Intentional Out Of Body Projection: A Mechanical Method

95 replies to this topic

#81 coralhatch

Enigma

• Old Timers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

That seems strange to me. If you're concerned with self delusion, but you're also dismissing the value in supposing a causal relationship between your practices and your results, how do you evaluate your work? You say you don't like linear judgments, but a diagnosis of self delusion also requires a clear linear judgment - so why avoid it?

The occult refers to the hidden, not the unknown, and the Mystery traditions refer to what is ineffable, not what is ephemeral. The idiopathic still has a cause.

I feel like this is a parry to what is a fairly straightforward question: what do you do during an OBE?

#82 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:16 AM

View Postcoralhatch, on 15 February 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

That seems strange to me. If you're concerned with self delusion, but you're also dismissing the value in supposing a causal relationship between your practices and your results, how do you evaluate your work? You say you don't like linear judgments, but a diagnosis of self delusion also requires a clear linear judgment - so why avoid it?

You misunderstand.

The occult refers to the hidden, not the unknown, and the Mystery traditions refer to what is ineffable, not what is ephemeral. The idiopathic still has a cause.

You're mistaken.

I feel like this is a parry to what is a fairly straightforward question: what do you do during an OBE?

My body stands or sits in a chair because if it's laying down I'm more likely to fall asleep.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#83 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

View PostR. Eugene Laughlin, on 15 February 2018 - 01:16 AM, said:

You're mistaken.

They certainly are."The occult refers to the hidden, not the unknown, and the Mystery traditions refer to what is ineffable, not what is ephemeral." is flawed both in its etymology and its conspectus.

Edited by violetstar, 15 February 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#84 coralhatch

Enigma

• Old Timers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

This is a stupid digression, but no, I'm not mistaken.

Occult - late 15th century (as a verb): from Latin occultare ‘secrete’, frequentative of occulere ‘conceal’, based on celare ‘to hide’

Edited by coralhatch, 15 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#85 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

View Postcoralhatch, on 15 February 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

Occult - late 15th century (as a verb): from Latin occultare ‘secrete’, frequentative of occulere ‘conceal’, based on celare ‘to hide’
Sorry I thought you were speaking of its usage today not in the 15hC.I love to digress its what makes things more exciting. :)

The occult (from the Latin word occultus "clandestine, hidden, secret") is "knowledge of the hidden".In common English usage, occult refers to "knowledge of the paranormal", as opposed to "knowledge of the measurable", usually referred to as science. The term is sometimes taken to mean knowledge that "is meant only for certain people" or that "must be kept hidden", but for most practicing occultists it is simply the study of a deeper spiritual reality that extends beyond pure reason and the physical sciences.The terms esoteric and arcane can also be used to describe the occult,in addition to their meanings unrelated to the supernatural.
It also describes a number of magical organizations or orders, the teachings and practices taught by them, and to a large body of current and historical literature and spiritual philosophy related to this subject.
Wiki.

#86 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

View Postcoralhatch, on 15 February 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

It is a stupid digression. I wasn't talking about the etymology, but making a practical point about magic and how it works from my point of view, and about the drive to know what caused what. The meaning of occult that applies to the magician is hidden by the nature of things. A rough analogy is occult blood in a stool sample. You know it might be there but can't be sure by looking at it. That's what occult means in that context. The difference is that there's a reliable method for detecting hidden blood in fecal matter.

In the domain of magic effects, all you can do is look, and it's no more effective than eyeballing a pile shit to find blood. There's no [reliable] technology to show the links between magic acts and life events. Looking and imagining you see something... especially with a strong drive to find something? That's a fantastic recipe for self-deception, a trap that leads to superstition rather than progress. So I advise to all sincere seekers, let it go or risk the consequences. Foster comfort in not knowing. That's the real path forward.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 15 February 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#87 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostR. Eugene Laughlin, on 15 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

It is a stupid digression. I wasn't talking about the etymology, but making a practical point about magic and how it works from my point of view, and about the drive to know what caused what. The meaning of occult that applies to the magician is hidden by the nature of things. A rough analogy is occult blood in a stool sample. You know it might be there but can't be sure by looking at it. That's what occult means in that context. The difference is that there's a reliable method for detecting hidden blood in fecal matter.

