90 replies to this topic

#1 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Introduction

Out of Body (OOB) experiences lie within the bounds of normal human capacities, as they can occur spontaneously (i.e. without training) under various circumstances, and because good evidence suggests that it can be learned with effort. Various names have been attached to the experience, the most common being Astral Projection. That term and others, however, tend to connote or imply some particular metaphysical constructs, such as an astral plane of existence and a corresponding astral body, etc. It's a reasonable assumption that the naturally occurring experience that anyone might have given amenable conditions (e.g. traumatic injury and near death experiences), served as the initial inspiration for some such elaborations on the nature of reality.

From that point of view, it's also reasonable to assume that the OOB experience is universal, but interpretational variations on why we can have them and what they mean are essentially cultural, and moreover, are inherently biasing. To elaborate, whether before or after a personal OOBE, if a person has been exposed to cultural ideas of an astral plane and corresponding subtle body, it's likely that they'll interpret the experience in a manner consistent with the ideas they're exposed to, as opposed to deriving a personal interpretation from scratch (even the name of the forum I'm posting to embeds a cultural interpretation of such experiences). That includes religious and occult studies-related interpretations as well as the relatively modern interpretation that it's an entirely mental experience, something of an elaborate perceptual illusion. In the past, before widespread travel and international information exchange were common, competing ideas about such experiences were rare; most people were exposed to a single interpretation and therefore readily used it at need. Today though, competing ideas about nearly everything spiritual, metaphysical or occult studies-related are part and parcel of our way of life.

Therefore, people living in internet-ubiquitous societies, along current standards of general education, often face something of a choice among interpretation(s) for relevant phenomena. That kind of choice is usually not made by a conscious deliberation process; it's made relatively automatically, based primarily on personal proclivity. One interpretation will usually resonate better with one's preexisting mindset (other preferred ideas), relative to the alternatives. I think it's worth pointing out that the mental-perceptual illusion interpretation along with more traditional ideas are increasingly in direct conflict for some individuals, and when no single interpretation rises clearly above another, that it's not an easy conflict to resolve. As an aside, I have a theory about conflicts of that nature becoming increasingly common and some predictions of where that trend is leading, but I'll save that discussion for another thread. For now...

In my opinion, if an individual wants to maximize the value of any such phenomena, it's worth making a conscious decision to try to approach it with as neutral an attitude as possible. It may be somewhat artificial to do so, because no conscious decision process is likely to override one's initial proclivities if they are sufficient set. I do believe none-the-less that it can be helpful to strive for a neutral attitude at the outset of a personal exploration of the phenomenon. What matters, I believe, is that if the real basis of the experience is factually inconsistent with one's preferred interpretation, the preferred interpretation may be a limiting factor with respect to real progress. I posit that anyone with a progressive mindset will reasonably hope to grow beyond any such limitations, and a generally neutral mindset is preferable to a biased one.

With all that in mind... Instead of Astral Projection, I prefer the term Intentional Out of Body Projection. It's descriptive and may be somewhat less loaded with cultural connotation. It's a small thing, but I belive any effort toward true growth may help.

There are many modern instructions available for intentionally facilitating the OOB experience. Most of them deliver a culturally-laden interpretation along with the practical instructions. That might limit ones success with the method, if, for example, the embedded interpretation is inconsistent with one's personal proclivities. There may also be an individual differences issue: it may be that some people come by the experience more readily than others.

The method I'm set to deliver is agnostic with respect to the causes of the phenomenon, as well as its meaning and potential applications, in service of the progressive ideal. It's also designed specifically to aid those who've experienced unsatisfactory results with other methods. The emphasis of the method is on tactile sensory experience, and when successful, the method develops the ability to achieve a more fully-sensory OOBE than most other methods, and fosters the skill to initiate the experience at will.

I'll detail the method in another post or two. In the meantime, questions, comments, and criticism of the ideas exposed above are welcome.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#2 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

I had an OBE produced by a car wreck in the late 90's which also completely destroyed most of the bones in my face and dislocated my left hip. Afterwards, I could not remember where I lived, names of my family, and other important things. The car was used by Saturn in a "no fatalities in this wreck" type of advertisement.

During the accident, I was "standing" about fifteen feet away, observing the wreck in progress and in very slow motion. When the movement ceased, I was back in my normal awareness in the back seat. It is definitely not a method to replicate, but it proved to me beyond any doubt that the experience is real and can be produced through physiological effects.

https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#3 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,633 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostImperial Arts, on 27 January 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

I had an OBE produced by a car wreck in the late 90's which also completely destroyed most of the bones in my face and dislocated my left hip. Afterwards, I could not remember where I lived, names of my family, and other important things. The car was used by Saturn in a "no fatalities in this wreck" type of advertisement.

