Hekate Witch Witchcraft

4 replies to this topic

#1 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:43 PM

Video log. Post similar if you wish. Other threads may follow using the topic title as a template, i.e. Supernatural -

subtopic here

Initially I didn't like that this video was associated with Lifetime television, but given a brief screening the content seems okay :

I entertain the idea of the 'broom' as being a metaphor of sorts. Many witches may not have been very well-to-do financially perhaps serving functions similar to that of a maid during the day. Where the broom may have been a common implement for them. But at night in the presence of the Moon. They would free themselves from their daily confines; use their magic to engage the innermost planes. Ascend and soar the outer heavens, but no too far though. They are witches, after all.
Scribe of the Gods; My Ritual Blog: http://occultcorpus....stical-qabalah/; Black Cat Music Blog: http://occultcorpus....lack-cat-music/

#2 Orlando

• Old Timers
  • 613 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK.

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

View PostSpida, on 27 August 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Initially I didn't like that this video...
Video: Intimate Portrait: The Witch. Narrated by Anjelica Huston.

I found it painful to watch, and still do.
I had problems with it right from the start, where, 17seconds in, in the opening titles it claims, ‘’They have lived among us for ten thousand years’’, as if they, the witches, ever existed.

[at 1:05 minutes in] ‘’Four hundred thousand still practice their ancient rites today’’.
That is not true. Wicca was founded Gerald Gardner circa 1940s or 50s. It did not exist before then.
As for so called ‘Traditional’ witches, they have all established themselves post Wicca, and therefore are newer than Wiccans.

[6:00] all of a sudden, Tituba’s folk tales and superstitions told to the children become pagan rituals. And, I doubt there would have been a crystal ball in the household of Rev Samuel Parris, the Minister, let alone anywhere else in Salem. It would have been a superfluous luxury item in 1692 Salem.

[12.25] Barbara Morrigan, at a Wiccan gathering reads out the names of all those who were executed at Salem, honouring them, as if they were really witches. They were not. There was not one witch executed at Salem. They were all Christian.

[17.23] Marie Guerriero talks about there being so many misconceptions about witches, naming a few derogatory descriptions of witches. But, there have been no misconceptions about witches for they have always been evil supernatural beings, never good flesh and blood humans.

[17.48] the narrator mention that ‘’the term ‘witch’ comes from an ancient word, ‘Wicca’, which was an ancient folk religion’’. What rubbish, Wicca, the religion, is not ancient. The narrator is peddling the long disproved Margret Murry hypothesis of a Witch Cult, which never existed.

[18.20] the narrator conflates witches, witchcraft, and Wicca, as if they are all one and the same. They are not.

[18.31] the narrator says that ‘’witchcraft follows a spiritual path, and is no way connected with evil, malice, or harm’’.
What rubbish again. There is a lot of witchcraft that can only be described as baneful magic.

[18.40] the narrator goes on to say, ‘’… the long held credo of the witch is do what you will, harm none''.
Rubbish, this is not a witchcraft creed for witchcraft does not have a creed, but, it is a Wiccan creed, and is only as ‘long held’ since Gerald Gardner invented Wicca in the 1940s or 50s. not very long at all.

[21.33] Suzanna Budapest mentions ''they, [the accused witches] ‘’…were just doing nature worship’’… No, no, no, they were all Christians, the only worshiping they would have been doing would have been to God or some saint etc. Suzanna Budapest is here just regurgitating the long disproved Murry theory.

[23.12] the narrator says, [that the witchcraft persecutions] ''has come to be known as ‘the woman’s Holocaust’'.
This is a new one to me. Seems they are making it up as they go along. Also, using such a term as the ‘holocaust’, which is in everybody’s mind is associated with the ‘Jewish Holocaust’, to then misappropriate that word to promulgate a false history of witchcraft, seems a bit low and distasteful to me.

[25.12] about the late middle ages, the narrator says, ‘’many still practised the ancient rituals …of the Mother Goddess..’’. No they did not. By this time of the middle ages, any female reference would have been directed to Mary, mother of Jesus, in a very Christian way, not a pagan way.

