- - - - -

An Untraditional G.d. Dagger - And Hello After 7 Years Away!

dagger golden banishing invoking dawn LBRP pentagram hexagram

8 replies to this topic

#1 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hello dear friends,

I hope you are all doing well! After 7 years since I joyfully served as Ceremonial Magic Moderator here at our beloved Occult Corpus, I've finally found my way back home to OC. It feels good to be back and see these insightful posts from all of you again!

During my time away, I was studying the Eastern traditions and was initiated into Zen through Myokyo Zenji, into Advaita Vedanta through Swami Omkarananda and into Kashmir Shaivism through shaktipat diksha from Swami Swarupananda Mahamandaleshwar Maharaj. I was also continuing my studies in therapy and social work and working with survivors of the Holocaust and older adults in palliative care; social work is, for me, my focus of Rosicrucian healing work and service. Finally, after doing some extensive Jungian 'active imagination' work, I've returned to the Western Mystery tradition to study and practice Qabalah, magic, astral alchemy, tarot, skrying, and pathworking once again.

Now, onto the topic of this thread: Have any of you created any unconventional or untraditional implements of your own in your ceremonial work?

If so and you would be willing to share them, I would love to see what you've created and hear about the rationale behind it.

To begin the conversation, here is a dagger I recently created for use in banishing and invoking Pentagram and Hexagram work in the G.D. tradition. As you may know, in the G.D., a dagger with a simple black handle is generally used for this purpose, unadorned with symbolism. This is what I used in the past. Recently, however, I felt inspired to push this teaching a little further. Chic Cicero is the only G.D. adept I know of who sometimes adds symbols to his banishing/invoking daggers; he uses the Eye of Horus because Horus is the Godform of the Hiereus in the Outer Order and the Banishing dagger is symbolically linked to the Hiereus Sword.

I accept that idea and integrated it as well, but I wished to go further by bringing in pentagrammatic elemental alchemical symbolism (for Pentagram work) and planetary hexagrammic symbolism (for Hexagram work) as well as some Enochian and Grimoiric aspects.

As you can see in the pictures, the front side of the dagger handle features the pentagram with the sigils of the alchemical elements, the hexagram with the sigils of the planets, the Eye of Horus, the word LVX, and my own version of John Dee's Enochian PELE Solomonic ring, with the PELE letters translated into Enochian instead of being written in English.

Posted Image

The back side of the dagger includes the first letters of my magical Motto written in Enochian script. The use of Enochian is untraditional, but the writing of one's motto on the dagger handle is fairly traditional. There are also ten dots in the Queen Scale, except Malkuth symbolized by brown since it is hard to cram four colours into a 1 mm dot, which symbolize the 10 Sephirot of the Tree of Life. What is very untraditional here, but works well for me, is the use of two sigils, one from the Black-Handled Knife of the Key of Solomon and one from the White-Handled Knife, symbolizing banishing and invoking powers respectively to balance these dual aspects of ritual work that I intend to use the dagger for.

Posted Image

The result is an elementally, planetarily, and Solomonically balanced ritual implement for general planetary and elemental banishing and invoking work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this untraditional approach and see examples of your own untraditional implements if any.

In LVX,
Adam - Frater S. C. F. V.

Edited by Adamantium, 06 January 2018 - 01:29 AM.

#2 Curious Cat

Eats Locusts

• Owner
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:16 AM

Welcome back, Adam! It really has been too long.

I love the dagger. I personally don't use knives, but I do make somewhat untraditional planetary talismans.

#3 Morrigan

(>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

• Administrator
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

Welcome back Adam!
Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#4 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

Thank you both, CC and Morrigan! It really has been too long. I hope you are both doing well!

Sincerely,
Adam

Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

Or take a look at Light in Extension, an online Magical Journal or Words From the Wind, an illustrated philosophical blog.

