The presumptions are: 1) that what the HGA teaches is personal, 2) that it is precisely what the All Mighty wants the magician to know, and 3) that what the HGA teaches is to supplant anything one did or could learn by studying extant texts or by practicing the techniques of others.

After the HGA experience, the continued operations entail evoking a set of evil spirits. The tenor of the text suggests that the evil spirits listed represent the major domains of temptation that people are subjected to, and that when indulged without divine protection aim to corrupt ones soul, presumably to damn them. That idea aside, the texts also allude to the various ways each spirit can be exploited for worldly goals, which to some at least seems rather contrary to the other aims of the operation(s).

An interesting phenomenon in modern occult-studies discussion is for people to claim to have achieved the HGA experience, but to admit to not having followed the steps of the working as detailed in the source texts, but rather to have devised some alternative. Others claim it happened to them spontaneously. It's mightily rare to find someone who claims to have carried out Abramelin as written to completion, because to do it to the letter would be very difficult indeed.

The earliest known Abramelin text hails from Germany and dates to the early 1600s CE. There's no good reason I know to presume that it was conceived much older than that. I do, however, believe that it's modeled in some ways after earlier mystical practices, and perhaps one particular set of Christian practices. There are heavy Christian undertones and overtones in the Abramelin texts, but most modern day Christians reject it as heresy, for fairly good reason in my opinion.

The (speculative) model for at least some of the Abramelin, so I posit, was developed maybe just under a hundred years earlier by St, Ignatius of Loyola, in what came to be known as his The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. It's a month-long operation with at least some overlap with the aims of Abramelin. Most notably, the Spiritual Exercises are intended to foster spiritual discernment: the ability to discern the Will of God as it pertains to the individual, and the influence of evil spirits that can deceive the well-intended. As a generality, the Spiritual Exercises are considered the preeminent method of initiating a Christian mystical path for those who are chosen for it.

While it may be unrelated coincidence, the Jesuits had a presence in Germany by 1540, nearly simultaneously with the founding of the order itself, and the Spiritual Exercises document was circulating among priesthoods and scholars within 10 years. It's at least plausible that someone with an interest in the Grimoiric tradition could have been exposed to the Spiritual Exercises and used it as a model for the initial Abramelin document.

So, the challenge for the would-be Christian Mystic is to take on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola and work it to its natural conclusion. A well-accepted English version pdf of the operation is right here.

As a final word, a close reading of Abramelin and the Spiritual Exercises shows that the latter is by far the more difficult to accomplish.

If anyone takes up this challenge, I'd be keenly interested in discussing it with them after they've completed it, if they haven't entirely lost their will to discuss things with people by then.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#2 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

Dangerous stuff Eugene. As a Christian magician and mystic, and prophet, I will say evil is a real force both within and outside the human consciousness, better put soul. A woodsman once told me when talking generically about biblical and spirituality, all you really have in this world is your character. As a note he further digested that character is your personal love, morality, collective deeds, and general positive and personal personality to use my words.
[i]There are no gods but God, we know him through his order, his mind, the the miracle Jesus Christ. Give up most magic, give up enlightenment and or transcendence. No one can behold God, infinite is beyond, submit and know it creates and sustains creation forever. No true limit, no true death, no true nothingness. E=MC2, and gain and sustainability are greater than loss. The universe infinitely is expanding, growing becoming better and more immortal as are we. Resist evil, for it is an excess, ultimately a lie of true death. There is hell, as the Bible says, but there is choice! Choose wisely. Human origins, cosmic life, magical creatures, heaven, hell, earth and purgatory, many religions. Fascinating indeed, but in this world, no man was like Jesus Christ, and has the worlds largest faith.[\i]

#3 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

View PostChaosTech, on 10 April 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

Dangerous stuff Eugene.

What about the Spiritual Exercises of St, Ignatius is dangerous, in your opinion?

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 10 April 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#4 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:05 AM

I will spend a few days reviewing the material provided and then make a true faith effort in executing it. I may very well fail and will not be ashamed to say it was beyond my reach at this time.

#5 Mskied

• Old Timers
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

Id reply to this but you have proven not to be open minded to discussion.

#6 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Postvives gladio, on 16 April 2019 - 03:05 AM, said:

I will spend a few days reviewing the material provided and then make a true faith effort in executing it. I may very well fail and will not be ashamed to say it was beyond my reach at this time.

I'm interested in your impressions of the proscribed work before you begin it, if you're willing to discuss it.

#7 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostMskied, on 16 April 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

Id reply to this but you have proven not to be open minded to discussion.

You misunderstand me. If you stay on topic, respond to what's really been said, etc., a real discussion is possible. As I suggested in another thread, learn to use the quote function. It'll help.

#8 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:22 PM

View PostR. Eugene Laughlin, on 16 April 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

I'm interested in your impressions of the proscribed work before you begin it, if you're willing to discuss it.

