Jump to content


* * * * * 1 votes

Stalking Hyena Artwork - At Nemi


10 replies to this topic

#1 monsnoleedra

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

I noticed this particular item on your deviant art site and though I'd bring it over here. One to compliment you on it and to ask about it as well.

I am curious as to why you gave Diana an Elvish look in the piece? It doesn't distract from the piece I like the cooler shades of blue and the nighttime presence of the aura of the picture in general. The procession in the background with their torches gives it that that added presence. I also think you capture the essence of "Diana's Mirror" especially well in the reflection upon the surface of Nemi and capturing Diana Nemorensis.

Posted Image
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#2 The Stalking Hyena

    Labore et Constantia

  • Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

 monsnoleedra, on 05 June 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

I noticed this particular item on your deviant art site and though I'd bring it over here. One to compliment you on it and to ask about it as well.

I am curious as to why you gave Diana an Elvish look in the piece? It doesn't distract from the piece I like the cooler shades of blue and the nighttime presence of the aura of the picture in general. The procession in the background with their torches gives it that that added presence. I also think you capture the essence of "Diana's Mirror" especially well in the reflection upon the surface of Nemi and capturing Diana Nemorensis.

Much appreciated and I am glad you enjoy it. I don't know why I gave the Goddess elfin features, it's been so long since I painted it. Usually the way it works is that, during the process, little ideas pop up like propositions and I go with them if they feel right. Perhaps I was trying to emphasize a sylvan aspect. I did play a lot of D&D when I was a kid.
I do recall that the blues were a bit of a chore, trying to mingle pthalo and ultramarine to achieve the spectral without becoming necrotic.
I also recall that I was initially inspired by a documentary about Nemi, which made me go back and re-read sections of The Golden Bough. Since my paintings can take weeks to years to develop, there are probably other influences in there as well.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#3 monsnoleedra

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:25 PM

Well I think you did a good job. It's dark enough to make it both spectral on Diana's part to make her in Spirit form at Nemi, to make the viewer know it's night time as the procession rounds the lake and show the mirror effect upon the lake. While you may not have intended it or it may just be my knowledge and perspective I think you also capture the lessor spirit of the Rex in the cloud formation at the lower part of Diana's Bow. You see a male forehead, sort of hollow eye sockets, large nose, mustache, mouth and chin.

He is tied to the goddess yet away from the procession which holds with his story at Nemi as well. Placing him in the sacred woods and as a loner until a new challenger arrives to defeat and take his place. Placed against her bow shows it will be by combat and death, his death. But out of sight of the procession, though the high priestess will according to what we do know is the one who will allow the challenge to be made and perhaps state the time is right for the challenge to occur.

So to me you captured so many elements of Nemi and the worship of Diana Nemorensis' at the Mirror of Diana.

Curious do you still have the painting?
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#4 Spida

    Lunaticus

  • Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

I've checked out SH's Deviant Art on a few occasions. I've never mentioned anything about it, until now. So the Guy is a brilliant Artist for sure. I picked up Oil Painting as a main hobby about a decade ago, and did it for a couple years. I could only stumble across Bob Ross so many times on Channel 10(PBS) before giving it a shot, and then I tried learning from Jerry Yarnell. I had VHS tapes from both, but in the end I think the best stuff I did was when I sketched in pencil and then finished it as an Oil Painting, mostly Still Life, and Wildlife, but only a few.

My Girlfriend is doing it now. We had an Art Event a while back where we both did a quick work. She's no Artist, but I guess she has fun with it. I ridiculed her for a while because we were doing a night scene and her Moon looked more like the Sun ! And she had Clouds in back of it ! Clouds in Outer Space lol. So she is smart when it comes to some things, but yeah that was sad !

Maybe that's a bit much, but there it is !

P.S. I did learn a lot about Color Theory though as well, and that has come in very handy on many occasions !

:-)

Edited by Spida, 06 June 2018 - 09:13 PM.

Scribe of the Gods; My Ritual Blog: http://occultcorpus....stical-qabalah/; Black Cat Music Blog: http://occultcorpus....lack-cat-music/

#5 The Stalking Hyena

    Labore et Constantia

  • Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

 monsnoleedra, on 06 June 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:


So to me you captured so many elements of Nemi and the worship of Diana Nemorensis' at the Mirror of Diana.

Curious do you still have the painting?

Again, thanks. What you said makes me want to dig out the Golden Bough now, if I can find it. I didn't deliberately intend to put any figures in the mist, but I think that the mists represent a different kind of mirror.

As to the painting, I do still have it. It serves as a sort of threshold guardian.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#6 The Stalking Hyena

    Labore et Constantia

  • Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:10 AM

 Spida, on 06 June 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

I've checked out SH's Deviant Art on a few occasions. I've never mentioned anything about it, until now. So the Guy is a brilliant Artist for sure.

