• 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

lol done !

#42 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

May I join please if the starfoxer will be buying me big ice cream with many color plus if he has the Mustang car Violet like we may go on the topless cruise to talk of Golden Dawn and something Ha Ha!

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

#43 vives gladio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Ok, I have the gigantic Golden Dawn book by Israel Regardie. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on whether grabbing the Cicero Self Initiation book would be a good addition, or if it would be more or less redundant with regard to the information I already have access to?

Appreciate any thoughts.

#44 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

"Self Initiation into the Golden Dawn Tradition" is excellent. Anyone who thinks they know their Western Hermeticism can feel free to take any of the grade tests and see if they can get a passing score. It is comprehensive and detailed. I'm not saying it's true or correct, but it's detailed all the same.

Regardie's materials are the sparse hand-outs given to initiates. The Cicero's book fills in the gaps for those lectures. For example, Regadie spends about three sentences on the Samothracian Kabiri, but SIITGDT gives a whole sub-chapter on them. Trying to figure out Geomancy and unable to make sense of Liber Gaias? The Cicero's have worksheets for that, as well as formats for astrology and Tarot.

The drawback is that the rituals are beyond lame. You'll have to improvise, and just following along with a tape recorder as they suggest is probably not going to be terribly magical for you. So as a bibliographical assistant, it's a great book, but as a practical guide it has a few rough edges.

Edited by Imperial Arts, 29 November 2017 - 06:24 PM.

https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#45 vives gladio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:05 AM

Thank you very much, I think this convinced me to get a copy. I actually just finished their "Essential Golden Dawn" and found the writing style agreeable, so I think there's room on my shelf for more of their work. Getting more detail is highly desirable - I understand with some things you just have to feel it out to find what clicks, but my experience in other areas has shown me that there's a lot of room for false-positives and flawed assumptions to steer someone well into the weeds. I'm hoping to avoid that as much as possible so that when I undertake it, I am giving the material a fair chance. If someone cooks a meal poorly, it isn't really fair to blame the recipe if they didn't follow it in the first place. I want to reduce the possibility of a poor execution spoiling whatever it is that the process is intended to result in.

Understood on the rituals. I will try to maintain a certain suspension of disbelief and make an attempt at executing with the correct spirit. Truly appreciate the reply.

Edited by vives gladio, 30 November 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#46 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

View Postvives gladio, on 30 November 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

Thank you very much, I think this convinced me to get a copy. I actually just finished their "Essential Golden Dawn" and found the writing style agreeable, so I think there's room on my shelf for more of their work. Getting more detail is highly desirable - I understand with some things you just have to feel it out to find what clicks, but my experience in other areas has shown me that there's a lot of room for false-positives and flawed assumptions to steer someone well into the weeds. I'm hoping to avoid that as much as possible so that when I undertake it, I am giving the material a fair chance. If someone cooks a meal poorly, it isn't really fair to blame the recipe if they didn't follow it in the first place. I want to reduce the possibility of a poor execution spoiling whatever it is that the process is intended to result in.

Understood on the rituals. I will try to maintain a certain suspension of disbelief and make an attempt at executing with the correct spirit. Truly appreciate the reply.

Heads up, the rituals will have you visualising imaginary temple officers. Without a good visual imagination and memory, it can be technically difficult while also being uninspiring.

#47 vives gladio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:59 AM

That's fine. For the LBRP, if I'm going to do that one justice I'm supposedly visualizing something like 18 different things already and being an utter novice I'm sure I'm leaving things out that I don't even know about yet.

The initiation itself is a bridge I'll worry about crossing at a future point, really what I'm hoping for is to fill in the gaps that the ... shall I say terse description my current book is providing for me.

#48 Spida

Messenger

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

View Postmonsnoleedra, on 17 November 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

That one still hurts my head at times when I re-read it. To be honest not sure I have read it word for word though. Funny early on it was pushed more as a must read than even The Spiral Dance by Starhawk. Of course in my heck of the training woods the various books of the dead were pushed more than The Spiral Dance.

And I understand the Work may contain inaccuracies; I do like the talk of the Solar System though, and some of the Mysteries associated with it. It's also always good to arrive at certain conclusions via contemplation and to then have your ideas reiterated and reinforced independently by an Author. Infamous as they may be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users