In the domain of magic effects, all you can do is look, and it's no more effective than eyeballing a pile shit to find blood. There's no technology to show the links between magic acts and life events. Looking and imaging you see something... especially with a strong drive to find something? That's a fantastic recipe for self-deception, a trap that leads to superstition rather than progress. So I advise to all sincere seekers, let it go or risk the consequences. Foster comfort in not knowing. That's the real path forward.
When someone makes a statement that is flawed or misleading any resulting attempt to rectify that statement in the context it was made can hardly be termed a stupid digression especially when argued against with a personal definition of the terms in hand gained by rewording the base definitions already shown.

But as always rather than become embroiled in a digression I did not actually initiate I will move on.

#88 coralhatch

Enigma

• Old Timers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Last night I couldn't sleep, as I had been stewing in some emotional pain over an event that happened last year that I had been unable to let go of. The issue had caused me some turmoil, and did not seem to be letting up. Frustrated, I decided upon trying an incantation for Tzadkiel from the Shorshei ha-Shemot, and requested relief from the constant mental and emotional rut of the issue. Upon reciting the incantation, I received a mental image of a hand being placed upon my forehead, as a benediction. Immediately, I experienced relief, in a way that has been previously elusive and lasting since, that I have not managed by other methods for months now.

What caused the effect I experienced? Was it a form of organised autosuggestion? A preferential psychic medium for placebo? Did the great angel Tzadkiel in fact descend from the heavens, whip out his angel cock and jizz in my face for a laugh?

The mechanism is occult. The effect was subjective but observable. There has been an experiment.

Had I tried it and found no effect, I would alter my expectations, dismiss the use of the operation entirely, or consider why it hadn't worked at all.

If I were to tell you that it was the most powerful and effective and foolproof technique ever discovered, you would be forgiven for thinking I was delusional. If I was to suggest with absolute certainty that the observable effects had a 1:1 causal relationship to my actions, then it'd also be fair to suggest I was lacking the appropriate epistemological humility.

But what would you make of me if I said that I was trying the actions, but refused to speculate as to whether they would have any observable effect whatsoever, and refused to suggest which effects I might hope those actions would correspond to?

When people throw shit at the wall to see what sticks - at least they check to see what does stick!

But whatever - we clearly have different views on how we think about magic, that's fine. Again, I'm not asking you to prove anything to me, I'm just interested in what you actually do when you have an OBE. Given your obtuse responses, I'm going to assume it's nothing interesting.

#89 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

View Postcoralhatch, on 15 February 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

I'm just interested in what you actually do when you have an OBE. Given your obtuse responses, I'm going to assume it's nothing interesting.

I appreciate that.

#90 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

If you tell me that you've read a book that changed your life, and I ask what's in the book and how it changed your life, I expect that you could probably tell me about some of the events or characters in the book and how it helped to change your life.

My father is one of those people who, throughout his life, held a rigid belief system so thoroughly Atheist that Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking might have been dismissed at some point as peddlers of superstition. When my mother died, 13 years ago, he had what he refers to as a "paranormal experience" and what I refer to as a moment of stress relief. To him, it was some kind of proof of life after death. His details remains mostly under abstraction, as his personal experience, and I haven't got the heart to suggest that they are perfectly normal physiological reactions to the event, but it was definitely a life-changing event. How did it change his life? I couldn't make an exact statement of it, but it did, and he is definitely more open to far out topics after years of mulling it over in his mind.

Is this the kind of thing you mean, about being unable to define precisely what changes were brought about as a result of the experience? While there is no one-to-one correlation of the paranormal experience and the general weakening of the Atheist Elite Guard within the frontal cortex of my father, it is something I have noticed and could be articulated as above.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#91 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

The training takes about year of daily effort for most people, at 10-20 minutes per day. There are four developmental phases.
Phase 1: Peripersonal space perception
Phase 2: Sequenced attentional control; expanding the triggers and range of peripersonal space perception
Phase 3: Adding a sequenced physical (include controlled breathing) routine to peripersonal space perception work
Phase 4. Projection exercises

Phase 3: Adding a sequenced physical (include controlled breathing) routine to peripersonal space perception work

Most of the Phase 3 work is added to the front end of the routine established during Phase 2, and the duration of daily Phase 2-like work is accordingly shortened to keep the work to about 20 minutes/day. The exercise follows familiar patterns in ritual magic. There is some resemblance to Tai Chi routines as well, but there are notable differences on both counts.

