New In Town

4 replies to this topic

#1 Portia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:50 AM

Hiya! I'll be using the name Portia here, I guess. Is it after the spider or the character? No one knows! It's a mystery!

I'm working on a PhD in mathematics and have a longstanding interest in art, lockpicking, and archery.

Occultwise, I'm currently very interested in the work of Jake Stratton-Kent and have a history of mucking about with energy work and related concepts. The latter I don't really engage in much of now, as I never had any talent for it anyways. I love JSK's central thesis of goetia as a genuine and important magical inheritance for the western tradition. Alongside this though, I find myself continually frustrated by lack of direct and straightforward suggestions by him, in the form of rituals or advice on constructing rituals, to get out from under the thumb of the solomonic grimoires when approaching this work, and I'm concerned about my own ability to make meaningful substitutions here.

On the other side, I am also extremely drawn to the work of Michael Bertiaux. I find my fascination here endlessly frustrating. Whereas JSK's work is rigorously cited and grounded in an excellent understanding of history. Bertiaux's work is, to put it mildly, completely insane. In some cases lapsing into what can only be described as techno-gnostic gibberish. Despite this, I find myself consistently drawn to both his prose, and the works of other people on the path he has created. Especially the visual art. Ontological Graffiti is a lovely book, but I'm concerned about the safety of his approach that seems to lead to at the end of things, turning yourself into basically a half-way home for wandering spirits? That's terrifying!

Anyways, yeah, I ramble a lot! Nice to meet you all!

#2 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

Welcome to the Forum Portia!

#3 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Hoorah! You are here at last :)

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#4 Curious Cat

Dances With The Dead

• Owner
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Portia, on 11 February 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

On the other side, I am also extremely drawn to the work of Michael Bertiaux. I find my fascination here endlessly frustrating. Whereas JSK's work is rigorously cited and grounded in an excellent understanding of history. Bertiaux's work is, to put it mildly, completely insane. In some cases lapsing into what can only be described as techno-gnostic gibberish. Despite this, I find myself consistently drawn to both his prose, and the works of other people on the path he has created. Especially the visual art. Ontological Graffiti is a lovely book, but I'm concerned about the safety of his approach that seems to lead to at the end of things, turning yourself into basically a half-way home for wandering spirits? That's terrifying!

Welcome to the forum, Portia.

There are a few people, myself included, that work a lot with Michael Bertiaux's books and the spirits associated with them. There is a VGW thread that you might find worthwhile.

I too was worried about "turning yourself into basically a half-way home for wandering spirits." It doesn't exactly work like that though. It is my opinion that the average person already has spirits hanging around them even if they aren't magicians/shamans/occultists. Some of a person's spiritual biome is healthy, but many times it is not. I would argue through personal experience that one of the events that occurs with working with this current is that it shakes up a person's spiritual biome. If done properly, some of the spirits that are not healthy that are hanging around a person are displaced by some of the new spirits that can help you accomplish your goals materially and spiritually.

I am of the opinion that the average person is heavily influenced by the spirits around them in everyday. This just changes some of the spirits. Changing it up helps a person overcome some of their problems or at least come to terms with them so that they can be dealt with in a more constructive manner.

#5 Portia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:18 AM

Curious Cat, on 11 February 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Welcome to the forum, Portia.

There are a few people, myself included, that work a lot with Michael Bertiaux's books and the spirits associated with them. There is a VGW thread that you might find worthwhile.

I too was worried about "turning yourself into basically a half-way home for wandering spirits." It doesn't exactly work like that though. It is my opinion that the average person already has spirits hanging around them even if they aren't magicians/shamans/occultists. Some of a person's spiritual biome is healthy, but many times it is not. I would argue through personal experience that one of the events that occurs with working with this current is that it shakes up a person's spiritual biome. If done properly, some of the spirits that are not healthy that are hanging around a person are displaced by some of the new spirits that can help you accomplish your goals materially and spiritually.

That's good. I was a little unnerved by the lack of banishing, etc. But it seems like what the VGW spirits crave most is a kind of vicarious physical experience. That is, they want the experiences that embodied individuals have and that the reason they're so eager to establish contact is because of this. It would also explain the lack of any real malice on their part. I will consider this in more detail though, as I still feel a simultaneous attraction and repulsion to the spirits and the current.

I am of the opinion that the average person is heavily influenced by the spirits around them in everyday. This just changes some of the spirits. Changing it up helps a person overcome some of their problems or at least come to terms with them so that they can be dealt with in a more constructive manner.

Huh! Neat!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users