Vinegar Lore

27 replies to this topic

#21 violetstar

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

View PostOrlando, on 12 October 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

Oh dear, that is a bit crass, Violet; talking about me, but not to me; and particularly since I had already acknowledged my mistake with my post #14, above yours.

Not so fast, Violet, that is a bit of a cop-out. I would like to hear about it, please.
If you know of any mundane object having acquired magical properties without magic having been performed, or without it having been ritually gathered during certain planetary phases, or without a group mind thinking about it in certain ways, or without it having been named, or presented, or dedicated to spiritual forces, or without it having been in contact with spiritual forces such as sacred and holy places or a person, such as Saints relics have been etc., then I would like to know - put me right, please.
_
Ok.I was not referring to the charging but that you did not read the OP correctly.One other flaw was that you stated ".Most books on magic, particularly the ones on natural magic or witchcraft..." You have never seen a book on witchcraft simply because none have ever been written.They are all Wiccan or attempts to disguise neo-paganism under the term 'Traditional;'
I did not assume my post would be perceived as crass or that I had 'copped out'.I am happy to engage with you directly.as I have done in the past.
Nothing is more learned than Silence

My Blog http://violetstarmagic.weebly.com

#22 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:05 PM

View PostBrennan, on 12 October 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Yeah, from what I know of you, I figured you would already know how to do this, but I was surprised by the lack of practical responses to your original post as from what I know about rootwork, Practicality is an intrinsic aspect of the system. I don't recall rootworkers ever charging things per se, but petitions and prayers may fall under that term..... but even so.... that's more of a thing that happens while the casting/work is taking place and so might be components in and of themselves.
The thing about rootwork to keep in mind - which Wren pointed out earlier - is that these objects have inherent properties that are otherworldly. Lit candles produce heat, nails are sharp, putting someone's name in a glass bottle with high john root and pissing in it makes the person your bitch.. it's intrinsic.
And yes, Susan, I can hear you in the background saying that all power exists in the practitioner and not in the object itself.. to which I would counter that in the practice of rootwork, a person's power is being used to bring the inherent properties in an object together, which is why you'd use basil in a money gain spell and not sulfur which is better suited to banishings and fart jokes.
Wren, I am very curious though about why shrubbery and vinegar are in the same question.. care to elaborate?

A shrub is a fruity drinking vinegar thing. Pickled fruit juice might be the best way to put it.

#23 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:42 AM

That sounds very useful... It reminds me of an elixir. Thanks for the info.

#24 violetstar

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

View Postwren, on 12 October 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

A shrub is a fruity drinking vinegar thing. Pickled fruit juice might be the best way to put it.
I am now wondering if the preservative of ancient Mesopotamia was rather what you say,pickled fruit juice.

#25 Spida

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

View Postvioletstar, on 13 October 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

I am now wondering if the preservative of ancient Mesopotamia was rather what you say,pickled fruit juice.

I don't see why not. They harvested apples in ancient Iraq. Because of the high sugar content would be ideal for fermentation. Must be an exceptional method as it is still used extensively today. Not sure what the pros and cons would be using Apples as opposed to Barley or the Sap from Palm trees. I'm sure they used whatever method was the easiest, least wasteful, and most productive.

Edited by Spida, 13 October 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#26 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

View Postvioletstar, on 13 October 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

No telling, but I doubt it was a shrub. Shrubs use the vinegar to stave off further fermentation of sugar; they are made to stay sweet. Necessarily, they have less preservative punch. Straight vingar would make a much better preservative, though, sure it could be made from fruit juice like an apple cider vinegar.

#27 violetstar

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Apple is historically correct and its their after fermentation from cider was known in ancient Greece and Egypt too It ranks among the earliest known medicines.

#28 Sheperdess

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

From Netherlands we have the Hachee with the vinegar for slow cook.It is stew and have the apple with red cabbage.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users