A new attentional skill is added during this phase that represents one of those most challenging aspects of the technique: both focused and diffused attention in multiple places at once. Unless directed otherwise, there should be no extra breaths between steps. Sequencing the actions with your breathing is a vital part of the technique. Don't indulge in extra breath cycles except where explicitly directed.

1. Start the session as usual, with a basic relaxation and focused breathing.

2. With arms at your sides, feet comfortably a few inches apart, concentrate your attention on the area below your feet. Feel the sensations there.

3. Take in a slow, steady inhalation while steadily raising your arms out to your sides and up to a position over your head, palms facing one another about 6 inches apart just as your lungs are filled to capacity. Simultaneously draw your attention up, around, and through your body, coming to rest between your hands just as they've come to their final position above your head. Hold your breath in for a few moments while holding this position and attentional focus.

4. On your next exhalation, reverse the previous procedure. Face your palms outward and lower your arms to their original position at your sides, but this time maintain the focal point above your head while simultaneously drawing your attention down, around, and through your body to a position below your feet. Hold the dual focus above and below with your lungs empty a few moments.

Notes on the steps through step 4. The dual focus demand of step 4 is quite challenging for most people. It's a good idea to spend the majority of your sessions working on just the steps up to step 4 for the first couple of weeks of Phase 3 training. For this initial period, after completing the 4th step as described above. Maintain the dual focus above and below and allow yourself to fade into a relaxed, steady breathing rhythm that you won't need to think about. If you lose the dual focus, reset and repeat steps 2 to 4, again lingering on the dual focus while breathing steadily. During these early weeks, spend the last 5-10 minutes of your session doing some Phase 2-like exercises (choose one per session, or mix it up). Always have a little bite to eat after your sessions, something healthy and not too much, especially if close to your regular bed time. When you feel comfortable with the dual focus, add the next steps to the routine, starting on the next inhalation after step 4.

5. Keep the dual focus above and below while taking in a slow, steady breath. Simultaneously, bend your elbows and raise your hands up to your chest, palms facing outward, just as your lungs are filled to capacity. Hold your breath in for a few moments with your attention focused in three places at once: above and below, and about your chest. Then as you exhale, lunge forward with one foot while pushing your hands forward and extend all of your attention forward (including the attention focused above and below) into the space in front of you as far as it will go till your lungs are emptied. Hold that position and attentional focus for a few moments.

Notes on step 5. When your attention extends out in front of you, let it go out to about 6 feet away from your body, then let it expand to include all of the space in your visual field in front of you at about that distance. A descriptive idea for the step 5 actions is that your attention drains from above and below to a powerful single focus about your chest area, and then out into the space in front of you like a beam, where it then diffuses into a broad field cover all of the space before you.

You can expect to develop the ability to recognize qualitative differences in how you feel when focusing attention in one place or two places at once, and the difference between focusing on a limited area and a broader region. Make recognizing those distinctions a goal of the work at this stage.

6. Keep the diffused attention in the space where it was established while taking in a slow, steady breath and recentering your stance, returning arms to your sides. Allow a normal breathing rhythm for two-three breath cycles, and rotate your body 90 degrees to the right without losing the diffused attantional focus on area just established. Repeat steps 3 to 5 while facing the new direction. Then repeat this step, rotating your body another 90 degrees to the right, repeating steps 3 to 6 until you have returned to your original direction. When facing the original direction, repeat step 3 and 4 only. Keep the diffused attentional focus in each direction as you go, so that by the end of the process at the end of step 4 back at origin your attention is focused above and below you, as well as being diffused into the space all around you. Maintain this state as long as you can, or as long as you wish.

7. Finish the session with a Phase 2-like exercises while keeping attentional awareness on the diffused space around you. Finish the session as usual, and have a little something to eat, something healthy and not too much if near bedtime.

General notes on Phase 3. The the sequence from steps 3 to 5 are easy to memorize and take but two complete breath cycles to accomplish (despite the length of the description). These are action-packed breath cycles to be sure, but once learned, performance time is minimal. Extra time can and should be spent appreciating the sensations associated with the expanding mutli-focal attention at step 6, when a normal breathing rhythm is allowed and the specified attentional foci are the only requirements. While learning the steps and getting ideas of how multi-focused attention feels, you should stop and start over as needed. Always stop and start over if your concentration is broken, even for if but for a split second. The key to making this work successful is to occupy your attention completely, as described, and without straying to random thoughts. If random thoughts do intrude, don't beat yourself up about it. Stop, reset, and go again from the beginning. Work daily for flawless performance.

