Pathworking: Air

pathworking

8 replies to this topic

#1 Monkey Sage

Founder

• Moderators
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

Once, long ago, I heard of a practice called "pathworking". I don't recall what exactly it means, but my vague recollection leads me to believe it's something I would like to try doing with one of the four classical elements: air

I'm not confident this can even be done, given that I'm not even sure what exactly "pathworking" even is. So I am turning to the community to request some insight into this. Can someone pathwork air? If so, what might that look like? What is the purpose or goal of pathworking, if there is one?

Thank you

Posted Image

#2 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:38 AM

Pathworking usually means imagining yourself exploring a particular path on the tree of life. You might make a big deal of creating a ritual with specific correspondences, or just sit down and point your imagination in the right direction. Air is associated with the mother letter Aleph and the first path on the tree of life. This is normally associated with the Tarot card 0, the Fool.

The simplest way to pathwork Air would be to try to enter and explore the world behind the image of The Fool in a tarot deck.

Edited by wren, 12 August 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#3 Monkey Sage

Founder

• Moderators
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

Thank you, wren :)

Posted Image

#4 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:38 AM

Sure, no problem. Just about all the G.D. groups have their take on pathworking.

#5 violetstar

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostMonkey Sage, on 12 August 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

Once, long ago, I heard of a practice called "pathworking". I don't recall what exactly it means, but my vague recollection leads me to believe it's something I would like to try doing with one of the four classical elements: air

I'm not confident this can even be done, given that I'm not even sure what exactly "pathworking" even is. So I am turning to the community to request some insight into this. Can someone pathwork air? If so, what might that look like? What is the purpose or goal of pathworking, if there is one?

Thank you
Here is a decent and reliable overview tat I feel will help you: http://www.jwmt.org/...athworking.html
Nothing is more learned than Silence

#6 Curious Cat

Nanwu

• Owner
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Pathworking used to seem like hooey to me. Now I'm not so sure though, especially with the M7R work that I have been doing for the past year.

I'm part of the Rune Soup premium members and we are starting a course on journeying that is very interesting. Since becoming a middle aged man, I'm not at as imaginative as I was as a kid. The course, once it begins in another week or so, is supposed to deal a lot with Jung's active imagination and his Red Book. The courses on grimoires alone was worth the cost of becoming a member, btw.

One of the experts that he had on his podcast recommended the book The Inner Guide Meditation by Edwin C. Steinbrecher. I bought a used copy and I have looked a bit through it. It is really interesting and I would suggest that it might be very useful for what you have in mind. I'm mulling the idea of combining connected breathing with active imagination.

#7 Monkey Sage

Founder

• Moderators
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Postvioletstar, on 12 August 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Here is a decent and reliable overview tat I feel will help you: http://www.jwmt.org/...athworking.html
Thank you, violetstar! This was an excellent resource that very clearly explained what pathworking is and how it's done, that's exactly what I was looking for. While I don't believe that I resonate with the Tarot or the Hebrew Alphabet, there is a lot in this technique that I can make very good use of when it comes to exploring the air element. I believe I can take this technique as inspiration and tailor it to something that really touches my mind in a powerful way. :)

View PostCurious Cat, on 12 August 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Pathworking used to seem like hooey to me. Now I'm not so sure though, especially with the M7R work that I have been doing for the past year.

I'm part of the Rune Soup premium members and we are starting a course on journeying that is very interesting. Since becoming a middle aged man, I'm not at as imaginative as I was as a kid. The course, once it begins in another week or so, is supposed to deal a lot with Jung's active imagination and his Red Book. The courses on grimoires alone was worth the cost of becoming a member, btw.

One of the experts that he had on his podcast recommended the book The Inner Guide Meditation by Edwin C. Steinbrecher. I bought a used copy and I have looked a bit through it. It is really interesting and I would suggest that it might be very useful for what you have in mind. I'm mulling the idea of combining connected breathing with active imagination.
Given its heavy reliance on visualization, I wonder how successful I might be at tailoring this method to my own propensities. I don't really 'get' the Tarot and, so, I don't think contemplating the Major Arcana would hold much significance for me and I'm a bit too old to rewire my brain to be Arcana-friendly. That said, I think there's something of value in the underlying technique, and I get the sense that that may be what the book you recommended is about? That sense of exploring an abstract thing which has material consequences, in the mind, with specific keystone markers so you don't get lost and you get something of value out of it?

Posted Image

#8 Curious Cat

Nanwu

• Owner
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

I'm pretty sure you could adapt it to any archetypal images.

#9 wren

Venerable Member

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

It doesn't even need to be an image. You can "step through" any visual symbol. Letters, numbers, sigils, symbols, chakras, mandalas, etc. are all fair game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users