#5 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

When I was about 15 years old, I had the idea to make a Magic Hammer. I got a nice little 8-lbs. mini sledge hammer and decorated it with lightning bolts using a nail and a rock. I used the Magic Hammer for my other projects, like forging a dagger out of a large nail, beating copper pipes into talismans, etc. I still use it when I need something squashed in a hurry.

At some point I wanted to explore "chaos" magic as specific intentions with undefined targets. I went out to my place in the river bottoms, and designated the major trees and so forth as things in my life: home, school, other people and places. The idea was to grab the hammer, announce that it's time to smash something, and spin around until I could no longer be sure which item was which, then let the hammer fly. I call this the Caveman Collision Conjuration in "Secrets of Magic," where the hammer is replaced by a large rock.

The hammer hit the tree defined as "school," and made a little dent. Upon returning to school, the front door had been smashed by a car, which was in the lobby. No one was injured. I guess I'm glad it landed where it did, rather than at "home" or somewhere less resilient to being smashed.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#6 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Haha I love the Caveman Collision Conjuration. I suppose you learned than never to underestimate the power of Fates-directed smashing!

I also love the intuitive Magic Hammer idea. In my teenage years, I was also into making my own intuitive tools. I used rope, branches, and stones I shaped into points using neolithic methods to make quasi-wands and daggers.

I used one such dagger to carve my first set of runes out of tree bark. I then stained the runes red using the juice of poisoned berries from the same tree from which I had taken the bark. I suppose I was a kind of folk-witchcraft practitioner before I found my way into ceremonial magic. I sure had fun climbing trees to harvest bark and berries. I made two such sets of runes, but haven't the slightest idea what happened to either of them.

I always wanted to integrate the runes into the Golden Dawn system as both a divination system and an added embellishment to the Tree of Life system and also integrate runework as a focus into the gradework for a G.D. grade.

Zelator would be the most logical placement, I would think, but its curriculum is already weighted down--pun decidedly intended--by the geomancy system. Perhaps it might work in Theoricus or Practicus? What do you think?
Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

Or take a look at Light in Extension, an online Magical Journal or Words From the Wind, an illustrated philosophical blog.

#7 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 276 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Tradition is the keeping of the flame, not the worship of the ashes.

Pretty much none of my tools are "traditional" in any school of thought I've seen. They were made to fit my own needs and according to my own interests, and are thus entirely unique to my own personal work. However, I have yet to find a single traditional application for which they could not be used effectively, and I feel that is a bit more important than doing things exactly as a bunch of dead people did it generations ago.

Innovative traditions must by nature be flexible, and inflexible traditions tend to stagnate. ;)

~:Shin:~
"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

#8 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostShinichi, on 10 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Tradition is the keeping of the flame, not the worship of the ashes.

Pretty much none of my tools are "traditional" in any school of thought I've seen. They were made to fit my own needs and according to my own interests, and are thus entirely unique to my own personal work. However, I have yet to find a single traditional application for which they could not be used effectively, and I feel that is a bit more important than doing things exactly as a bunch of dead people did it generations ago.

Innovative traditions must by nature be flexible, and inflexible traditions tend to stagnate. ;)

If you have some photo or more detail from these tool I would like to see.Sometime in this I am thinking like you.

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#9 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 276 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

I do not like to share pictures of things I am still using, for various reasons. Apologies for having to disappoint. :)

As a descriptive example, though: one of my more interesting and more potent wand projects was born of a copper pipe, filled with certain material to help it do its work, and capped off on both ends using basic plumbing stuff. Almost all the pieces were acquired at a hardware store and it is most definitely non-traditional. Even where certain metal wands or blasting rods are used, they are usually solid metal and more often than not magnetically charged. I have yet to meet anyone else who has a wand made of pipe, perhaps because most magicians don't even think of trying such materials, but it turned out to be one of my more interesting successes. One of the cheapest, too.

Edited by Shinichi, 12 January 2018 - 08:41 PM.

"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users