Absolutely. We can do this over PM or in the thread in the event it may be of interest or benefit to others. I will be candid, with all the potential for anti-climax that entails.
The notion of a 'challenge' as such came as a welcome opportunity to re-focus efforts. I would welcome anyone else's thoughts and be happy to engage. The whole point in being part of a community and on a collaborative platform such as a forum is to exchange ideas and thoughts. If I was doing my own thing, I can get a composition book. I signed up here to learn and share and I still believe that is an achievable aim.

edit to add: Since this is a Christian undertaking, Easter Sunday seems like an auspicious starting point. I intend to review the work, and to have a response to Mr. Laughlin prior to the Twenty First of April, Anno Domini MMXIX. I understand I may very well fall on my face and fail in this undertaking, however I will endeavor to take this work up with a sober mind and a good true faith effort. I will do this thing, and if I fail I will not hide, obscure, or prevaricate.

Edited by vives gladio, 16 April 2019 - 11:35 PM.

#9 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:14 PM

View Postvives gladio, on 16 April 2019 - 11:22 PM, said:

Absolutely. We can do this over PM or in the thread in the event it may be of interest or benefit to others.

I started the thread in hopes of public not private discussion.

#10 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:00 AM

After reading the annotations, I will take their suggestion to not read ahead of the week I will be working through. I will be at a certain disadvantage in not having a catholic background however I don't see that as being a showstopper. I have no doubt any required information can be found easily enough. If this makes me a poor test subject, I can but apologize. Don't let my efforts dissuade any one else from giving this an attempt, I won't try to talk over you. :-)

#11 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

View Postvives gladio, on 19 April 2019 - 02:00 AM, said:

After reading the annotations, I will take their suggestion to not read ahead of the week I will be working through. I will be at a certain disadvantage in not having a catholic background however I don't see that as being a showstopper. I have no doubt any required information can be found easily enough. If this makes me a poor test subject, I can but apologize. Don't let my efforts dissuade any one else from giving this an attempt, I won't try to talk over you. :-)

I don't think one necessarily requires a Catholic background to do this work. However, it is without a doubt an exercise of a deeply devotional nature, centered on The Christ as divinity. I think that, similar to the Abramelin working, the effects largely depend on the degree of engagement with the work, but how important the presuppositions might be is anyone's guess. I can say that I think approaching either working from a perspective of intellectual curiosity is doomed to fail or at best, to trivialize the work so much that the outcome would almost certainly be something other than intended.

#12 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:20 PM

I would agree that it doesn't seem to require a solid Catholic background, however I am a little behind the curve on certain assumptions. I won't let that deter me. I can approach this sincerely and see what comes out the other side. I have no intention of giving it a perfunctory attempt, that would guarantee a lack of result.

In physical exercise, everything works to a greater or lesser extent once a couch potato gets moving, however good programs should have clearer results if followed and a more reliable path with a reduced likelihood of injury. Either at the end of a progression or at a certain interval you should have something to show, whether it be picking up heavier things or running further / faster.

I don't imagine that these exercises will have tangible or visible results, however there ought to be something tranformative or experiential to come out of it.

If you have a good recipe, assemble the ingredients and follow directions, then it stands to reason you end with something resembling a cake and not just a bowl of goop.

Edited by vives gladio, 19 April 2019 - 05:21 PM.

#13 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

The availability and accessibility of this forum leaves somewhat to be desired.

I have found the exercises to be beneficial in a general sense, positive results though I am not convinced I had the sort of profound experience that a comparison with the Abremalin operation implies. Unless of course that experience is very overblown and the reality doesn't align with the expectations. If the emperor really is naked, then perhaps the comparison is accurate.

Any exercise aids the slothful, any meal comforts the hungry.

Maybe you have to be really Catholic for this to detonate within your heart of hearts.

I'd encourage anyone to also attempt regardless, but I am a fan of structured approaches. It is beneficial in the sense of push-ups for the soul, but I don't feel as though I had some sort of transcendental spiritual experience or communion beyond what one could get out of any period of devotion.

#14 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

View Postvives gladio, on 09 May 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

The availability and accessibility of this forum leaves somewhat to be desired.

I'm not saying you should leave OC, but alternatives can be useful at times. Maybe OC will be fixed; maybe it won't. Studio Arcanis is okay, aside from the fact that you must become a member of the forum in order to read the majority of it. I believe someone said that the problem with the registration process was resolved.

There are a few members from here over there. Laughlin is there and has a similar thread titled "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola".
The Black Cat at Studio Arcanis : https://www.studioar...hp?f=23&t=17512

#15 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

I will check it out, I've gotten good stuff here but not knowing if I will be able to reply the next day or a month out is problematic.

#16 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,796 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

View Postvives gladio, on 12 May 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

...not knowing if I will be able to reply the next day or a month out is problematic.

The site has some technical issues that are difficult to address under the current (backend) circumstances. I would encourage anyone who logs in here to add relevant topics and post frequently. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, that's probably the most likely path to solving the technical issues.

#17 Jastiv

• Old Timers
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:48 AM

As counter-intuitive as it may seem, that's probably the most likely path to solving the technical issues.

Yes, I see the point. Getting more people posting a bunch of stuff and either someone in the community will come in and address the issues or it will be moved to an upgraded forum. Ironically, the BLAG forum is awful active, and I can only say it seems to be so because it is a marketing vehicle for E.A and his associates. (hence all the investment in it to keep it top of the line and filled with useful information.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users