- - - - -

An Untraditional G.d. Dagger - And Hello After 7 Years Away!

dagger golden banishing invoking dawn LBRP pentagram hexagram

28 replies to this topic

#1 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hello dear friends,

I hope you are all doing well! After 7 years since I joyfully served as Ceremonial Magic Moderator here at our beloved Occult Corpus, I've finally found my way back home to OC. It feels good to be back and see these insightful posts from all of you again!

During my time away, I was studying the Eastern traditions and was initiated into Zen through Myokyo Zenji, into Advaita Vedanta through Swami Omkarananda and into Kashmir Shaivism through shaktipat diksha from Swami Swarupananda Mahamandaleshwar Maharaj. I was also continuing my studies in therapy and social work and working with survivors of the Holocaust and older adults in palliative care; social work is, for me, my focus of Rosicrucian healing work and service. Finally, after doing some extensive Jungian 'active imagination' work, I've returned to the Western Mystery tradition to study and practice Qabalah, magic, astral alchemy, tarot, skrying, and pathworking once again.

Now, onto the topic of this thread: Have any of you created any unconventional or untraditional implements of your own in your ceremonial work?

If so and you would be willing to share them, I would love to see what you've created and hear about the rationale behind it.

To begin the conversation, here is a dagger I recently created for use in banishing and invoking Pentagram and Hexagram work in the G.D. tradition. As you may know, in the G.D., a dagger with a simple black handle is generally used for this purpose, unadorned with symbolism. This is what I used in the past. Recently, however, I felt inspired to push this teaching a little further. Chic Cicero is the only G.D. adept I know of who sometimes adds symbols to his banishing/invoking daggers; he uses the Eye of Horus because Horus is the Godform of the Hiereus in the Outer Order and the Banishing dagger is symbolically linked to the Hiereus Sword.

I accept that idea and integrated it as well, but I wished to go further by bringing in pentagrammatic elemental alchemical symbolism (for Pentagram work) and planetary hexagrammic symbolism (for Hexagram work) as well as some Enochian and Grimoiric aspects.

As you can see in the pictures, the front side of the dagger handle features the pentagram with the sigils of the alchemical elements, the hexagram with the sigils of the planets, the Eye of Horus, the word LVX, and my own version of John Dee's Enochian PELE Solomonic ring, with the PELE letters translated into Enochian instead of being written in English.

Posted Image

The back side of the dagger includes the first letters of my magical Motto written in Enochian script. The use of Enochian is untraditional, but the writing of one's motto on the dagger handle is fairly traditional. There are also ten dots in the Queen Scale, except Malkuth symbolized by brown since it is hard to cram four colours into a 1 mm dot, which symbolize the 10 Sephirot of the Tree of Life. What is very untraditional here, but works well for me, is the use of two sigils, one from the Black-Handled Knife of the Key of Solomon and one from the White-Handled Knife, symbolizing banishing and invoking powers respectively to balance these dual aspects of ritual work that I intend to use the dagger for.

Posted Image

The result is an elementally, planetarily, and Solomonically balanced ritual implement for general planetary and elemental banishing and invoking work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this untraditional approach and see examples of your own untraditional implements if any.

In LVX,
Adam - Frater S. C. F. V.

Edited by Adamantium, 06 January 2018 - 01:29 AM.

#2 Curious Cat

Dances With The Dead

• Owner
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:16 AM

Welcome back, Adam! It really has been too long.

I love the dagger. I personally don't use knives, but I do make somewhat untraditional planetary talismans.

#3 Morrigan

(>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

• Administrator
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

Welcome back Adam!
Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#4 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

Thank you both, CC and Morrigan! It really has been too long. I hope you are both doing well!

Sincerely,
Adam

Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

Light in Extension, an online Magical Journal

#5 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

When I was about 15 years old, I had the idea to make a Magic Hammer. I got a nice little 8-lbs. mini sledge hammer and decorated it with lightning bolts using a nail and a rock. I used the Magic Hammer for my other projects, like forging a dagger out of a large nail, beating copper pipes into talismans, etc. I still use it when I need something squashed in a hurry.

At some point I wanted to explore "chaos" magic as specific intentions with undefined targets. I went out to my place in the river bottoms, and designated the major trees and so forth as things in my life: home, school, other people and places. The idea was to grab the hammer, announce that it's time to smash something, and spin around until I could no longer be sure which item was which, then let the hammer fly. I call this the Caveman Collision Conjuration in "Secrets of Magic," where the hammer is replaced by a large rock.

