Kabbalah And The Qlipoth

6 replies to this topic

#1 SabahSnoblod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm studying within a LHP tradition that makes use of Qlipoth quite a bit. My basic understanding is that Qlipoth is the "shadow" side of the Tree of Life in Kabbalah and climbing either tree requires you to enter the spheres/shells (Qlipoth in the dark side, Sephirot on the light side) up the system.

That being said, this has given me the distinct impression that since Qlipoth is a Kabbalistic term and of that origin, studying Kabbalah itself would give a better understanding and context of both Qlipoth and Sephirot, and of this system in general.

So I'm basically asking; What sources are good for people who have a very minimal, beginner-like understanding of Kabbalah and want to expand their knowledge, especially of the Tree of Life?

Thanks,

Sabah
I am the Dragon. I am Chaos. I am the Devil. I am with Fangs. I am of Mind. Yet I am my own.

#2 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Lon Milo DuQuette's Chicken Qabbalah is a great simple introduction.

#3 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

Also, the qlippoth can be completely excised from Hermetic Qabbalah without an appreciable loss.

The pillar of Severity can take on the "challeging" and "adversarial" role.

Alternatively, one can view all forces as being fundamentally "neutral," containing the potential for both good and evil through application. I recommend this approach.

Splitting the tree along the lines of "good and evil" is affirming moral absolutism, the belief in the universal truth of a single ethical system. The "Good" is in front and the "Evil" is behind. Working with the qlippoth brings you into conflict with the absolute and universal good you establish by splitting the tree. It is like affirming that God is Good and then spitting in his face. Better to rebel by saying "God is Bad," or "Morality isn't a valid metaphysical category."

I am sorry to be preachy, but you said you had a beginner understanding of the Qabbalah, so I felt you should get the warning.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, I don't hold the belief that you have to go through both trees simultaneously, or sequentially. That is misunderstanding the nature of attunement and cosmology.

It is just practically expedient to work the spheres sequentially in ritual because it acts to engrain the Paths into the mind of the practitioner. It also serves to deepen trance by giving more time to tune in to the experience. Because it is expedient to work sequentially, you end up starting at the bottom and working up. You wouldn't go straight to Tiphareth because there will be a lot of new ground to cover first, and a lot to record and digest. It is just an expedience thing, though. At the same time, there's nothing stopping you from doing a Jupiter/Chesed attunement before a Moon/Yesod attunement. You just start at your target path/ sphere.

Sometimes you have bad shit come up that you need to resolve when you do attunements. You can think of that as you proving yourself to the spirits, burning up bad karma, or just a part of the shamanic initiation meta-myth. Blowing it out of proportion and fetishizing the experience by giving it a solid place in your cosmology is stupid, though. It doesn't even happen everytime, much less to every person. Idolizing it is a good way to tell the World that you want that sort of punishment, and the World will deliver if you get "into" the "current."

#4 Spida

Messenger

• Members
  • 858 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Dion Fortune's "The Mystical Qabalah" is one of the best intro's, and also very advanced in some aspects.

#5 SabahSnoblod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

View Postwren, on 13 September 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Also, the qlippoth can be completely excised from Hermetic Qabbalah without an appreciable loss.

The pillar of Severity can take on the "challeging" and "adversarial" role.

Alternatively, one can view all forces as being fundamentally "neutral," containing the potential for both good and evil through application. I recommend this approach.

Splitting the tree along the lines of "good and evil" is affirming moral absolutism, the belief in the universal truth of a single ethical system. The "Good" is in front and the "Evil" is behind. Working with the qlippoth brings you into conflict with the absolute and universal good you establish by splitting the tree. It is like affirming that God is Good and then spitting in his face. Better to rebel by saying "God is Bad," or "Morality isn't a valid metaphysical category."

I am sorry to be preachy, but you said you had a beginner understanding of the Qabbalah, so I felt you should get the warning.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, I don't hold the belief that you have to go through both trees simultaneously, or sequentially. That is misunderstanding the nature of attunement and cosmology.

It is just practically expedient to work the spheres sequentially in ritual because it acts to engrain the Paths into the mind of the practitioner. It also serves to deepen trance by giving more time to tune in to the experience. Because it is expedient to work sequentially, you end up starting at the bottom and working up. You wouldn't go straight to Tiphareth because there will be a lot of new ground to cover first, and a lot to record and digest. It is just an expedience thing, though. At the same time, there's nothing stopping you from doing a Jupiter/Chesed attunement before a Moon/Yesod attunement. You just start at your target path/ sphere.

Sometimes you have bad shit come up that you need to resolve when you do attunements. You can think of that as you proving yourself to the spirits, burning up bad karma, or just a part of the shamanic initiation meta-myth. Blowing it out of proportion and fetishizing the experience by giving it a solid place in your cosmology is stupid, though. It doesn't even happen everytime, much less to every person. Idolizing it is a good way to tell the World that you want that sort of punishment, and the World will deliver if you get "into" the "current."

Useful to know. I will have to keep that in mind.
I am the Dragon. I am Chaos. I am the Devil. I am with Fangs. I am of Mind. Yet I am my own.

#6 SabahSnoblod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

View PostSpida, on 17 September 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Dion Fortune's "The Mystical Qabalah" is one of the best intro's, and also very advanced in some aspects.

View Postwren, on 12 September 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Lon Milo DuQuette's Chicken Qabbalah is a great simple introduction.

Thank you both for the book recommendations! These will help me quite a lot.

#7 Spida

Messenger

• Members
  • 858 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

Also "The Practical Qabalah" by Robert Ambelain. Which covers the "Tree of Death", Qlippoth, or Shells as they are sometimes referred, and associated Currents/Magical Images.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users