- - - - -

Early Genius

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mskied

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

Ive often wondered how people can write such great material with so little life experience about a subject that wasnt written much about. How did these people from days before the printing press manage to be so intelligent in their analysis and comprehension about life and government and magick and philosophy?

First, I dont think that either Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were the same person, or they were a group of persons. It is very difficult for me to believe that any single person outside of a true initiate could develop such a robust system in one lifetime. They either had very knowledgeable teachers, or they worked with many people to develop some of this theory. Take Israel Regardie. He wrote some of his early works in his very early 20s. When I was in my early 20s I was lucky I knew how to wipe my butt. And here is a man that can comprehend mystical philosophy like a 70 year old jewish mystic? He had to have had a great teacher, because these books were not well distributed before the revival 100 years ago. In knowing this, and seeing that there was obviously a handing down of information- information that we are not really told in the same way that I believe they were told, and you figure that its no shame to wander the wastes for awhile before being able to comprehend. The interesting thing is that these were not actual initiates, because actual mystics learn from experience and Divine contact and refining method, whereas these men were scholars. They had to be very studious and had someone guide them early, because I was not ready to say I knew life experience at that age.

#2 vives gladio

• Old Timers
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:33 AM

If you have a privileged position in a society, it wouldn't be that hard. The 60 hours or so I am burning a week in commuting to and attending to my job could go a long way to cultivating my interests. If I had fallen into this study in my late teens and early 20's, I'm sure I'd have been able to devote more time and energy into the contemplation. If I had the passion then to read what the 70 year old mystics had to say, I could have stood on their shoulders so much earlier. I think it's fantastic for the people who felt a call or had the vision to do it at times when they had fewer distractions. I had other priorities at the time. Even now I can't say I am making this a single minded pursuit - if I sacrificed other ends I don't doubt I could make tremendous leaps as I'm sure any reasonably competent individual could if they were so inclined.

It's easy to underestimate just how profound an impact having good teachers can be. 1 year with an expert is easily worth 5 to 10 of fumbling in the dark.

There's also potentially a dangerous assumption that just because someone can write convincingly about a subject that they can actually embody any of that knowledge. Anyone can lie convincingly, and it's very difficult to cross-examine the dead.

#3 Mskied

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

The truest Truth is difficult to live by because it costs us so much of our liberty

#4 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

View Postvives gladio, on 05 October 2018 - 02:33 AM, said:

The 60 hours or so I am burning a week in commuting to and attending to my job could go a long way to cultivating my interests.

Absolutely, and I've just pondered this exact scenario recently. Is there anything special about a productive mystic, or do they just have more free time on their hands? As for the former I would say yes with all things being equal, and the latter serves to augment the circumstance.

Human beings are not carbon copies of one another, and we virtually exist in a realm of infinite diversity. Each person or group that excel at a particular task or function. Sure a person who is competent with all the free time in the world can dedicate this to a task of their choosing, and become quite proficient at it, but will they ever be one of the best at it? Now I suppose this comes down to more than a matter of how much free time one has. I might dedicate myself to playing guitar; have all the free time in the world and never be anywhere near as good as Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani. Same with Chess but never play as well as a Gary Kasparov, or a Bobby Fischer.

This runs parallel with what Crowley says about those exercising their "true will". So it becomes more than about how much free time someone has although time constraints can most definitely serve to hinder.

Contemplation is a difficult one to stifle in my case though. Especially in years past when I was enveloped in profound mystical areas. I would daydream on the job or contemplate during breaks. There are many less gray areas for me these days though - a diminishing sense of urgency.

Edited by Spida, 05 October 2018 - 10:39 AM.

Scribe of the Gods; My Ritual Blog: http://occultcorpus....stical-qabalah/; Black Cat Music Blog: http://occultcorpus....lack-cat-music/

#5 Mskied

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

I dont know... I suppose if you are a very calm individual that is able to perceive Truth in life from other peoples experiences without having to go through it on your own, you might be able to organize it into a good form to present to the world. One thing I see that would need to be conveyed early is that there is no absolute Truth, and that can be a hard pill, one that would require investigation on my part before I was convinced. Im a little jealous of people that took the academic path, even though I got to soar to heights of understanding as I lived my adventure and came to my wisdom, it would have been nice and safe to walk a straight line, or even have access to some of the opportunity that comes from a good sage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users