ritual psychology cognitive behaviour

22 replies to this topic

#21 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

Having people around that you know well enough to be bothered by isn't needed to have an extraneous thoughts during ritual. All that's needed for that is a spare moment. That's where the value of an all-consuming ritual structure comes from.

View PostSheperdess, on 17 January 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

With these natural forces are you calling their spirits of Elements and those living in the flora like sometime ritual gathering of herbs?Also do you feel these names given in books to spirits you will adhere to or will you find their name given over by your procedures?

I don't know if calling spirits is a good label for what I do in wild places. It's the subject for other threads, but very briefly, I have a generally Pantheistic attitude: everything is sacred. In practical terms, I think of Spirit as a unitary thing, that which animates, rather spirits as a collection of individuals of alternative species. And I have a generally animistic attitude: everything is alive, aware, and responsive, because of Spirit.

I do collect things from nature sometimes, but not always.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 17 January 2018 - 11:51 PM.

Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#22 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

I think they say the Celt were thinking like this so they were seeing spirits in trees river and also stones.Now we see this called pagan idea but for these Celt it was not having a label only how it was as normal plus without modern distraction they were being more aware of the nature spirit.So they maybe saw in their normal view things we can now be seeing only if we do ritual.

I am not realising how this psychology was working in their ancient mind maybe it was part of the normal world then but because we cannot see these spirit in place today we are thinking it must be explain by psychology in our mind.

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#23 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostSheperdess, on 18 January 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think they say the Celt were thinking like this so they were seeing spirits in trees river and also stones.Now we see this called pagan idea but for these Celt it was not having a label only how it was as normal plus without modern distraction they were being more aware of the nature spirit.So they maybe saw in their normal view things we can now be seeing only if we do ritual.

I don't think perceptual acuity for evidence of spirit has changed in any significant way for 100,000 years+. I also don't think ritual is necessary at all for perceiving evidence of spirit. It's everywhere, all the time. What has changed over the last 100,000 years is exposure to many different ideas about things. For most of human history, people were exposed to the ideas passed down the generations of their own people and that was it. With but few exceptions, the vast majority of people lived their lives completely unaware that there were other ways to think about things. Long distance trade is how knowledge of other peoples and their different ideas spread. That probably goes back at least 25,000 years, but still for most of that time, people maintained the ideas they inherited from their own people.

When people are exposed to alternative and somewhat incompatible ideas as part of their way of life, they inevitably form a preference. That defines the Modern Era, and one of the modern alternatives is to ignore the evidence of spirit. Here's why: people today understand that people of different and incompatible ideas can all live a satisfying life. That's a compelling argument in support of the notion that evidence of spirit is irrelevant. That leaves the choice to develop a lifestyle that attends to the evidence of spirit a matter of individual proclivity. People who like it do it, and people who don't have no compelling reason to bother.

View PostSheperdess, on 18 January 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I am not realising how this psychology was working in their ancient mind maybe it was part of the normal world then but because we cannot see thee spirit in place today we are thinking it must be explain by psychology in our mind.

Ancient and modern minds aren't very different. The input the minds are exposed to is what has changed. Given the same input we have today in ancient times, spirit-based lifestyles would be a choice and a matter of personal proclivity, like it is now and for the same reason described above. That's a psychologists' perspective.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users