An Old Novice

7 replies to this topic

#1 DErdrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

Hello!

My name is Jason and I've only recently started getting truly serious about the occult.

It would be fair to say that for most of my life I've been a hard-line skeptic. However, a little over two years ago I encountered a spirit that was able to convince me that she was very real.

Since then I've been trying to get myself in a position where I can begin to safely and studiously explore this new aspect of my life and world view so that I can work with my spirit more. Plus it is just in my nature to learn as much about the world as I can. Now that the veil of the mundane is lifted and I know that knowledge I've dismissed before was real, I'm hungry to obtain as much as possible.

I also just like meeting new people and making friends. So to everyone who reads this:

Pleased to meet you!

#2 Curious Cat

Dances With The Dead

• Owner
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

DErdrick, on 28 September 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

It would be fair to say that for most of my life I've been a hard-line skeptic. However, a little over two years ago I encountered a spirit that was able to convince me that she was very real.

Pleased to meet you!

Nice to meet you too.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened during your encounter?

#3 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

Like Curious Cat I am curious about what happened during your encounter. Though admit I am more curious about how your world view has changed to what you mean about working with this female spirit. It always intrigues me about what "Spirits" ask when it comes to working with them.
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#4 DErdrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:43 AM

View PostCurious Cat, on 29 September 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

If you don't mind me asking, what happened during your encounter?

Thank you! I don't mind talking about the encounter and the corresponding shift in world view. I'll talk about the initial encounter first.

I had been taking some new medications, so naturally when things began my initial impression was that my meds were doing something to me. It began with a lot of the classic haunting symptoms. Footsteps in the hall when I was alone or knocks on the bedroom door from an empty hall, or hearing someone call my name from empty air. In addition to my rational mind blaming my meds, I also found I could easily dismiss them because at no point did the events disturb me. I never felt any fear or sense of threat, so I was convinced I was imagining things.

Then one night, as I was trying to sleep I felt someones arms curl around me and breath on my neck. There was something about this that felt so real that for the first time doubt crept into my mind that this wasn't just in my head. But despite how strange the encounter was, I still didn't feel any fear or apprehension. Just the opposite, it was incredibly comforting and I had this elated feeling like something marvelous was happening. I told myself it couldn't hurt to at least be polite, you know, just in case it wasn't a hallucination. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something like, "Hello, my name is Jason. Welcome to my room. If there is something you desire, please let me know." I didn't get anything that felt like a response, so eventually I just said something like, "Good night, see you in the morning." I spent the rest of the evening draped in that wonderful feeling until I fell asleep.

The next day I woke up as I always did. There was initially no sign of my "guest". But as a couple of days passed since the initial encounter, I kept feeling like someone was trying to get my attention. It was mostly things like little touches on my arm. I couldn't forget about the encounter, but I still wasn't convinced I hadn't just dreamed or imagined it. The footstep and knocking stopped, so that helped convince me that those at least had been fleeting hallucinations as I adjusted to my meds.

Then, one morning as I was getting up I went to open the door to my room and as I approached I felt a hand on my arm and heard my name whispered in my ear. I ignored it, and went to open my door. No sooner had I pulled it open then it slammed shut in front of me. The event was startling, but again I didn't feel threatened. At least not physically. Mentally I was more than little shocked and I immediately had trouble processing what had just happened. I tentatively opened the door again and walked out of my room, my eyes still locked on it. My roommate, who normally slept in till at least noon popped his head out of his door and asked what had happened. I told him I closed the door a little harder than I'd intended and apologized to him. When he went back into his room, I then proceeded to say out loud, "I guess I owe you an apology, too." I then felt a touch on my back and the warm, comforting feeling returned. That was the last time she used such a direct method to get my attention, something I have come to understand is extremely difficult for her.

