- - - - -

Abilities Promised By _Initiation Into Hermetics_

7 replies to this topic

#1 Eres

• Old Timers
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:19 AM

Practice-wise, I'm still working on step 1 in Initiation Into Hermetics, but I've started reading ahead to get an overall grasp of what the curriculum entails. In just the third stage (out of ten), it indicates that once you get sufficiently practiced with the techniques it presents, you can do things such as:
  • emitting light from yourself (enough to light up a dark room)
  • charging/impregnating a room with energy such that "if any person enters the room without permission, such a person will be thrown back with a paralyzing effect"
  • controlling sea creatures
  • generating such heat from your body that can melt the snow in an area around you
  • walking on water
  • levitation
Now, most magicians I've spoken to seem to indicate that real magic is rather subtle, dealing with probability manipulation and synchronicity and such. But these promised abilities are rather blatant and intense, things that would be extremely noticeable to the average observer... Is this book really just bullshitting me, or can any of you actually do things like this? Bear in mind, this isn't even advanced stuff, according to the book, since it's what I should be able to do after only advancing through the third step...

#2 crookedspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

I've just opened my copy, completely re-read step III, and see no mention of this. What I do see mention of however is "Clearing a room of any unfavorable or unwanted influences" which reads a bit differently than what you wrote "if any person enters the room without permission, such a person will be thrown back with a paralyzing effect."

#3 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:50 AM

That would be fun, wouldn't it?

Pocket flashlight gives me 300 lumens at the push of a button. Can't say I've ever booby trapped a room. I can control sea creatures to some extent after getting them to swallow a little metal hook - I haven't levitated myself but I've gotten them to float right up out of the water. Average body temperature is 98.6 F / 37 C, snow melts above 32 F / 0 C so it's a matter of how stubborn you want to be out in the cold. The one real magician I met in my life told me the secret to walking on water is to know where the stones are. I know he was quoting someone. God do I miss that man.

Probability manipulation is one way to put it, it just sounds very passive to me. I feel like what I've been doing has been more active and directed towards a specific outcome, to use program management terminology there's milestones and deliverables to point at, observe, and touch, rather than seemingly random occurrences that just happen to have somehow subtly nudged the great pachinko ball of my life as it falls.

I can't point at anything blatantly supernatural, but I'm on a really good trajectory after invoking a particular Egyptian deity associated with knowledge and learning. Maybe I'd have passed the test anyway. I studied, hard, and for a very long time. Then again, lots of people choke at critical moments. Who can really say?

Fun to think about this. Hope others reply. Also hope you enjoy whatever you are investigating and that you find cool results as you either tap into weird powers or get your brain thinking that you did. Cheers!

Edited by vives gladio, 15 January 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#4 Eres

• Old Timers
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

View Postcrookedspiral, on 15 January 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

I've just opened my copy, completely re-read step III, and see no mention of this. What I do see mention of however is "Clearing a room of any unfavorable or unwanted influences" which reads a bit differently than what you wrote "if any person enters the room without permission, such a person will be thrown back with a paralyzing effect."

Immediately following the "Step III: Magical Schooling of the Physical Body" section, there is an "Addendum to Step III", with a subsection about "Room Impregnation". Here I've quoted a few paragraphs from there:

When the student is filling his room with his emanating energy, he must also imagine what he is trying to accomplish, for instance, that the room will be cleared of all astral and magical influences or that these will vanish, or that not only will the magician feel healthy and well in that room, but so will anyone else who enters or remains there.

Furthermore, the magician can impregnate his room with the wish for proper inspiration, success and so forth in all his undertakings. Magicians that are further advanced have the ability to protect their room, and the moment unwelcome guests enter it they become restless and do not want to remain. Such a room is impregnated with the notion of protection and fear.

You can also impregnate a room in a more stable manner; in other words, if any person enters the room without permission, such a person will be thrown back with a paralyzing effect. As you can surmise, the magician has limitless possibilities at his disposal and on the basis of these instructions he can conceive many other methods.

As for the other abilities, they're found elsewhere throughout step 3. I pulled most of them from the elemental subsections of "Step III: Magical Schooling of the Soul".

#5 crookedspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

View PostEres, on 21 January 2019 - 06:19 AM, said:

Immediately following the "Step III: Magical Schooling of the Physical Body" section, there is an "Addendum to Step III", with a subsection about "Room Impregnation". Here I've quoted a few paragraphs from there:

As for the other abilities, they're found elsewhere throughout step 3. I pulled most of them from the elemental subsections of "Step III: Magical Schooling of the Soul".

I see, I suppose when I've read over the text I took it in in a more "once you've mastered this whole thing" as it seems to do that a few times, lay out a simple idea of what a magician can do and then show a few grander examples. I haven't practiced from this text, so I cannot speak to it's effectiveness, but re-reading it all this time after my first peruse it does seem to make some lofty claims, but so do many texts that I have found value in, suppose only someone who has extensive practice with this particular book can speak further.

#6 Mskied

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:52 AM

The first statement is metaphorical, as is the clearing a room. Its hard to say, really, because Ive watched a lot of things occur when I focus my spirit on a room or body of people. It may be that I am in tune with the general attitude of the crowd, or it may be that I am a Master of moving spirit- or it may be that as I watch I become aware of possible things that might happen, though probably arent. In any case, as Crowley writes: "All magick other than conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel is Black Magick" that means that its lawless, basically, and that its ill advised to put much faith into it- though as I said, I have seen results (in my minds eye).

#7 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationBigfoot's Neighbor

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:27 AM

View Postvives gladio, on 15 January 2019 - 03:50 AM, said:

The one real magician I met in my life told me the secret to walking on water is to know where the stones are.

Oddly enough, it might as well have been attributed to Christ. The place in which the "walking on water" occurred, in the Sea of Galilee, was once a harbor serving a long-ruined nation which the rabbis of the 2nd century gave a very bad reputation. The piles of ballast stones, a small underwater mountain, is made of stones transported across the waters to prepare ships for cargo loading, then cast overboard. I'm sorry to all the faithful millions out there, but maybe foot-floating was a myth but Jesus walking on the sunken ruins of failed pagan nations is plausibly the original intention of the evangelist and not at all impossible. Peter did it too, for a while. The pile of stones is now about six feet below the surface, and the water was a few feet lower at the time of the miracle.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#8 Mskied

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:50 AM

Personally I do feel that there is a secret "power" to mind/spirit connection of one another but as I said, I wouldnt count on mastering it. What I wanted to say in my second reply is that attempting these sorts of things, as well as focusing the mind on objects such as used in ritual and spellwork, is a method of fine tuning your awareness. If you move past that fine tuning into contemplating idea, you start onto the real power of the occult and magick, which is to establish a pyramid of philosophy that leads you to wisdom, The "magick" is that it creates knowledge, on that level... but there is something more. When you focus your perception to a razors edge, you might be eligible for the conversation with the HGA. This requires practice with the banishing element of uses for the pentagram and other geometric inner diagrams, a sharp focus on intention, an appeal to a God, and a philosophical proposal to said God. When all of these are in place, you will make contact with the "secret chiefs", though this is absolutely not something I recommend doing, because you have plenty of material in the world to study without first hand knowledge of the God- and in the end, philosophy only goes so far- it does not unite as one would hope, though it can be narrowed down to a personal choice. These choices are already represented in the religions, including Thelema. Now if you are really determined to invent a new magickal perspective, you can try this, but I honestly dont recommend it.

Edited by Mskied, 11 February 2019 - 08:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users