* * * - - 2 votes

Fortifying The Diet With Iron

14 replies to this topic

#1 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

I was reading a lecture by Rudolf Steiner who said that every so often meteorites are hurled across the earth by the atmosphere infusing the blood of people with the influences of cosmic iron. This iron is necessary for willpower and emanates from mars. Interestingly, Michael is said to wear iron meteorite for his armor.

Basically, if someone is lacking in willpower, or feeling lethargic, they can eat iron-rich foods to help regain willpower. You can read it in the Compiled Lectures by Rudolf Steiner, but scroll to page 15:

https://books.google...epage&q&f=false

Here's a nice quote on meteors in our blood in 'Four Seasons Archangels: Lecure 1: the Michael Imagination' found in http://wn.rsarchive....231005p01.html:

And when in high summer, from a particular constellation, meteors fall in great showers of cosmic iron, then this cosmic iron, which carries an enormously powerful healing force, is the weapon which the gods bring to bear against Ahriman, as dragon-like he tries to coil round the shining forms of men. The force which falls on the earth in the meteoric iron is indeed a cosmic force whereby the higher gods endeavour to gain a victory over the Ahrimanic powers, when autumn comes on. And this majestic display in cosmic space, when the August meteor showers stream down into the human shining in the astral light, has its counterpart — so gentle and apparently so small — in a change that occurs in the human blood. This human blood, which is in truth not such a material thing as present-day science imagines, but is permeated throughout by impulses from soul and spirit, is rayed through by the force which is carried as iron into the blood and wages war there on anxiety, fear and hate. The processes which are set going in every blood-corpuscle when the force of iron shoots into it are the same, on a minute human scale, as those which take place when meteors fall in a shining stream through the air. This permeation of human blood by the anxiety-dispelling force of iron is a meteoric activity. The effect of the raying in of the iron is to drive fear and anxiety out of the blood.
And so, as the gods with their meteors wage war on the spirit who would like to radiate fear over all the earth through his coiling serpent-form, and while they cause iron to stream radiantly into this fear-tainted atmosphere, which reaches its peak when autumn approaches or when summer wanes — so the same process occurs inwardly in man, when his blood is permeated with iron. We can understand these things only if we understand their inner spiritual significance on the one hand, and if on the other we recognise how the sulphur-process and the iron-process in man are connected with corresponding events in the cosmos.

A man who looks out into space and sees a shooting-star should say to himself, with reverence for the gods: “That occurrence in the great expanse of space has its minute counterpart continuously in myself. There are the shooting-stars, while in every one of my blood-corpuscles iron is taking form: my life is full of shooting-stars, miniature shooting-stars.” And this inner fall of shooting-stars, pointing to the life of the blood, is especially important when autumn approaches, when the sulphur-process is at its peak. For when men are shining like glow-worms in the way I have described, then the counter-force is present also, for millions of tiny meteors are scintillating inwardly in their blood.

#2 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

It worked for Popeye.

#3 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:39 AM

Lol I'll just edit this and say that's a good analogy.

Edited by Aurum, 01 December 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#4 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

Unfortunately he is referring to the meteor showers like the Perseids. Those are actually ice and dust particles. Iron meteorites are much more rare than the remnants of comet tails, although they aren't that uncommon. Many meteorites are non-ferrous, although fewer of that sort reach the ground.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#5 violetstar

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

wren, on 01 December 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

It worked for Popeye.
I doubt that. The iron content of spinach was miscalculated by a German chemist when he misplaced a decimal point While there are just 3.5 milligrams of iron in a 100g serving of spinach, the accepted number became 35 milligrams thanks to his mistake

This caused the popular misconception that spinach is exceptionally high in iron, which makes the body stronger.Sorry Popeye you would probably have been better off on Baked Beans!

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com

#6 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

So, I don't think it's actually the iron unless you flat out are anaemic. Unless you are a woman with a heavy flow, you probably aren't anaemic and already get plenty of iron in your diet. That said, iron rich foods are good for you.

Animal flesh is a good source of protein as long as you are conscious of moderating the fats that go along with it. While the minimum recommended intake of protein is low enough that if you meet your caloric needs eating less refined foods you probably meet your protein goals, higher protein intake is better for you, especially when dieting. Higher protein levels, like those at the broscience 1 gram per pound of bodyweight per day does have greater muscle sparing effects than the 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight per day recommended minimum. Eating more protein while in caloric restriction helps mitigate loss of strength and lean body mass. In caloric surplus when paired with appropriate training stimulus, more protein contributes to a higher % of lean muscle gain compared to fat stored. At maintenance excess protein isn't as important, but they are filling and slow to digest, making for a good buffer food.

