Art & Magick

8 replies to this topic

#1 Brennan

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

So I've picked up my artpad again, picked me up some micron pens and have been drawing again and I started thinking of magick again, because that's just what I do sometimes, but on this one I'm a bit stumped. I can think of using art for things like.. tarot-esque symbol image maps, servitor portraits, and meditation techniques, but what else can art be used for in a magical way?

Some more specific questions I have about it are, hmm..
  • how can art be used as a spell?
  • how about a ritual?
  • In what ways can art be used as a form of a divination, without going automatic?
..and anything else y'can think of.

#2 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

Most magic involves some degree of craftsmanship.

Do you mean specifically 2D media?

#3 SuccubusSherry

Enthusiastic Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Chaos magicians do a great deal of sigil art, painting a sigil as if it is intended for an art gallery. Also some hypersigils are not a story but a painting or a piece of music- although some would only use the term hypersigil for a series of paintings.
See my blog for micro-fiction, poems, a few weird articles and links to my books: https://candyrayblog.wordpress.com

#4 The Stalking Hyena

Labore et Constantia

• Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostBrennan, on 12 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

how can art be used as a spell?

Make an image of that which you desire and incorporate various correspondences into it, also using incantations (or mantras) of some kind to charge it. The correspondences don't have to fit any specific tradition so much as signify intention.

how about a ritual?

The entire ritual space, the tools &etc are both forms of art and tools of art. The ritual itself is art, as in a performing art. So everything that goes into the ritual act draws on the creative sphere, and it is this creative energy which acts upon reality.

In what ways can art be used as a form of a divination, without going automatic?

One method I like to use is to take a symbol, draw it out and incorporate any images that arise in my mind. This is a case where contemplation blends into divination, because various types of useful information/ideas might arise in the process of creation. In the artistic process, refining and correcting also act as a sort of subtle activity as the spirits often recommend changes that may go against my enthusiasm, but are essentially correct.

..and anything else y'can think of.

If I had the time, I would write volumes on the subject, and there is a big history here. It seems like a small door to some folks, but it leads into a massive palace that doubles as a Tardis.
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

#5 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,705 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

Not quite going to automaticity, but...

For divination, picture a scene that captures the nature of the question, do a light sketch in pencil, set up a pallete with a minimum number of colors and a small selection of brushes, then apply color to it in the dark. I'm thinking after the sketch and set up. maybe have a single candle burning behind the canvas so that no direct light shines on the pallette nor the canvas.

Examine the result after some time, say, 24-48 hours.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#6 Brennan

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

View PostThe Stalking Hyena, on 13 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

If I had the time, I would write volumes on the subject, and there is a big history here. It seems like a small door to some folks, but it leads into a massive palace that doubles as a Tardis.

I'd read them.

View PostR. Eugene Laughlin, on 13 January 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Not quite going to automaticity, but...

For divination, picture a scene that captures the nature of the question, do a light sketch in pencil, set up a pallete with a minimum number of colors and a small selection of brushes, then apply color to it in the dark. I'm thinking after the sketch and set up. maybe have a single candle burning behind the canvas so that no direct light shines on the pallette nor the canvas.

Examine the result after some time, say, 24-48 hours.

That sounds like a very interesting experiment. :D

#7 Brennan

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

So I tried replying to these the other night, but couldn't figure out how to get the multiquote button to work. Today I tried again, but was ultimately defeated hence the out of sequence double post.

View Postwren, on 13 January 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

Do you mean specifically 2D media?

Yeah, primarily, I have some talent but not much familiarity, but not exclusively. Except sewing. I'm not the right kind of patient for sewing, but what do you have in mind?

View PostSuccubusSherry, on 13 January 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Chaos magicians do a great deal of sigil art, painting a sigil as if it is intended for an art gallery. Also some hypersigils are not a story but a painting or a piece of music- although some would only use the term hypersigil for a series of paintings.

Sigils can be really beautiful things, for sure.. they're not necessarily the style of art I'm aiming for. I definitely appreciate abstraction tho.

#8 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostBrennan, on 15 January 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yeah, primarily, I have some talent but not much familiarity, but not exclusively. Except sewing. I'm not the right kind of patient for sewing, but what do you have in mind?

View PostThe Stalking Hyena, on 13 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

The entire ritual space, the tools &etc are both forms of art and tools of art.

#9 The Stalking Hyena

Labore et Constantia

• Old Timers
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostBrennan, on 15 January 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

I'd read them.

I appreciate the thought, but you will be very old and I will likely be dead if such things were published.
In the meantime, maybe this will interest you:

http://occultcorpus....contemplations/
Ars est celare artem.

Deviant Art gallery:
http://stalkinghyena...rt.com/gallery/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users