It Just Broke.

19 replies to this topic

#1 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

So I have this amulet. Very important to me.
Not too long ago, I was worrying something pretty fierce while getting ready for bed.
When the sweater I was wearing was almost off, I noticed that amulet on the ground.
Just the amulet, I was still wearing the cord.
The very first thought I had, and it was the only thought as the rest of me was silent,
was 'wow. that was one hell of a blow', marveling at this amulet's jump to my defense.

Do I repair and resume wearing it, or is it better to honor that sacrifice with gratitude?

#2 Xuanyue-玄月-

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

I would opt for the latter and give gratitude in some ritual fashion you find appropriate.

宇宙在乎手萬化生乎身

#3 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

You don't say how the amulet was afixed to the cord, that detail is very important. If it was a flimsy o ring that is simply tightened to close then no it doesn't mean the amulet did it's job. Those are so easily snagged and pulled open they are almost worthless. Was it a saddleback clasp? Again basically worthless, They open quite easily when the catch piece gets hung up on something and if you were removing a sweater and the tab gets hung then the amulet protected against nothing. Was it a fisherman's knotted thread or coil? Something like that would be different as it's designed to withstand some force being acted upon it.

Sorry in my opinion the fact you were removing your sweater says more about the action that removed the amulet than any force acting against you personally.
I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

#4 wren

• Moderators
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Some traditions say not to pick up a broken amulet without protection. They say that the broken amulet is holding down what's left of the bad juju.

#5 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:46 AM

The cord was braided embroidery floss, and it was worn down.
The edges were frayed probably because of the o-ring.

In writing the initial post it did occur to me that I may have mind-gamed my worry onto the coincidental amulet break-age.

I'm probably going to cleanse it and remake it altogether.
Take it as a lesson in maintenance and attention.

Thank you.

#6 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:48 AM

View Postwren, on 15 April 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Some traditions say not to pick up a broken amulet without protection. They say that the broken amulet is holding down what's left of the bad juju.

If the amulet had broken i'd agree with that. But it doesn't appear, well to me anyway from reading this, that the amulet is damaged. Separated from the cord but not shattered, broken, cracked or otherwise damaged in anyway.

#7 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

View PostBrennan, on 16 April 2017 - 02:46 AM, said:

The cord was braided embroidery floss, and it was worn down. The edges were frayed probably because of the o-ring. In writing the initial post it did occur to me that I may have mind-gamed my worry onto the coincidental amulet break-age. I'm probably going to cleanse it and remake it altogether. Take it as a lesson in maintenance and attention. Thank you.

Looks like we cross posted. Given this response I'd definitely say it sounds like the amulet simply parted from the cord and nothing more.

Not to say I wouldn't maybe purify the amulet again as a general rule simply because it's been in the theoretical dust and dirt. But the amulet itself and it's magical purpose and construction i'd say is intact.

#8 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

No.
The amulet itself wasn't damaged at all, so perhaps my post-title was misleading by accident.
I consider the whole of it to be an amulet, as the cord is just as important as the pendent itself.
although for different reasons.

edit: Ha ha! cross-post again!

Edited by Brennan, 16 April 2017 - 02:53 AM.

#9 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

If you've charged the cord for one purpose and the amulet for another purpose then you might surmise it's time to separate the two purposes. Even to the possible point they have reached a stage where they are now counter-productive to each other's original function and goal.

But only you can really answer that question.

#10 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

That is a very good question to ask.
Thank you.

#11 wren

• Moderators
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

View Postmonsnoleedra, on 16 April 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

If the amulet had broken i'd agree with that. But it doesn't appear, well to me anyway from reading this, that the amulet is damaged. Separated from the cord but not shattered, broken, cracked or otherwise damaged in anyway.

I disagree.

The amulet is and isn't the necklace.

Brennan's intuition tells us that the "amulet" broke when the "necklace" came apart. So does his choice of title.

To ignore the amulet in favor of the necklace is to "disenchant" it. The physical cause of the breakage is irrelevant to its status as a portent/omen/thing. You could take it as explanatory of the nature of the omen if that was what spoke to you, but that'd vary from person to person. I think your suggestion on these lines to Brennan is quite logical.

For me, if I had the reaction Brennan did, it would be stiffling to my intuition and magic to downplay the event in any way. My way of looking at it is that proper disposal of material remains is the seal on the work of protection magic that is drawn to a close by the appearance of the omen of the amulet breaking.

Any attempt at repair work would need to be kintsugi(metaphorically).

#12 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

For me I'm looking at it from the premise of jewelry. The charm and the chain are independent of each other. Yet for a true necklace it's all made as one element and not hung on by a single orb or string. Typically when referring to a complete work as an amulet it's a full piece of jewelry when referring to an amulet alone it was typically similar to a charm. It could be hung from a chain like a locket, weaved into hair, weaved into a belt, sewn into clothes, etc to be worn on the person, animal.

