- - - - -

Banishing Ritual Of Hexagram And Evocation Of Archangels

4 replies to this topic

#1 starfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:02 AM

I have begun practicing the banishing ritual of the hexagram, following kraig's book modern magick. the other night after the evocation of the archangels in the lbrp, it occurred to me that i might be banishing them during the brh. or am i incorrect? does the brh banish planetary influence only? or both planetary and elemental, in which case arent the 4 evoked archangels in the lbrp associated with the elements and therefore banished as well? i dont like the idea of evoking them and then banishing them soon after. just seems rude.
i would very much appreciate and clarity on this. thank you for the time

#2 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Just my interpretation: The angels are like dimmer switches for those influences which are always around you. The planets and elements represent your connection to the underlying behavioral codes for people and matter, which are well beyond our knowledge but not necessarily the angels. They mediate. The ritual neither summons nor banishes the angels, it calls on them to assist you in turning those influences "up" or "down" at need.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#3 violetstar

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

starfox, on 12 November 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

I have begun practicing the banishing ritual of the hexagram, following kraig's book modern magick. the other night after the evocation of the archangels in the lbrp, it occurred to me that i might be banishing them during the brh. or am i incorrect? does the brh banish planetary influence only? or both planetary and elemental, in which case arent the 4 evoked archangels in the lbrp associated with the elements and therefore banished as well? i dont like the idea of evoking them and then banishing them soon after. just seems rude.
Dont worry about what Kraig says.You will not be able to summon these forces in the first place.Thats my opinion.You may wish to consider how such forces who exist in a supernatural realm alongside God and are subject only to that higher Intelligence can be commanded by you to do your bidding and then sent away as and when you wish.
At best you may reach into the preternatural realms wherein dwell the Angels of Earth or the Lesser Intelligences alongside their counterparts of evil.Be aware that it may take more than the Golden Dawn ideas of LBRP or Hexagram rituals to deal with such forces,

Yet again these ideas come from modern interpretations(even the Golden Dawn at its earliest is modern in this sense) of medieval Grimoires that were composed as much for magical philosophical hypotheses as for any intent to be employed in a practical sense.This is evident immediately when you examine the actual composers of these text.Agrippa for example was a Christian Theologian who studied with the Benedictine Abbot and Historian Johannes Trithemius.who also taught Paracelsus.All three were part of the Humanist movement,were scholars and who intended to impress the Royalty and leading dignitaries of their day.Like Dee later,all were also involved in the political polemics that were rife in European theological circles.

The Catholic Monks who composed,collected,stored and distributed virtually every magical text we know of,attempted to employ them in a different and specific way.Simply there is no evidence they were actually used for Evocations but rather for Astral or Image Magic vehicled by a devout life within the Monastery,
Perhaps if people like Kraig understood the actual texts and the reasons for their composition that alone may cause them to re-think their ideologies.

In the meantime welcome to OC!

Fear Her Whom The Winds Fear

Posted Image My Blog : http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com

#4 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Kraig prioritized doing over understanding, on the assumption that the understanding would emerge from the doing. There are traditions supporting that choice.

The general aspirant tends to focus on the actions described in the ritual instructions, and many aspirants never get to the point: which is significantly related to the feelings that accompany the specific actions, when performed "properly."

"Proper performance" techniques tend to be held close to the vest rather than being written into printed ritual instructions. There's are a few reasonably good reasons for that. These rituals were developed in the context of a secret society, a key feature of which is... well, keeping secrets; that's perhaps not a particularly good reason. Another, however, might be a belief that the sincere seeker should discover the proper techniques for themselves, and that the self-discovery component is one of the things that matters most. To that last point, "proper performance" does appear to be a substantially individual matter, such that no single instruction is likely to work well for everyone who tries to follow it.

