- - - - -

Need Suggestions On Christian Books, Magick, Mysticism, Mysteries.

6 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:54 AM

Some classics I've been thinking of on Christian Magick is The Magus or Celestial Intelligencer by Francis Barret, and John Dees Enochian Magick, but need works on more. Christian Cabala, Rosicrucian works, even Christian Heremeticism, like some Golden Dawn material.

Also works on ancient magic interest me. I have the Ancient Coptic Christian Magic book. Gnosticism has Magick, but that's a form of Christianity escaping the archons and demiurge, stuff I don't ascribe to.

Ancient Old Testament mysteries and magic fascinate me, as does extra biblical texts like The Book of Enoch. Just need more, ALOT more suggestions.

Got a few mysteries of the Bible books. Those are pretty good too.
[i]There are no gods but God, we know him through his order, his mind, the the miracle Jesus Christ. Give up most magic, give up enlightenment and or transcendence. No one can behold God, infinite is beyond, submit and know it creates and sustains creation forever. No true limit, no true death, no true nothingness. E=MC2, and gain and sustainability are greater than loss. The universe infinitely is expanding, growing becoming better and more immortal as are we. Resist evil, for it is an excess, ultimately a lie of true death. There is hell, as the Bible says, but there is choice! Choose wisely. Human origins, cosmic life, magical creatures, heaven, hell, earth and purgatory, many religions. Fascinating indeed, but in this world, no man was like Jesus Christ, and has the worlds largest faith.[\i]

#2 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:12 AM

Suppose Aquinas is out of the question? How about C.S. Lewis? Mere Christianity and The Four Loves.

You might also enjoy the writings of Seraphim Rose, or some of the other Orthodox saints and their writings. In Memphis the SR people were always passing out leaflets called Death to the World and Mother Wisdom that professed intinerant monasticism as a form of punk.

There is even Christian astrology. Kenneth Fleming's laborious God's Voice in the Stars is the benchmark for the subject.

Christian mysticism is a huge thing, way beyond the grimoires and pseudo-Agrippa. Benny Hinn is out there blowing demons right now for $40 million. You can find the whole range of quality in the literature of exorcism. On one end of the spectrum there is something more mainstream like Martin's Hostage to the Devil. Michael Harper's Spiritual Warfare and other handbooks for the independent chaplain are in most of the Christian bookseller chains like Lighthouse Books. Maybe try browsing there and getting into the bibliographies.

Edited by Imperial Arts, 06 August 2018 - 04:14 AM.

https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#3 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

Thank you IA very much!!!
[i]There are no gods but God, we know him through his order, his mind, the the miracle Jesus Christ. Give up most magic, give up enlightenment and or transcendence. No one can behold God, infinite is beyond, submit and know it creates and sustains creation forever. No true limit, no true death, no true nothingness. E=MC2, and gain and sustainability are greater than loss. The universe infinitely is expanding, growing becoming better and more immortal as are we. Resist evil, for it is an excess, ultimately a lie of true death. There is hell, as the Bible says, but there is choice! Choose wisely. Human origins, cosmic life, magical creatures, heaven, hell, earth and purgatory, many religions. Fascinating indeed, but in this world, no man was like Jesus Christ, and has the worlds largest faith.[\i]

#4 Kuroyagi

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Only my opinion but the Catholic Church is not only one of the few if not the only organisation w a proven unbroken tradition from antiquity but has also the greatest depth of ritual; maybe all trad Western esotericism is based on it, most prominently the GD. Compared to these Catholic Rites the Complete GD Sys is like latter compared to the book New Avatar Power (knowing eg the MP beforehand, one gets about 50% more out of it only by reading alone). So I'd delve into that but from the priests' perspective ('how to celebrate mass?') but w the mind of an occultist (which is of course highly blasphemous). Every little gesture, every item every colour has a rich tradition behind it. So, for starters, I'd get two books:

The pre- V2 Tridentine Roman Latin Missal with an English translation (in it there also should be eplained the structure and meaning of each part of the Mass)

and the Exercises of Igantius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits.

as for Protestantism, I heard that the frist and second generation were still bearable, I also heard that the (Greek, Russian etc) Orthodox faiths have even a more elaborate ritual w certain Byzantine atavisms intact but I have no exp there.

#5 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

Very interesting stuff Kuroyagi, thank you much! As far as the pseudo Agrippa stuff I was thinking of buying some of that and got a funny feeling. I thought, what exactly am I doing? Do I really want to study this stuff on kabbalistic angels, watchers, demons, etc again. What was this occult purge and hell I've been through last few years??!

You guys have much better suggestions!

#6 The Stalking Hyena

Labore et Constantia

• Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Try this, homie:
http://classics.mit....ds.1.first.html

Not exactly Christian in origin, but very influential in mystical Christian thought down the ages. I got my pdf off a Christian academic website, but after reading it all the way through I just had to have a copy in print.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#7 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Hyena, man!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users