The only times I saw where one might say the chain was part of the pattern or form of the amulet was when weaved into clothes. Don't see them much any more but it's like in the late 70's early 80's when the western style shirts with the fancy sewn patterns were so big saw a few with amulets weaved into the beaded patterns. The person swore it helped attract sexual partners. Saw some girls who did it with those darn bedazzlers back in the day.where they made the entire item an amulet and used the bedazzler stones and patterns the means of making the amulet.

But an amulet on a chain / string jewelry wise in how I was taught are two separate things. One is simply a vessel used to carry the other under one condition.

#13 wren

• Moderators
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

View Postmonsnoleedra, on 16 April 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

For me I'm looking at it from the premise of jewelry. The charm and the chain are independent of each other. Yet for a true necklace it's all made as one element and not hung on by a single orb or string. Typically when referring to a complete work as an amulet it's a full piece of jewelry when referring to an amulet alone it was typically similar to a charm. It could be hung from a chain like a locket, weaved into hair, weaved into a belt, sewn into clothes, etc to be worn on the person, animal.

The only times I saw where one might say the chain was part of the pattern or form of the amulet was when weaved into clothes. Don't see them much any more but it's like in the late 70's early 80's when the western style shirts with the fancy sewn patterns were so big saw a few with amulets weaved into the beaded patterns. The person swore it helped attract sexual partners. Saw some girls who did it with those darn bedazzlers back in the day.where they made the entire item an amulet and used the bedazzler stones and patterns the means of making the amulet.

But an amulet on a chain / string jewelry wise in how I was taught are two separate things. One is simply a vessel used to carry the other under one condition.

That's neither here nor there with concerns to the point I am trying to make.

Brennan instinctually responded to a (potentially) portentious event. That instinctual meaning attributing response makes the event in question a portent. The question is, "how do I respond to this portent?" That's my point; the portent has happened. Ignoring it or downplaying it is working against the framework already established by practice.

By "jumping to his defense" at "one hell of a blow," the amulet has "done its job." I.e. the working has been completed. Now, why would you want to force a working on after it has "died?" You could, with enough work, but I look at it like kintsugi.

The bowl (necklace) has been shaped and fired (enchanted). At the end of its working life(takes the hit) it breaks (portent is recieved). Now that it is broken it can be thrown away, ground down into grog (disposed of/dismantled), used as is without fixing the break (just restringing the amulet), or kintsugi can be applied (new working done with old materials.)

With kintsugi, the instant of breakage is immortalized and made beautiful, higlighting both the transcience of beauty and the beauty of transcience. I'm suggesting that any "repair" of the amulet should partake in that... (I wish this was German so I could slam nouns together to make a new word. Oh well, doing it anyway.) Mythopoeticcraftsknowledgeknowingmagic. The repaired object is fundamentally different because of the process of breakage and repair.

The portent has already happened; it is an inalienable part of the timeline of the amulet. Beginnings and endings are limnal times. By including the magical significance of the "death" of the amulet in your response, you "close the loop" of the working, and draw from the mysteries of cycles and time. You strengthen your working going forwards and backwards.

I'm just concerned that Brennan might step back when it is more beneficial to step forward.

#14 violetstar

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

View PostXuanyue-玄月-, on 15 April 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

I would opt for the latter and give gratitude in some ritual fashion you find appropriate.
That is the answer.Breaking the Amulet accidentally carried no Will or Intent.Therefore no action is required except to give thanks if one wishes.
To face a real daemon, you must first look inwards and conquer your own darkness.Luis Marques

#15 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

I don't disagree that it is more beneficial to step forward than to digress. I do think though that forward movement based upon erroneous information or conclusions though is dangerous. The way this is reading is like immortalizing the breaking of a shoestring and having the shoe fly off in the process. The shoe is not broken, not has it's function or purpose been changed, only the strapping that held it in place failed for some reason. It is in understanding why the strapping failed that you understand why the shoe flew off. Yet the show itself is still fully functional and can serve the purpose it was designed to perform. In this instance the amulet was noticed after a garment was being removed and later input reveals the cord was infact worn. The defect was in the cord not the amulet so it did not fail nor was broken.

Under the process of kintsugi, there are no fragments to be glued together with gold and used to recreate an honored piece. There are no failure or break points that can be filled in or molded together to give the break points new strength and structure to bring the original form and strength back together. That which was broken can not be remade or made anew. You can't use the concept of kirlian photography to find the energy shadow and fill it in with gold to capture and rebuild the missing physical form. The Nipponese go to lots of ritual lengths with Kintsugi and employ quite a bit of Shinto practice at more than a few sacred sites to make the broken reborn.

