Jump to content


- - - - -

Benefits Of The Gd?


47 replies to this topic

#21 monsnoleedra

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

View PostSpida, on 17 November 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Thanks Wren,

I do recognize Regardie as a major influence. I just haven't got to him yet. I am a little slow on the reading, it tends to take a back seat to everything else, and I am in the habit of looking up specific information as needed, lately.

Right now it's Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine. I print out interesting/relevant parts now and then to keep around the house for reading. Given the size of the work, and my pace it could be a while though, but it's very good.

That one still hurts my head at times when I re-read it. To be honest not sure I have read it word for word though. Funny early on it was pushed more as a must read than even The Spiral Dance by Starhawk. Of course in my heck of the training woods the various books of the dead were pushed more than The Spiral Dance.
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#22 Imperial Arts

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

If you are going to get into Blavatsky (or L.Ron Hubbard, Kenneth Grant, Eliphas Levi, or a wide swath of other occult authors) you would do well to also get yourself a book of basic mathematics: geometry and so on. These esoteric books are great for inspiration and expanding your perspective, but they aren't always keen on facts, so having a bit of "grounding" can help keep the Secret Doctrines from overloading your rational capacity and turning you into an internet fringe sadhu.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#23 wren

    Venerable Member

  • Moderators
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostSpida, on 17 November 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:



Thanks Wren,

I do recognize Regardie as a major influence. I just haven't got to him yet. I am a little slow on the reading, it tends to take a back seat to everything else, and I am in the habit of looking up specific information as needed, lately.

Right now it's Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine. I print out interesting/relevant parts now and then to keep around the house for reading. Given the size of the work, and my pace it could be a while though, but it's very good.

Just remember that Blavatsky's Tibetan masters aren't Tibetan.

#24 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

View PostImperial Arts, on 17 November 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

If you are going to get into Blavatsky (or L.Ron Hubbard, Kenneth Grant, Eliphas Levi, or a wide swath of other occult authors) you would do well to also get yourself a book of basic mathematics: geometry and so on. These esoteric books are great for inspiration and expanding your perspective, but they aren't always keen on facts, so having a bit of "grounding" can help keep the Secret Doctrines from overloading your rational capacity and turning you into an internet fringe sadhu.
The anti-Semitic,plagiarist derived incoherent babble and pseudo-history of Blavatskys Secret Doctrine aside,do you have a vision for future works on magic?
I think you said recently how you saw need for re-assessment of approaches to the majority of current magical systems and this is something that interests me.My own feeling is that modern attempts to adapt or improvise the originals have failed thus far.

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com


#25 Imperial Arts

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:08 PM

View Postvioletstar, on 17 November 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:


The anti-Semitic,plagiarist derived incoherent babble and pseudo-history of Blavatskys Secret Doctrine aside,do you have a vision for future works on magic?
I think you said recently how you saw need for re-assessment of approaches to the majority of current magical systems and this is something that interests me.My own feeling is that modern attempts to adapt or improvise the originals have failed thus far.

This deserves a better reply than I can produce between watch repairs here at work. I would venture to say that most of the people who know me well offline understand that the idea of a "new alchemy" is something of an obsession for me and finds its way into my regular work as well as occult studies. When I have a moment to give it a go it will probably appear in a new thread. In the meantime here are some thoughts on the issue:https://imperialarts.livejournal.com/
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#26 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

View PostImperial Arts, on 17 November 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

This deserves a better reply than I can produce between watch repairs here at work. I would venture to say that most of the people who know me well offline understand that the idea of a "new alchemy" is something of an obsession for me and finds its way into my regular work as well as occult studies. When I have a moment to give it a go it will probably appear in a new thread. In the meantime here are some thoughts on the issue:https://imperialarts.livejournal.com/
I can see that your current thoughts on this have been developing since last May in your journal.I love the realistic overviews there alongside the non-dictatorial,non-dogmatic approach.Whatever you term it the "new alchemy" is sorely needed and may be the starting point from which both beginners and the more experienced can re-assess the whole corpus of magical literature.