The brief pauses when a normal breathing rhythm is adopted are the most likely times that random thoughts might occur. The trick to preventing intruding thoughts is to intently maintain the specified multi-attentional focus. That is, random thoughts tend to come when the mind is doing nothing in particular, so do something in particular: keep your mind occupied with the directed multi-focused attention, and when that has become second nature, keep your mind occupied by the sensations that come with that attentional focus.

Once the sequence is well-learned, rehearse it from start to finish 2-3 times (or more) at each session, and always finishing with some Phase 2-like work, for a total of about 20 minutes per session. Continue daily in this manner until the simultaneous breathing, motions, and multi-attentional foci become second nature and can be performed without intruding thoughts. When the actions and focus become automatic and free of distraction, you’ll naturally become increasingly aware of your perceptual experience as the sequence of actions unfold. What becomes ever-clearer as your performance improves is that there's no meaningful difference between focusing attention on the space around you and occupying the space around you.

Spend at least 4-5 months working on Phase 3.

#92 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

Some comments on Phase 3:

Torn shoulder ligament from a boating accident means my left arm is not going anywhere near lifting over my head, but it is nice to see the Sign of Horus getting some use.

We have beat the horse to death, but this type of exercise is exactly the kind of thing that came under discussion in the "Magical Energy" thread. The usual interpretation - which was also offered by a Tai Chi instructor and, a Qigong instructor - is that these sensations represent a kind of energy. They say you are feeling your chi, and various stripes of New Age also promote that these sensations represent astral energy. I am extremely gratified to see this write-up avoid that, in favor of a more open-ended interpretation from experience.

On that note, these exercises are a great way to develop those sensations, as effectively as any form of martial arts, and that leaves the student with a fairly heavy question whose answer will likely impact their occult work for a long time. If, after doing these exercises, you do believe that you are actually raising and directing energy, there is a temptation to attribute other characteristics supposedly possessed by this kind of energy to the type of sensations generated by the technique. That might not lead to an accurate definition of what is happening, and the follow-up work will also be thrown off track, with the student thinking that more is happening than actually is happening.

I am eager to see how you develop this into an OBE technique, if for nothing else than to understand what you mean by the term and what you expect of the practice. Aside from those who want to play D&D in the astral world, I expect most people who are willing to spend a few months at these practices are expecting some kind of clairvoyance as the payoff.

#93 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:44 PM

View PostImperial Arts, on 25 February 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

Some comments on Phase 3:

Torn shoulder ligament from a boating accident means my left arm is not going anywhere near lifting over my head, but it is nice to see the Sign of Horus getting some use.

Any reasonable motion you can make can be pressed into service in this case. There's nothing magical about raising your arms over your head. The goal of Phase 3 is to develop a coordinating motion and breathing rhythm in conjunction with the attentional focus that drives the relevant sensations. The trick is to make motions that are consistent with the attentional focus, and the idea of pushing the attentional focus away from the body. When done well enough, the sensations naturally follow and can be extended to considerable distances. The multi-location attentional focus has unique effects that are difficult to describe. Having a diffuse attention on the space all around while maintaining focal attention on two distinct locations all at once... doing that well and with consistency is the key but it's not easy. That's why this technique takes a good year of committed work.

We have beat the horse to death, but this type of exercise is exactly the kind of thing that came under discussion in the "Magical Energy" thread. The usual interpretation - which was also offered by a Tai Chi instructor and, a Qigong instructor - is that these sensations represent a kind of energy. They say you are feeling your chi, and various stripes of New Age also promote that these sensations represent astral energy. I am extremely gratified to see this write-up avoid that, in favor of a more open-ended interpretation from experience.

I'm glad that's coming across. It's important, to my mind, because increasingly, people are unwilling to buy into the old storylines. They need methods that are more neutral.

I am eager to see how you develop this into an OBE technique, if for nothing else than to understand what you mean by the term and what you expect of the practice. Aside from those who want to play D&D in the astral world, I expect most people who are willing to spend a few months at these practices are expecting some kind of clairvoyance as the payoff.

After a couple of months of good Phase 3 work, the aspirant learns how it feels to be bigger than their physical body, in a manner of speaking. The phrase at the end of the instructions tells the tale: there's no meaningful difference between focusing attention on the space around you and occupying the space around you. In my own experience of the technique, I don't lose sensory awareness of my physical body so much as I'm not confined to it. So by the time the aspirant is ready to start Phase 4, they're already skilled at a kind of OOBE.

