- - - - -

I Don't Know Where To Begin

8 replies to this topic

#1 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

I am extremely new to the occult. I have no idea where to begin, and I have no clue what each branch does. Would someone mind helping me by describing what each branch does, and the best one for a total beginner to start with?

#2 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,690 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Hi Eeveereest,

That's a lot to ask of people you don't know. There are helpful people here, but please give us a little more to go on.

You're new. That's cool. Why don't you start by explaining your interests and related hopes in delving into the topic. Also, you must have done at least some background reading. What have you read?
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#3 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

I want to have extra daily energy, a personal space where only I can get to and think, knowledge, proficiency in a few magical fields, and maybe healing myself. The only reading I have done is a few Google searches and Wikipedia. I don't have much time to do what I want to do right now.

#4 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:09 AM

The Sorcerer's Secrets by Jason Miller is a good general introduction to practical magic, from basic breathing exercises and meditation to strategies in divination and spell casting. Initiation Into Hermetics is also a good training manual, but Bardon is more focused on your personal development and spiritual aspirations than how to apply those skills through sorcery and spellcraft.

For developing a "personal space," you might want to check out A Short Course on Scrying by Benjamin Rowe, as well as the book Magical Imagination by Nick Ferrell which discusses the same subject at much greater length and in greater depth.

While trying to figure out what you want to do, it's also good to just sit down for a while and think about short term and long term plans. At this moment, standing at the starting line of your Personal Path, where do you want to be in five years? In ten years? Do you think you can even maintain the discipline to practice for even half an hour every day for that amount of time? Once you know where you want to go, think about how you're going to get there. How the work you do today will add up to a new stage in six months, how the work you'll be doing in six months will add up to a new stage next year. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and progresses one step at a time. Know your destination, step forth, and see where The Path takes you.

~:Shin:~
"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

#5 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

For the short course on scrying, does the magickal space replace astral projection?

#6 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostEeveereest, on 12 January 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

For the short course on scrying, does the magickal space replace astral projection?

There are those who would say yes, but in my own experience, the answer is no. What Rowe calls the Sacred Space is something decidedly internal, something constructed within the borders of your own psyche with the chisel of your imagination. It is in my experience exactly like Lucid Dreaming without having to go to sleep first. This is why it is such a good tool for deep meditation and deep inner work, though - you get to literally walk around your own mind and come face to face with the various faces of your unconscious. Projection (and there's more than one kind), by contrast, is something decidedly external - hence, the term project. Projection takes you out of your own mind, where you can go forth and bring back information that you otherwise would have had no way of acquiring.

However, the Sacred Space, like Lucid Dreaming, can be used as a platform for projection. Both Rowe and Ferrell show towards the end of their course how to use the same techniques you develop while building the Sacred Space to mentally journey outside of yourself. If you get the hang of the basic technique, you can use this to take yourself almost anywhere - whether you're going inside Tarot cards to meet the spirits of the Oracle like Rowe teaches at the end of his essay, journeying to the Elemental Kingdoms through the Tattva Cards like Golden Dawn practiced, or entering other people's dreams while they sleep. All just different applications of the same skill.

~:Shin:~
"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

#7 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

Where can I request an ebook?

#8 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

Nowhere because it is against the ToS.

Edited by wren, 14 January 2018 - 05:10 AM.

#9 Eeveereest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Can tulpas help with Magickal stuff?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users