During the accident, I was "standing" about fifteen feet away, observing the wreck in progress and in very slow motion. When the movement ceased, I was back in my normal awareness in the back seat. It is definitely not a method to replicate, but it proved to me beyond any doubt that the experience is real and can be produced through physiological effects.

Injury, near death experiences, and other types of extreme duress are associated with the most common reports of spontaneous OOBEs. Such events tend to be life-changing in any number of ways and for various reasons. There's no evidence of which I'm aware that events of that nature predict more OOBEs in the future, or an ability to have them at will, which of course is what this thread is about. Having an experience like that does tend to be convincing that it's a thing within the boundaries of natural human experience. It's an open question whether experiences of that sort are the same as experiences people can learn to have at will. People who've had both might have useful insights.

Is it something you've tried to develop since the accident? If so, I'm interested to know your personal compare and contrast of spontaneous and intentional OOBEs, if you care to share.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#4 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Throughout my teenage years, I was very eager to do this. I attempted the "Body of Light" and transfer of awareness method, to no avail, on a regular basis. Eventually I abandoned it in favor of the imaginative/immersive techniques by Ophiel, also without success, as well as about a hundred "Tattwa Vision" sessions filling a notebook with them in 1997-98 but not having the sort of OBE experience desired. After the accident, I spent about three years doing Dianetics on the event, which helped reduce panic, but did not help me to replicate the experience.

What finally made a breakthrough of sorts was a technique that appears in Crowley's "Liber NU," which involved expansion of spatial awareness. I had a vision of standing up, moving forward a few feet, and then falling backwards as if attached to a string of taffy. The weird lighting and other sensory peculiarities were nearly identical to those experienced during the wreck, and the experience lasted only a few seconds. Once again, I felt as though it was proof of concept, but I have not been able to reproduce the effect despite some effort. I have not made any serious attempt in the last ten years or so.

The reality of the experience and its implications discourage me from dumping all versions of this subject into one bucket. My experience was parallel to "real life" but with slight differences. I'm very interested in that, and not so much in the kind of other world visions that share a name with this subject.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#5 Spida

Messenger

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

I had a very unique OBE when I was around twenty five years old. Occurring during a hypnagogic sleep state. The precursor was a low pitched tone as I remember, as if I suddenly became aware of this transition that was taking place. My Consciousness was firmly seated at this point but became dislodged as the tone rose in pitch. I could see things swirling about me. It was as if my Consciousness was the Nucleus of an Atom, and Electrons were spinning about me. As my Consciousness began to rise out of my Body the tone grew higher in pitch as if there was a correlation between pitch and elevation, approaching a crescendo.

Near the end my Consciousness had risen to a distance of several feet(near the ceiling), and all that was whizzing about me had begun to slow and dissipate as the last particle passed right before me and then disappeared, and all was quiet. I had full recollection of what had transpired and it was all I could think about the following day.

I'm not certain if I have inadvertently attached a fabricated memory to this phenomenon, but as I remember the conclusion was a Lucid Dream/Astral Travel type scenario of relatively short duration(recollection at this point is a bit precarious though).

I did try to reproduce that particular sequence of events several times but was unsuccessful, although I have had a few other OBEs that were inline with my Astral Body mimicking my Physical Body.

All OBEs were spontaneous.

Edited by Spida, 27 January 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#6 Solanaceae

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

I never liked the term 'astral projection' for the reasons R.E.L mentions.
I like the sound of out of body projection, even now I will often use 'out of body experience' in place of 'astral projection''
even though most would claim it is not the same thing.

My experiences are usually spontaneous, similar to what Spida mentions above.
It has occurred occasionally since I was pre-teen at least.
I can get into the 'state' fairly easily during a deep trancelike meditation, but the full separation very rarely occurs from wakefulness.

Edited by Solanaceae, 28 January 2018 - 11:16 PM.

#7 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:28 AM

I have an intentional OBE astral experience every time I put my head to the pillow and go to sleep. Intentional Out of Body Projection is vaguer because it doesn't say what the body is.

#8 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:32 AM

I had an experience very similar to Imperial Arts. I was attempting to accomplish an OBE projection and sensed myself on the other side of the room. I could "feel"/sense my surroundings, and when I tried to move, a cycle of being in my body, and on the other side of the room ensued. I ended up falling asleep.

Edited by Eeveereest, 28 January 2018 - 02:34 AM.