I give all the credit to God. I am just a fool He has allowed to enter into the Temple of the Imagination. :mellow:

 Spida, on 06 June 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

I picked up Oil Painting as a main hobby about a decade ago, and did it for a couple years. I could only stumble across Bob Ross so many times on Channel 10(PBS) before giving it a shot, and then I tried learning from Jerry Yarnell. I had VHS tapes from both, but in the end I think the best stuff I did was when I sketched in pencil and then finished it as an Oil Painting, mostly Still Life, and Wildlife, but only a few.

I will always miss Bob Ross. He had the same haircut as my Dad. Learned a lot from him, but I still can't paint happy trees.

You ever post anything on OC? I probably missed it, me being so neglectful and all.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#7 monsnoleedra

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:30 AM

Not sure if your interested but a couple of descent resources on Diana Nemorensis are:

Roman Religion and the Cult of Diana at Aricia by C. M. C. Green, Cambridge Press, 2007 (HB) 2012 (PB) ISBN 978-O-521-85158-9 OR ISBN 978-I-107-40753-4

FROM ARTEMIS TO DIANA THE GODDESS OF MAN AND BEAST, 12 ACTA HYPERBORA 2009, Museum Tusculanum Press, University of Copenhagen, ISBN 978-87-635-0788-2

Diana Nemorensis, American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 64, No.2, Apr. 1960 (pgs 137-144) JSTOR Article

The JSTOR article and the particular chapter from the Artemis to Diana book I've found online at various places to include www.academia.edu which is both a free read site and a pay-to-read site for membership with download ability.
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#8 The Stalking Hyena

    Labore et Constantia

  • Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:54 AM

 monsnoleedra, on 10 June 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

Not sure if your interested but a couple of descent resources on Diana Nemorensis are:

Roman Religion and the Cult of Diana at Aricia by C. M. C. Green, Cambridge Press, 2007 (HB) 2012 (PB) ISBN 978-O-521-85158-9 OR ISBN 978-I-107-40753-4

FROM ARTEMIS TO DIANA THE GODDESS OF MAN AND BEAST, 12 ACTA HYPERBORA 2009, Museum Tusculanum Press, University of Copenhagen, ISBN 978-87-635-0788-2

Diana Nemorensis, American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 64, No.2, Apr. 1960 (pgs 137-144) JSTOR Article

The JSTOR article and the particular chapter from the Artemis to Diana book I've found online at various places to include www.academia.edu which is both a free read site and a pay-to-read site for membership with download ability.

Sounds awesome. Thanks:)
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#9 Spida

    Lunaticus

  • Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

 The Stalking Hyena, on 10 June 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

I give all the credit to God. I am just a fool He has allowed to enter into the Temple of the Imagination. :mellow:

I will always miss Bob Ross. He had the same haircut as my Dad. Learned a lot from him, but I still can't paint happy trees.

You ever post anything on OC? I probably missed it, me being so neglectful and all.

Upon more careful consideration I suppose the Painting Phase was closer to two Decades ago(time flies). I remember taking a walk to the two local Libraries in hopes of finding something useful to aid in my endeavor, and also picking up one or two instructional books from Barnes and Noble. I specifically remember one of the Books I chose was "The Seascape Painters Problem Book" by E. John Robinson. So it should be no surprise that one of the comments I had on the Deviant Art was: The Guy paints water really well ! lol yes indeed !

I've never Posted anything, but I've had biased opinions from aquaintances, and my Sister being a really good Artist came to see me and had a look at my stuff. I had previously told her she could pick one to take home with her. So of course she took my best Oil Painting as I knew she would - a mundane Landscape with water and Ducks, but done pretty well technically I suppose.

Yeah Bob Ross did some pretty cool Evergreens using the Fan Brush ! And a plethora of Foliage Using the edge of the big one or two inch brush ! As opposed to the traditional Jerry Yarnell who used the smaller brush and the 'Scumbling' technique for Trees and similar.

So, in memory of Bob Ross and his hair:

The Bob Ross Chia Pet
Posted Image

P.S.

When I heard Bob Ross had died, I later formed a theory having watched him paint using those big brushes. I observed him always beating them on the Neck of the Easel and getting a ton of Paint Thinner in the air, as if almost to be enveloped in a toxic mist by it, so years of exposure to that sort of thing can't be good.

Edited by Spida, 13 June 2018 - 11:39 AM.

Scribe of the Gods; My Ritual Blog: http://occultcorpus....stical-qabalah/; Black Cat Music Blog: http://occultcorpus....lack-cat-music/

#10 Reflectionseeker

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • 451 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:45 AM

Hyena said:

I don't know why I gave the Goddess elfin features

Was it all them Japanese videos you'd been watching?
Ne supra crepidam sutor iudicaret

#11 The Stalking Hyena

    Labore et Constantia

  • Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

 Reflectionseeker, on 24 June 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Was it all them Japanese videos you'd been watching?

No, those inspired The Chef and Entangled Fairy 6.
Get thee behind me Satan.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users