After that I began to look into ways I could talk to her. I started by searching online to see how other people talked to spirits and experimented with things like Tarot and Ouija. Eventually I found that a pendulum seemed to be the best way to do it. After spending a month communicating with her that way, I heard a female voice in my head one day. I kept at the pendulum for a while but she eventually convinced me I didn't need it any more. Once we could talk mostly directly, I practically began interrogating her I was so insatiably curious. Between her and what I've picked up online my view of the world around me hasn't so much shifted, as opened up. But to spare the mods, I'll put that in a separate post.

#5 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

That sounds like a restless dead encounter more than a landspirit type encounter to me. Makes me wonder if you might not have a bit of second sight influence going for you. I've seen and heard of situations where people sort of naturally connect to dead spirits and the second sight influence develops. Unfortunately, I've also seen situations where they start out like what your describing and the spirit turns out to be more of a trickster and turns more poltergeist like later.

You mention you have a roommate, are you at a college or other similar type setting perhaps? Not saying it is but I know there are more than a few campuses that are haunted with spirits in a few dorms. Some of those hauntings have similar qualities to what you've said here. I've known a few barracks on military bases (I served for 24 years) had a few similar stories as well that sort of matched what your saying.

#6 DErdrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:15 AM

View Postmonsnoleedra, on 30 September 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

That sounds like a restless dead encounter more than a landspirit type encounter to me. Makes me wonder if you might not have a bit of second sight influence going for you. I've seen and heard of situations where people sort of naturally connect to dead spirits and the second sight influence develops. Unfortunately, I've also seen situations where they start out like what your describing and the spirit turns out to be more of a trickster and turns more poltergeist like later.

You mention you have a roommate, are you at a college or other similar type setting perhaps? Not saying it is but I know there are more than a few campuses that are haunted with spirits in a few dorms. Some of those hauntings have similar qualities to what you've said here. I've known a few barracks on military bases (I served for 24 years) had a few similar stories as well that sort of matched what your saying.

My spirit claims to be an elemental spirit and acts more like a muse than any of the descriptions of ghosts I've found researching her. For one, if she is a departed spirit, she's traveled with me almost everywhere I've gone. The house my roommate and I had was an old base house, so there is definite possibility that someone might have lingered there. But I live in a relatively new house now that has no tragedy among the previous owners. And one of the most powerful contacts I've had with her happened in a random hotel room.

In our relationship she helps provide me with inspiration, which she has done for both my art and my life. Not only do I feel much more confident and driven when I'm working now, but she's constantly pushing me to get out and live life. She constantly encourages me to try new things and keep bettering myself. Since she entered my life, I've gotten much better at managing my disability, I've lost weight, I'm painting miniatures again, writing again, I've learned to code so I can finally make video games as I've always dreamed, and I've recently started picking up digital art. In exchange, she gets to experience our world through me.

You also asked about my world view shifts. As I said before, it's been more of an opening than a shift.

I think like many of us, I've always found the universe full of wonder. But like many, I think that wonder had always felt distant. For the follower in the temple, the wonder is in the firmament with God. For the student in college, it's in textbooks about past events or future efforts that one is striving to be a part of. For the stock broker it's in the lives of wealth and exploits of the executives and successful customer. But it's never around us.

As a student of STEM, wonder was always on the horizon. Distant feats of science and engineering were exploring our world in ways never before possible. New energy sources, new medical advances, new materials, new computational methods, even new math. And at the extremes particles puzzle and mystify, doing seemingly magical things all the time, while throughout the universe foreign matter and unknown energies hold sway over the cosmos in ways we're only beginning to understand. But there was no wonder in my life. Just a lot of pain, unfortunately.

But now the horizons feel closer. Even the still air of my room holds possibility and excitement. And although I still need to learn and master like I've always done, it's not to try and command some foreign force created by God or nature. I'm back to learning how to utilize my own abilities, like when I first learned to sing or do advanced mathematics. I feel like I'm no longer learning how to work around the physical barriers in my life. I feel like I'm learning how to remove them.

#7 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

The restless dead are the departed but not specifically what we might call "Ghost". That's not to say the echoes that most people refer to as ghost do not fall under that category. In most instances they are "Spirits" of many sorts that have dropped their earthly garb, usually human, that have some unfinished purpose. In some instances they are location locked, other times are sort of free roam and can connect to individuals whom they think can assist them in achieving their purpose and ending their restless period.