From the plant kingdom, we get a lot of iron out of beans, grains, nuts and leafy greens. Leafy greens are an excellent source of micronutrients and dietary fiber. Beans are great for fiber, protein, and complex carbs for more even blood glucose and providing energy appropriate for endurance type activity. Grains, especially whole grains, are often fortified with vitamins, are a source of dietary fiber, and can provide protein and complex carbs. They can also lack protein and be simple carb sources, so they demand some extra attention. Finally, nuts are a vegetarian source of healthy fats and some micronutrients.

You could form a well-balanced diet entirely out of iron rich foods.

Edited by wren, 01 December 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#7 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

Imperial Arts -- Steiner is referring to the cosmic iron influence, just as there are planetary influences.

Meteoric showers are typically described as having ice, debris and dust particles but I'm not sure why you have brought that up since they often contain iron. Almost all meteoroids contain iron. Incidentally, most large physical meteors that do fall on the Earth contain iron.

I am referring to the body of meteors which collide with the Earth's atmosphere, breaking off and dispersing in different directions.

This is a nice quote about a meteor shower in the 'The Guardian':

As our planet speeds through the comet’s train of dust, tiny particles the size of a grain of sand hit the Earth’s atmosphere at speeds of up to 132,000 mph, generating temperatures of thousands of degrees celsius.
“They are punching through the air at very high speed, so they compress the air in front of them,” said Marek Kukula, public astronomer at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.
“This is a lot of compression – it heats the air and that is what causes that bright streak,” he said. “The meteor itself, the solid object, will burn up and that can also give you colours as the materials fluoresce.”

#8 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

Meteors of the sort you see in meteor showers are very different from those that are recovered from the ground. A majority of those that do make an impact are nickel-iron type, but these are not the same material as the August showers referenced by Steiner. Those comet-spawned showers are much lighter material.

While I appreciate his enthusiasm, I think he is overestimating the presence of iron in meteors.

#9 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:18 AM

I had more in mind the influence of the iron, but not necessarily the large meteorites that can fall on the Earth. We used to have massive meteorites on display here until they were stolen and now we just have replicas of them.

Doesn't the Earth go through the 'train of dust'? I cannot find any material that says August meteoric showers contain no iron. If most meteoroids contain iron then I'd say that most meteoric showers that pass the Earth contain iron.

#10 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:47 AM

@wren - I used to blend leafy greens in like one of those Ninja blenders with juice...Way more convenient than laboriously eating a bowl of salad.

#11 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:33 AM

I like cooked greens. They wilt down to nothing in soups, sautees, braises, and stirfries.

#12 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostAurum, on 02 December 2017 - 01:18 AM, said:

Doesn't the Earth go through the 'train of dust'? I cannot find any material that says August meteoric showers contain no iron. If most meteoroids contain iron then I'd say that most meteoric showers that pass the Earth contain iron.

Comet Swift-Tuttle is responsible for the Perseid shower visible on the Thelemic "Feast for the First Night of the Prophet and His Bride." It is made of water ice and dust, all on the lighter side of the scale. These are debris blown off the surface of the comet during its times nearer to the sun.

Iron meteorites and iron-bearing space rocks are an entirely different story. Being dense, they come from the inner parts of the solar system rather than comets which form at the edges.

#13 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Maybe the fault is in my wording in my original post because Steiner refers to 'meteoric iron'. The rays of this (the influence or force) goes to the blood. This iron has a correlation with willpower. I don't believe that you are arguing the Perseid shower has no iron in its vapors, dust, meteors or meteoroids (sometimes the size of a grain). I do think the Perseid shower is definitely interesting the more I'm reading on it now.

Edited by Aurum, 02 December 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#14 Aurum

• Old Timers
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

View Postwren, on 02 December 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

I like cooked greens. They wilt down to nothing in soups, sautees, braises, and stirfries.

Another good one -- is putting chopped kale on a tray with paprika and onion salt (no oil) and put it in the oven till it's completely dried and crispy. It's very good!

#15 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

I've never tried kale chips. I heard the store bought stuff can be pretty awful. Might give it a try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users