The Royal Game Of Ur And Other Divination Games

divination games board games ur

1 reply to this topic

#1 crookedspiral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:26 PM

I have recently begun playing the ancient board game known as "The Royal Game of Ur," and have been seeing it noted in some places that in addition to being played as a game for entertainment or gambling, it was also used for fortune telling. From what I can tell the pictograms around the board seem to only be significant to divination as in the playing of the game only one of the types of squares is functionally different. Does anyone have any experience with this game, divination or otherwise, and are there any other "games" that were also used as divination? (I am aware that tarot is also a game, but the cards are used differently for divination, the implication to me seems to be that The Royal Game of Ur was read as it was being played)

#2 Orlando

• Old Timers
  • 613 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:15 PM

Nothing to do with gaming, but just to comment on the name of the game, that there was an important Italian magical order in the 1930s named 'The UR Group'. The order was founded by the well known, or notorious, political 'traditionalist', Julius Evola. He brought together several notable Italian esotericists of the day to form The UR Group.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users