But it is clear we have differing opinions as to how this is working and perhaps even what part of this constitutes what an amulet is

#16 wren

• Moderators
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

Yeah, I get the feeling that further discussion could be interesting, but probably not productive.

#17 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

It isn't the first time this amulet has been refired with gold, but I needed this thread in order to recognize that.
The first time, the cord was black leather with four white-heart beads. It was ripped off of me.
The assailant became fearful, I presume at having realized his action, and fled.
As I recall it felt.. inappropriate to resume wearing it. So it and the broken cord rested in a cedar box with sagebrush.
I kept copal in that box also, as well as dragon's blood and amber.
Years later, a new cord was made and I resumed wearing it.
I reflect and realize that I would go to it often for comfort, wearing down the cord.
It did take something, but whether it was psychological or not, I do not know.
I'll need to find some sagebrush, and amber.

Funny story.
When I was remodeling my kitchen I decided to make the counter cement.
A crack formed as it dried and grew from wall to edge.
I used wood glue and sawdust to fill the crack, then painted it with gold-leaf.
Kintsugi is a beautiful concept.

#18 wren

• Moderators
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

My other point was that the "psychological," the "magical," and the physical are not mutually exclusive. Even trying to separate them is difficult, and generally not desirable.

#19 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

View Postwren, on 17 April 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

My other point was that the "psychological," the "magical," and the physical are not mutually exclusive. Even trying to separate them is difficult, and generally not desirable.

That goes back to the triangle for me. All things require the psychological (mind / form) - magical / spiritual (though / purpose) - physical (energy / catalyst) for an action to take affect / effect. Remove a corner and the process fails so it is generally no desirable / advisable to separate them. Where I tend to get hammered I suppose is in over analyzing (mind) a corner's influence not trying to remove it.

I think individual personality traits and types play a big role here. It's like I am an ISTJ Introvert, Sensing, Thinking Judgmental so do lots of internal pondering and thinking about things. before I tend to act upon them. Right up there under the psychological stage of mind / form.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 17 April 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#20 monsnoleedra

• Old Timers
  • 314 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostBrennan, on 17 April 2017 - 03:44 AM, said:

It isn't the first time this amulet has been refired with gold, but I needed this thread in order to recognize that.
The first time, the cord was black leather with four white-heart beads. It was ripped off of me.
The assailant became fearful, I presume at having realized his action, and fled.
As I recall it felt.. inappropriate to resume wearing it. So it and the broken cord rested in a cedar box with sagebrush.
I kept copal in that box also, as well as dragon's blood and amber.
Years later, a new cord was made and I resumed wearing it.
I reflect and realize that I would go to it often for comfort, wearing down the cord.
It did take something, but whether it was psychological or not, I do not know.
I'll need to find some sagebrush, and amber.

Funny story.
When I was remodeling my kitchen I decided to make the counter cement.
A crack formed as it dried and grew from wall to edge.
I used wood glue and sawdust to fill the crack, then painted it with gold-leaf.
Kintsugi is a beautiful concept.

I don't know what your amulet was originally designed for or against but if it was shattered from an attack I have to ask did you unmake it? By unmaking did you strip away all the enchantments that were laid upon it and all the layering that was weaved into the spell work for it. Not only stripped away but truthfully removed in the order they were placed upon it? That or did you simply take the shattered / broken amulet place it in the box along with the cord and later fix it with the gold?

If it was broken under an attack and you simply kept it as it was and put it back together then not only theoretically did you put all the blocks back in but you also tied in the energy residue from the shattering force. In essence creating a thread that tied the re-cast amulet to what-ever or whom-ever the shatter energy was tied to. People tend to forget a shattered amulet, charm, ward, etc is like an area after a major flood. Yet the dam might hold back the waters but the muck and mire is still there and has to be physically cleaned away and the damaged area removed and replaced as well. Sage is fine, so is cedar but it doesn't remove the damage or the energy from a shatter it only removes the energy from an unfocused encounter or something you pass through.

That you felt safe wearing it or comforted by it is logical. It worked, it shattered and drove away something. Yet there is also potentially a deadly trap there as well. You feel safe in it's hold yet it could be a false safety and actually have been an opening to you. Especially if it was unmade and simply re-cast. The re-breaking could be a final crushing of its purpose or a test to see if you are reachable.

Many neo-pagans like to talk about the threads that bind and connect but never really stop to understand it in depth. An amulet that has been shattered is a door that was tested but the key is still in the door. The key is bent and twisted but still there none the less and the person still has their hand on the key potentially. Unmaking the amulet removes the key for it unmakes the door.

Maybe I am over thinking things, perhaps, I was trained to think differently, how to exploit things and find weaknesses. Take it for what it worth or forget it, it's all up to you. But I do ask that you at least think about it. Don't let it scare you for being aware is knowledge of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users