There are many benefits to this kind of work. I think that what a person can develop from it largely depends on personal factors, but for me, this kind of work separates people who practice magic from people who exercise superstitions.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 25 February 2018 - 10:45 PM.

#94 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

Phase 1: Peripersonal space perception
Phase 2: Sequenced attentional control; expanding the triggers and range of peripersonal space perception

Phase 4 work shouldn't be prosecuted until the Phase 3/2 work can be completed without conscious effort, and consistently with no random/extraneous thoughts from start to finish. From there, the Phase 4 sequence will be elaborated to include a little more physical motion and to extend the range of the diffused attentional state.

1. Perform Phase 3 steps 1 through 3 in your usual position, then take two steps forward from the starting position, leaving the attention above and below your head in place, Perform steps 4-6. Instead of rotating in place, walk the path of a quarter circle, and repeat the sequence at each quarter until you arrive back at the location of the first step 4 sequence. Take two steps backward to your original position between the attentional focus above and below.

Notes on step 1. After establishing the attentional focus above and below, stepping forward while leaving those attentional loci in place will take some practice to master. By the end of the full sequence you'll have focal attention above and below, and diffussed attention in the space 6-8 feet away from your body in every direction.

2. Finish the session with a Phase 2-like exercises while keeping attentional awareness on the diffused space around you. Finish the session as usual, and have a little something to eat, something healthy and not too much if near bedtime. Work on steps 1 and 2 until the full sequence can be rehearsed without conscious effort or extraneous thought, and then rehearse them for at least another month before moving on to step 3.

3. Sit in a chair and perform steps 1 and 2 of Phase 4 with your attention only. That is, instead of standing, taking steps forward, walking around in a circle, etc., simply focus your attention on the space where you normally stand, focus attention on the space above and below that attentional locus, draw the attention through that space as if you would be standing there, stretch your attention forward, and perform Phase 3 steps 4-6, etc. Complete the entire sequence in this manner. and following with attention only Phase 2-like work. End the session as usually.

Notes on step 3. While the difference between Phase 3 and Phase 4 work is descriptively minor, step 3 constitutes a rather large step in terms of skill. There's no need to rush the process. Work at it every day until the work can be completed with full sensory awareness of the fixed attentional loci, the borders of the diffused attention, and the space between. When you feel ready, add step 4 to the daily routine.

4. At the end of the full sequence, spend a little time appreciating the space in terms of how it feels. Explore the space with your attention at will. The sign of success at this work is that you're performing the whole sequence after the first step with not awareness of your physical body. There's a catch to using that particular thing as the sign of success. If you let yourself think about it, you'll focus you may inadvertently focus attention on your physical body to check, which of course will bring sensory awareness of your physical body to mind. The trick here is to exercise this work everyday to the best of your ability, and eventually you'll realize that you're awareness has become independent of your physical body.

5. When you've mastered step 4, you're free to go and do what inspiration dictates while your body sits in a chair. Generally speaking, deciding where you want to be will get you there, but everyone is different and no specific instruction can be offered beyond: do what you will.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 11 March 2018 - 03:58 PM.

#95 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Just FYI I've copy-pasted parts 1-4 of this and sent it along to a friend who is obsessive about the literature and disciplines of Astral Projection. He has a background in martial arts and has done similar exercises with "chi," and I will relate back his experiences when I hear of them. He received the article with enthusiasm.

Websites these days receive less attention than dog poop on a sidewalk in San Francisco. You should consider putting together a paperback for those who are not into forums and web reading.

#96 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Just FYI I've copy-pasted parts 1-4 of this and sent it along to a friend who is obsessive about the literature and disciplines of Astral Projection. He has a background in martial arts and has done similar exercises with "chi," and I will relate back his experiences when I hear of them. He received the article with enthusiasm.

I'll gladly receive the feedback. Thanks for sharing the method with your friend.

Websites these days receive less attention than dog poop on a sidewalk in San Francisco. You should consider putting together a paperback for those who are not into forums and web reading.

I recently converted the instructions into a 20-page booklet, which includes a couple of suggested applications other than OOBe. I plan to sell it in my store for $5, and give it away with select purchases (tiny temple boxes, etc.). I'm working on a number of similarly-sized pamphlets with the same intention. I don't have plans for wider-scale publishing.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 24 March 2018 - 06:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users