I can describe what's supposed to happen when done right and proper though, using the pentagram rituals as the example. When you trace the Earth pentagram into the air at every quarter, the tracing process should feel the same at each quarter because it's the same process. If, however, you're doing one of the supreme forms of the pentagram ritual, which requires tracing a different Elemental pentagram at each quarter, the tracing process at each quarter should have a distinctly different feel from the others. The idea there is that tracing an Earth banishing pentagram is a different process from tracing a Fire banishing pentagram, and so on for the other Elemental pentagrams. The process of tracing each Element-specific pentagram should have it's own, unique feel.

Back to the LBRP form, when you charge the pentagram in the East with Yod-Heh-Vau-Heh, that process should have a distinctive feel relative to charging the pentagrams at the other quarters. Each God Name is distinct, and you're supposed to feel the differences. In kind, when you evoke the Archangels in their respective quarters, each quarter should have a distinctive feel to you. And to add, the feelings associated with the Yod-Heh-Vau-Heh charging process should be distinctly related with the feelings associated with evoking Raphael; to hazard a musical analogy, it should liken to the God Name being the root tone and the archangel being a harmonically resonant tone (like a perfect 5th, for those with a little music theory). The same relationships apply to each quarter.

By the end of the entire sequence, so long as you work within that space, you should continue to feel the distinctive feelings at each quarter, though not necessarily at the fore of your experience. That is, if you attend to it, everything you established during the process of the ritual should still be there. If, however, your focused on some work at your altar, the associated sensations can recede into the background of your overall experience, while still being there. By the time you get to doing practical magick following the Opening by the Watchtower ritual, what you've established at the quarters remain as reservoirs from which you may draw as needed to accomplish your work.

You're supposed to prosecute this work until there is no conscious thought involved, the way a ballet dancer rehearses the steps of an emotion-laden solo, until no conscious control or deliberation is required to accomplish the steps, allowing the dancer to focus all of their attention on expressing the emotional content of the dance.

Here's how one may test their development with respect to those goals: if with eyes closed someone spins you around in both directions, randomly enough to disorient you (blind man's buff style) and then faces you in a random direction, you should instantly know the direction you face by the combination of how you feel on your front, back, and sides.

By the time you achieve that level of ritual performance you will not have to wonder about the sorts of things you wonder about today. You'll know what you're supposed to know, and you'll be in the same boat as everyone else who's done this work successfully: you won't be able to explain to anyone else what the ritual really do.

I do have a technical tip that seems to help a lot of people with this. In addition to knowing that one should be developing distinctive sensations as described above, I call this the no-wasted-breath technique. The idea is to pace the ritual from beginning to end by a coherent breathing pattern. Each inhalation (with rare exception) is to be understood as drawing in generic energy or force, is held in the body briefly and imbued with specific intention, and is then expelled with the exhalation. In the case of tracing a pentagram, for example, the force is expelled along the active arm and out the tip of the dagger. In the LBRP, one place where a couple of extra breaths might be exercises are the moments between the completion of the pentagram tracing sequence and the evocation of the archangels.

Here's a thing: if you try to think about all of those things while trying to perform the ritual, you'd likely never get through it; your mind would quickly devolve into a muddled up mess. Using the no-wasted-breath technique helps prevent that, and in fact really helps to keep all extraneous thought at bay during performance. Even if you don't buy the distinctive feelings thing I just laid out, being able to do the ritual without intruding thoughts of any kind is a huge benefit. To my mind, you can trust that having heard the ideas I've expressed, you know about it and don't need to try to make it happen.You just need to focus all of your attention on the function at hand, to the exclusion of all else as you step through the rituals.

One last note: Kraig provides Elemental exercises, including an Elemental breathing technique. He clearly felt that the ritual instructions he provided along with the Elemental exercises was enough to develop the requisite distinctive feels that the ritual practice is designed to develop, without going into the above in detail. He's right about that, for some people, but not for everyone. There are more than a few folks about who believe that these rituals are really just the arm waving, and superstitiously believe that they're doing magick while not feeling a damn thing. Go figure.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#5 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

I will listen to Violet.In the real time these things written in books will not work sometime idea from people who did not do it but fantasy of what happen if they did.

Posted Image Touch not the cat without a glove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users