The hammer hit the tree defined as "school," and made a little dent. Upon returning to school, the front door had been smashed by a car, which was in the lobby. No one was injured. I guess I'm glad it landed where it did, rather than at "home" or somewhere less resilient to being smashed.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#6 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Haha I love the Caveman Collision Conjuration. I suppose you learned than never to underestimate the power of Fates-directed smashing!

I also love the intuitive Magic Hammer idea. In my teenage years, I was also into making my own intuitive tools. I used rope, branches, and stones I shaped into points using neolithic methods to make quasi-wands and daggers.

I used one such dagger to carve my first set of runes out of tree bark. I then stained the runes red using the juice of poisoned berries from the same tree from which I had taken the bark. I suppose I was a kind of folk-witchcraft practitioner before I found my way into ceremonial magic. I sure had fun climbing trees to harvest bark and berries. I made two such sets of runes, but haven't the slightest idea what happened to either of them.

I always wanted to integrate the runes into the Golden Dawn system as both a divination system and an added embellishment to the Tree of Life system and also integrate runework as a focus into the gradework for a G.D. grade.

Zelator would be the most logical placement, I would think, but its curriculum is already weighted down--pun decidedly intended--by the geomancy system. Perhaps it might work in Theoricus or Practicus? What do you think?
Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

#7 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Tradition is the keeping of the flame, not the worship of the ashes.

Pretty much none of my tools are "traditional" in any school of thought I've seen. They were made to fit my own needs and according to my own interests, and are thus entirely unique to my own personal work. However, I have yet to find a single traditional application for which they could not be used effectively, and I feel that is a bit more important than doing things exactly as a bunch of dead people did it generations ago.

Innovative traditions must by nature be flexible, and inflexible traditions tend to stagnate. ;)

~:Shin:~
"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

#8 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostShinichi, on 10 January 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Tradition is the keeping of the flame, not the worship of the ashes.

Pretty much none of my tools are "traditional" in any school of thought I've seen. They were made to fit my own needs and according to my own interests, and are thus entirely unique to my own personal work. However, I have yet to find a single traditional application for which they could not be used effectively, and I feel that is a bit more important than doing things exactly as a bunch of dead people did it generations ago.

Innovative traditions must by nature be flexible, and inflexible traditions tend to stagnate. ;)

If you have some photo or more detail from these tool I would like to see.Sometime in this I am thinking like you.

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#9 Shinichi

• Old Timers
  • 291 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

I do not like to share pictures of things I am still using, for various reasons. Apologies for having to disappoint. :)

As a descriptive example, though: one of my more interesting and more potent wand projects was born of a copper pipe, filled with certain material to help it do its work, and capped off on both ends using basic plumbing stuff. Almost all the pieces were acquired at a hardware store and it is most definitely non-traditional. Even where certain metal wands or blasting rods are used, they are usually solid metal and more often than not magnetically charged. I have yet to meet anyone else who has a wand made of pipe, perhaps because most magicians don't even think of trying such materials, but it turned out to be one of my more interesting successes. One of the cheapest, too.

Edited by Shinichi, 12 January 2018 - 08:41 PM.

"There is no such thing as Impossible. It's merely a matter of understanding the mechanisms by which the Will may be made manifest into an objective reality." -- The Wise

#10 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

I like the copper pipe idea, Shin. Very creative!

Funny enough, while going through some boxrs, I came across one of the Neolithic-inspired tools I made as a child. I still quite like it all these years later:

Edited by Adamantium, 25 January 2018 - 12:20 AM.

Frater S.C.F.V.

#11 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostShinichi, on 12 January 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

I do not like to share pictures of things I am still using, for various reasons. Apologies for having to disappoint. :)

As a descriptive example, though: one of my more interesting and more potent wand projects was born of a copper pipe, filled with certain material to help it do its work, and capped off on both ends using basic plumbing stuff. Almost all the pieces were acquired at a hardware store and it is most definitely non-traditional. Even where certain metal wands or blasting rods are used, they are usually solid metal and more often than not magnetically charged. I have yet to meet anyone else who has a wand made of pipe, perhaps because most magicians don't even think of trying such materials, but it turned out to be one of my more interesting successes. One of the cheapest, too.

Wands of Horus?(small pic)The 'Thebes' Wand(slightly later)was made from copper alloy bronze in the form of a Cobra and was found alongside other implements and magical texts c.2200BCE.

There is current thought among scholars that Yahweh was a Kenite god connected to copper smelting before his association with Israel.It also seems likely many of the Biblical accounts of serpents referred to processes of copper smelting.Zech.6:1-6 Ezek.40:3 and 22:20 strongly suggest the link.