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com


#27 vives gladio

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

I am also quite interested in exploring this. I'd really like to start off on the right footing and thus far have been working from the 7th edition of Regardie's Golden Dawn book, slowly and really only working the Four Count Breathing and components of the LBRP, trying to do the rite justice. I'd love to find a solid reference to work through the details on a granular level. I am listening intently to Regardie's tapes for hints on the pronounciation and intonation but could stand to have specific guidance on the visualization and other myriad details to avoid making it a perfunctory exercise.

If anyone could recommend an individual or group to contact I would be quite grateful. In other pursuits I have found endless rewards from getting as close to a primary source as possible and approaching with an earnest and open enthusiasm and would like to see for myself what this really is.

#28 vives gladio

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostTb777, on 15 November 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

Hey all! So I'm curious what the benefits of joining the G.D. are over remaining a solitary practitioner? I ask because I've had a lot of success through self study but a friend of mine has been pitching the idea of joining the G.D. chapter he is a part of and its enticing because he seems to love it and it seems he is gaining from it. I was just curious if anyone could tell me from experience if it's really worth it or are the "secrets" just a sales pitch?

Thank you!

As an aspiring neophyte myself, I can't comment on the merits or detriments of joining a group, but I think something worth considering is your relationship with your friend. If you did try joining up and it wasn't for you, would it ruin a relationship?

Really, only you can decide if something is a good fit. If you're curious, the best way to find out is to try. There should be some kind of interviewing process, which like finding a new job should be a two-way street - it isn't just about being accepted by a group it also has to fit your desires. There's always a degree of compromise and a willingness to try to conform for the sake of harmony, but I think if you listen to your heart you'll know the difference between accommodation and compromising your own self value.

#29 Morrigan

    (>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

  • Administrator
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

Mod hat on.

Stop the personal attacks now. Stick to discussing ideas. Rather than lock the thread I've removed the inflammatory posts until they can be edited to stay on topic.


Mod hat off


Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#30 vives gladio

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:32 AM

Thank you, a very interesting read.

#31 starfox

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

does anyone have david griffin's book, ritual magick manual ? im tempted to get the ebook version just to have for my collection , though i would prefer the hardcover if the book wasnt being sold for hundreds. :(

#32 Imperial Arts

    Senior Member

  • Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

I have not read anything from him, but would also highly recommend Robert Wang (Qabalistic Tarot, The Secret Temple) as an author with a lot of useful information about the Golden Dawn system without being stuck in the Golden Dawn Order.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#33 Morrigan

    (>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

  • Administrator
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Folks please refrain from posting or sharing copyrighted material on the forum. While I'm not one to say no to a free PDF, it is against our rules and against the terms of our host.
Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#34 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com


#35 vives gladio

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Yikes, ok well in an effort to do the right thing...

https://www.goodread...the-golden-dawn had some interesting insight on the organization and some of the players, and a good bit of background information but not very much on the praxis. More of a "what it was" than "what they did", or so it seemed.

#36 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

There are these:


Posted Image Posted Image

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com


#37 starfox

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

View Poststarfox, on 22 November 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

does anyone have david griffin's book, ritual magick manual ? im tempted to get the ebook version just to have for my collection , though i would prefer the hardcover if the book wasnt being sold for hundreds. :(

welp i bought the e-book and i like it. like reviews ive read mentioned, a huge portion of it is repetitive but i like that its cookbook style. flip it open to find what i need. the practical magick section in the back is a few pages long and doesnt really provide anything useful that the prior chapters didnt already convey except for maybe the tables of correspondence for elementary, planetary, zodiacal, etc that shows concepts for practical desires for each option.
i guess i could be an asshole and print all 666 pages at work... wont though. my backpack is already filled with tons of papers with bent edges, buttermilk donut crumbs, erasers, receipts from coffee shops

#38 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

No comment.

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com


#39 starfox

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

View Postvioletstar, on 24 November 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

No comment.

lol , here let me buy you some donuts from my fav shop and a coffee :P

#40 violetstar

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

If you could possibly stretch it to a T-Bone with all the trimmings and send it on the astral id be grateful thanks :D

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users