#9 Spida

Messenger

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

View PostSolanaceae, on 27 January 2018 - 11:56 PM, said:

I never liked the term 'astral projection' for the reasons R.E.L mentions.
I like the sound of out of body projection, even now I will often use 'out of body experience' in place of 'astral projection''
even though most would claim it is not the same thing.

I had wondered in the past if there was some sort of a distinction that was being made between the two different terminologies. At present I would say it is the same phenomenon with a description dependent upon the background/education of the Speaker. Although there is a distinction between a spontaneous OBE that does not develop any further, and one where consciousness is actually projected to a location, i.e. an Astral/Out Of Body Projection requiring intent and an additional step.

#10 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

I think that OBEs are a protective mechanism for the person so that they don't experience the harm inflicted on the physical body. It can also be a sign of sickness.

I have had one prompted by an extreme lack of sleep. I think I didn't sleep one night, then the next night I slept like a couple of hours or less, then the next day I did the same...I don't remember how much sleep I lost but I eventually decided to sleep and I was in the middle of dream where I was pushed while hanging from a rope and I was swinging to a fro in this room gaining momentum until I pushed through the wall and I went through a bright light then all of a sudden I was no longer dreaming and I was where I was laying on my couch and I saw above me the ceiling was open with a night sky. I felt myself separating like a very strong magnetic pull to go upwards but I consciously pushed myself in my body again because I was worried if I left I couldn't come back. Then I opened my eyes. I don't recommend doing this with a lack of sleep...Any lack of sleep is not positive because the more it's done it can be difficult going back to sleep another night.

#11 violetstar

Venerable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

The distinction between the two terms has little to do with education or culture based views outside of folklore and myth.

Astral projection is a paranormal interpretation of out-of-body experiences that assumes the existence of one or more non-physical planes of existence and an associated body beyond the physical. Commonly such planes are called astral, etheric, or spiritual. Astral projection is often experienced as the spirit or astral body leaving the physical body to travel in the spirit world or astral plane.

An OBE is the experience in which an individual perceives the surrounding environment from a different perspective, from a position outside of his or her own body.The medical term used by Neurologists to describe the process is Autoscopy which comes from the ancient Greek αὐτός ("self") and σκοπός ("watcher").

All the accounts in this thread so far are of OBE's not astral projections.This phenomena can be induced in many ways and is very common.For example a friend of mine is a hospital anaesthetist and he hears regular accounts from his patients during recovery of both OBE and 'astral' journeys.That's just one method of induction occurring 'spontaneously'.

I will be interested to hear REL's new induction method and specifically in his attempts to resolve the distinction which he believes is dictated by cultural or pre-existent belief.More so how his method if successful,has any practical magical potential and how we may utilise this to further our spiritual development or to facilitate tangible results within the tactile sensory experience.
Further,how is this method seen for example to have benefits over other methods such as the use of entheogens used for magical purposes.

#12 Spida

Messenger

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

View Postvioletstar, on 28 January 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

The distinction between the two terms has little to do with education or culture based views outside of folklore and myth.

Although there are legitimate distinctions. I was merely stating that given similar phenomena, an individuals conveyance of it will vary based on their understanding.

#13 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Astral projection is an out of body experience. And there is a difference between an etheric and astral projection, the qualities of which differ quite a lot when experienced.

#14 violetstar

Venerable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostAurum, on 28 January 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

Astral projection is an out of body experience. And there is a difference between an etheric and astral projection, the qualities of which differ quite a lot when experienced.
No its not for the reasons I have outlined.

#15 violetstar

Venerable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostSpida, on 28 January 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Although there are legitimate distinctions. I was merely stating that given similar phenomena, an individuals conveyance of it will vary based on their understanding.
I was not criticising but helping to show how the two are different.

#16 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostAurum, on 28 January 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

What difference?

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#17 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

The astral body leaves the physical body...So it is quite literally an out-of-body experience.

#18 violetstar

Venerable Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

The astral body visits other realms.An OBE is simply taking place in the mundane environment as stated.

#19 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Violet you know I will be having interest here so I am waiting to judge if there have been the entry into otherworld to compare from real life experience.Also from many who entered their account are very much same so we can think some part of this entry will be same for everyone and we can see from what people say if they have really done this or maybe never left the room but think they were flying.

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#20 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

The astral body even if going to other realms must leave the body so it is an out of body experience. The astral body is responsible for the senses. The body is like a glove and the astral fits in it and if one's astral body is in not in one's hand they lose sensation in it. The consciousness picks up what it needs to see and focus on. The vehicle is the astral body. If one goes out to see a mundane perspective but maintains their senses then they're doing so with their astral body. There are all kinds of qualities of astral experiences, some higher and some lower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users