1 Kings tells how Hiram Abif the 'Widows Son' cast the furnishings of bronze in Solomons temple in an area of Canaan known for its ancient smelting. The Hebrew word for snake and the Arabic word for copper come from the same root naHHAs while among the many references to smelting and it seems Moses' Staff was more likely made of copper as the word used matteh as in Isa.10:15 and Ezek.19:13 signifies a copper sceptre hung on a wooden staff.Thus when his Staff matteh was cast into the burning bush it melted and as it cooled,transformed into a serpent(nahash)

Again,the Hebrew word nahash is generally rendered as serpent but it is also means copper In the Book of Chronicles we learn how the town of Ir Nahash was founded by a clan of metalworkers.There are so many links with copper in the OT that further link Yahweh with Metallurgy the connection cannot easily be ignored.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by violetstar, 26 January 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#12 Spida

Eternal Return

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

The Serpent is so very important. There are a plethora of ways this Creature is integrated with Universal Mechanics and Energy. It continually keeps on Striking out at me in unexpected ways, always revealing.

Very Nice Post Violet. I would assimilate if I had the time :-)
Scribe of the Gods; Somebody get me a fuckin' Violin ! A Journey that has never begun, can never end !

#13 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Thank you.However this is in danger of going way off topic from the OP concerning GD daggers.As I do not wish to comment on that I will return the thread back to its original discussion.

#14 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Maybe you can tell us more of your snakes energy and how you are using it Spida.

Edited by Sheperdess, 28 January 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#15 Spida

Eternal Return

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

I can give a brief example since I don't want to ignore what Violet said; also I have written about this off and on in various other places.

My initial observation was in noticing that the Snakes of the Earth were a reflection of Transverse Energy Waves, which are Sine Waves, and also Light Waves. The reflection is evident in the manner in which they propagate. A Slithering Snake looks and moves about the earth in an identical fashion to a Light wave moving through Space.

So soon after I began associating the Serpent with Transverse Energy Waves. I noticed the Snake that was wrapped around the Sun adorned on the Head of Ra. This added weight to my initial observation, and then I also noticed the Egyptian Relief Carvings that showed many Serpents as if in a horizontal row that were shown coming off the Sun and moving away from it. So there is definitely something there, although I have no thoughts on how to use this information. Its just an observation at this point, and may never be anything more than academic.

Its a pretty exotic analysis, but since you asked :-)
Scribe of the Gods; Somebody get me a fuckin' Violin ! A Journey that has never begun, can never end !

#16 Spida

Eternal Return

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

View PostSheperdess, on 28 January 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Maybe you can tell us more of your snakes energy and how you are using it Spida.

Okay, you got me on that one. Very funny :-)

#17 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostSpida, on 28 January 2018 - 07:22 PM, said:

Okay, you got me on that one. Very funny :-)
Ok yes but I think it was good how you see "A Slithering Snake looks and moves about the earth in an identical fashion to a Light wave moving through Space." so it is a mix of science plus mystical.It will not matter if this is only observing for it is help to understand the links of how you say microcosm with macrocosm.Sometime also we see similar image like your Egypt one in the Alchemy.Very good.

#18 Spida

Eternal Return

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

I apologize Violet :-) I will have the last word here.

Yes Sheperdess, sometimes Science will help to understand things of a Mystical nature, and the bit about the Snakes. I bet you will never hear that from anyone again for the rest of your life, but Ancient Egypt was hinting about it :-)

#19 violetstar

Destroying Angel

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostSpida, on 28 January 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

I can give a brief example since I don't want to ignore what Violet said; also I have written about this off and on in various other places.

My initial observation was in noticing that the Snakes of the Earth were a reflection of Transverse Energy Waves, which are Sine Waves, and also Light Waves. The reflection is evident in the manner in which they propagate. A Slithering Snake looks and moves about the earth in an identical fashion to a Light wave moving through Space.

So soon after I began associating the Serpent with Transverse Energy Waves. I noticed the Snake that was wrapped around the Sun adorned on the Head of Ra. This added weight to my initial observation, and then I also noticed the Egyptian Relief Carvings that showed many Serpents as if in a horizontal row that were shown coming off the Sun and moving away from it. So there is definitely something there, although I have no thoughts on how to use this information. Its just an observation at this point, and may never be anything more than academic.

Its a pretty exotic analysis, but since you asked :-)
The relief carvings you observed are consistent with smelting.The 'Sun' is the furnace,the 'Serpents' are the rows of cooled copper that was imported into Egypt under the patronage of Ptah the god of Craftsmanship.

Such Metallurgical gods were common throughout Mesopotamia and Yahweh was one of these before he became associated with Israel.

#20 Spida

Eternal Return

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

So I suppose more weight can be assigned to certain interpretations over others, but my analogies still remain valid :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users