[27.22] Susannah Budapest claims an 800 year old family tree.
I doubt very much that anyone not of noble stock would be able to trace their lineage back that far.

[28.12] Barbara Morrigan, a Wiccan, says ‘’it is very important to us to reclaim the word ‘witch’ because of the people that died during the burning time. If we don’t remember that, then those kinds of persecutions can happen again’’.
Well, there is nothing to reclaim, because the people who were burnt as witches were not witches but, as I keep saying, unfortunate Christians. Secondly, Barbara Morrigan is a Wiccan, not a witch. She is trying to claim a heritage that is not hers to claim. If she is worried about being persecuted, then why on earth adopt a title that denotes an evil supernatural being in the first place? The fault lies wholly with her in that respect.

[30.18] Barbara Morrigan says that ‘’Wicca is a religion, a religion of the witch’’.
The first bit is correct, that Wicca is a religion. But, the second bit that it is a religion of the witch is not correct. Classical traditional witches of folklore and superstition did not have a religion, and modern Wiccans cannot be witches for witches are supernatural beings.

[30.34] the narrator says that ‘’the religion of Wicca is re-emerging’’.
Wicca was founded by Gerald Gardner in the 1940s or 50s; so Wicca is not re-emerging, for it did not exist before then. There is nothing to re-emerge from.

[30.48] Janet Farrar, too, mentions that ‘’people are afraid of it, of losing their homes, their children, their jobs… ‘’.
I think Janet Farrar here means that people are worried of coming out as being Wiccan or becoming Wiccan. But, as I have said already, then why on earth give yourself a name that means a supernatural bad being. The modern day Druids don’t seem to have a problem with the public in that sense.

Any way I’ll leave it there, for it will be just repetition of the same – and, you get the idea of what I think of the documentary.

#3 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:35 PM

Well everyone knows I am the expert on witchcraft so this shouldn't be a problem...

View PostOrlando, on 28 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

I found it painful to watch, and still do.
I had problems with it right from the start, where, 17seconds in, in the opening titles it claims, ‘’They have lived among us for ten thousand years’’, as if they, the witches, ever existed.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I will eventually. Although I did skim through it and nothing cheesy jumped out at me so I put it up.

Witch; witchcraft are very broad terms and before you can determine the existence of something chronologically or otherwise you first must define it. Now there are various classifications for the term witch that are made reference to all throughout history, even in the Bible. So it's not really a question of whether or not they existed, but more of a question of what they were exactly.

View PostOrlando, on 28 August 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

(at 1:05 minutes in) ‘’Four hundred thousand still practice their ancient rites today’’.
That is not true. Wicca was founded Gerald Gardner circa 1940s or 50s. It did not exist before then.
As for so called ‘Traditional’ witches, they have all established themselves post Wicca, and therefore are newer than Wiccans.

I believe wicca should be omitted from a context pertaining to an ideology of traditional witchcraft, and I'm quite certain that many would regard this as tantamount to separating the wheat from the chaff. I have even heard some refer to this flavor of neo-paganism as new age garbage.

Traditional witchcraft is very old. I don't know exactly how old and I'm not really sure anyone can answer that, but my guess would be that it regresses at least a couple millennia beyond the current era.

I did post another video recently in a different thread here, and there was a lady in it that was a historian and she seemed pretty credible, and I noticed that some of the other videos I looked at had her as well so I went with one that did not include her and perhaps this was a degradation.

Edited by Spida, 28 August 2018 - 06:52 PM.

Scribe of the Gods; My Ritual Blog: http://occultcorpus....stical-qabalah/; Black Cat Music Blog: http://occultcorpus....lack-cat-music/

#4 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

Narrated by professor Ronald Hutton :

Edited by Spida, 29 August 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#5 Spida

Lunaticus

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:29 PM

Queen of the night; Ishtar; Astarte; Inanna :

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users