Your "Muse" realistically is no different than the many "Invisible" childhood friends a lot of people had. They inspire and offer companionship and for a number even travel some distance with their friends. Yes, some of those "Invisible" companions per the children and young adults are restricted in how far the companion could go. Other's however said the companion's could go great distances with them, some stories claiming they could even cross the country. Now were they "Spirits" in the sense of "Dead" as a lot of people believe or imagination as others or actual Brownie type creature's as some lore suggests turn that into Boggarts when the children no longer believe in them? All three situations apply at times if you believe what people say.

The Restless Dead many times are human's though with either unfinished business or can not rest until they have justice / vengeance against those that did them an injustice or caused their death. They may linger in that state until most of their humanity is gone and all that remains is sort of an anger that drives the fragmented spirit. Other's will remain, but it's a drive to get to a final destination that they can never arrive at. Resurrection Mary of Chicago is an example of such a Spirit that can never get to it's final destination.

People like to say they live in a new house so it can't be haunted. Yet often know nothing of the land upon which the house resides. Many times a spirit haunts both the house and the land, remove the house and the spirit still haunts the land. Raise a new house and the spirit will still walk the new home. Lost track of how many times I've run into that one. Even to the point where a new home is built upon the exact location of the original home and the spirit walks the old home as it originally stood. So it seems to walk through walls or into ceilings or into the floor and vanishes because it is living in the old house that stood there not the new house.

Part of the reason I suspect the idea of a elemental spirit is from a shamanic and animist perspective dealing with an elemental is like dealing with a stranger in a strange land. They don't work with human's in human terms at all. You almost always have to go into trance and journey work to work with them and then it's into a world that is a mind bender. Like taking some sort of drug induced trip. Almost the idea of crossing into a different state of existence and reality.

Now you can cross into the other side of the elemental idea of spirits in the sense of the Daemon such as Nymphs, Dryads, Kelpies, etc that you see in Hellene lore, or the usage or Elementals in the sense of Ceremonial magics where Salamanders equal fire, Sylphs equal air, etc but that is more symbolic in nature.

You have land spirits in almost every mythos and belief system. Some might argue they could fall into an elemental category as they do tend to be connected to one of the concepts of earth, air, fire, water but not all systems are but around just those 4 elements.

But from what you've written here is still reminds me of a Restless Dead encounter. Where you picked her up from I can't say but it could be anywhere. That she slammed a door to make her presence know, and perhaps displeasure, definitely rings of the Restless Dead more than an elemental. That's human emotion not elemental they don't use emotions. That she is providing that sense of comfort and confidence that's typical of the "Invisible" friend mode that goes back to childhood and is really common in young children connections or Lover connections if you look at those situations. Well initially anyway for the lover, many times those also turn violent when the lover loses interest or ignores their ghostly lover / companion.

One thing to consider you have the potential to form a relationship with this spirit that in some shamanic circles would evolve into a shamanic spouse or Spirit Wife. It can be a powerful relationship, where you have a spirit partner that holds the position of spouse or wife in her relationship to you and expectations from that position. basically companion, adviser, friend, potentially lover, confidant, everything that a spouse or wife in the flesh would be. For some what your describing is how a few accounts I've read is how they discovered their "Spouses" and they were "Restless Dead" who also because their guides into the spirit world and land of the dead for journey work. But it is a big step and requires a lot of trust and commitment and the idea of "Spirit" in the sense of "The Great Unknowable" or type of GOD plays heavy in your life. Many times in the manner of an great illness or death / near death event at some point affecting / effecting you.

Either way I wish you luck and hope you have found what you need. If you'd like to talk feel free to send me a pm and call out in a thread.

#8 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:01 PM

Neat! Soooo "the occult" is a very, very big word that covers a lot of unrelated stuff. Where do you want to go next homefry? I feel like Willy Wonka.

Get on the boat.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users