- - - - -

Evocation Frequency

evocation

3 replies to this topic

#1 oneiroplanes

• Old Timers
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

I'm curious to know how often those who are inclined to evoke do so. I've found it difficult to strike a balance between practicing evocation and finding that, if I try it too frequently, I seem to exhaust my magical reserves-- the ritual just doesn't have the same kind of spark/sense of spirit-connection/heavy, punctuated intensity that it does when I am a little sparser about it. At the same time, my ability to scry has gotten better with time, and it's frustrating that I can't seem to engage in routine practice to make it even better.

While my purposes for evocation were to find spirits to work with regularly and establish a relationship with and that has been quite productive, I do find that because I call upon them consistently, my experiences don't quite reach the heights of, for instance, the experiences described by Frater Archer's Arbatel Sequence. This is certainly due to the amount of preparation, meditation and effort he put into his rituals, and probably because they are big events he anticipated and worked to attain.

I'm about to start an evocation cycle based on the decans sequence and I think three times a month is about right for now. I suspect I will need a big break when the year is up. What have your experiences been?

Edited by oneiroplanes, 16 March 2017 - 04:33 PM.

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
"And the Heavens reject not:
The desire of the moth for the star"

#2 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

From 2003 until 2009, I made a point of doing one conjuration during each of the lunar cycles. Keep in mind that during this time, I was not living a "normal lifestyle," as my income did not require having a job in the traditional sense. I also had a large home with a 20x20 second-floor room set aside for the purpose.

Between 2009 and 2014, I stepped into the circle less frequently for conjuration, but spent more time working on the things that had developed during the previous years, learning as instructed or producing the kinds of things requested during the conjurations. After that, I moved to a small island, and worked on a hilltop in the forest behind my home. These days I spend less time working with the circle, but when I do break it out it takes a lot more work and a hike off into the forest, preparing for things like foreign travel and important business.

I think that the purpose of the conjuration plays into the "impact" more than the preparation. You can starve and chant for days, and it means nothing if your reason for calling the spirit is trivial. The level of importance of the conjuration should be enough to color the way you approach it, whether that means taking time off for it or just saying "Enough! I'm going to let the spirits handle this!" and setting to work right away.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#3 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postoneiroplanes, on 16 March 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'm about to start an evocation cycle based on the decans sequence and I think three times a month is about right for now. I suspect I will need a big break when the year is up. What have your experiences been?

I know that you're familiar with the following ideas, but for the readership generally:

The Decans of the Zodiac are functionally definable as 10° segments of the Wheel. In context, each Sign occupies a 30° segment, and each Sign can be subdivided into 3 equal parts (the Decans). To further specify, in a Seasonal Zodiac, the Modes of the Signs, Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable, represent the Ascendance, the Peak, and the Decline of the Season. Correspondingly, the Decans represent the Ascendence, Peak, and Decline of the Sign.

Being associated with a 10° segment of a 360° Wheel, each Decan does equate to roughly 10-11 days, adjusting for the fact that the solar year is a little longer than 360 days. Going through them in a years time, starting on the impending Spring Equinox is a venerable plan in my opinion. :)

Also for the general readership, the schema above can be applied for an empirical exploration, in lieu of any traditional associations with the Decans (the literature to do with The Faces, etc.). So, the first Decan of the Sign of Aries can be understood as the Ascendant Sign of Spring in its Ascendance, followed by the Ascendant Sign of Spring at its Peak, etc.

To your question, in my experience following a one Spirit/Decan pace and carrying it though the year will require more commitment and perseverance than the average magician tends to manage. Prior experience with a committed annual program of development should certainly help a lot. :)

By way of encouragement, persevere. Get one done every 10-11 days. By way of advice, try to get the literal evocation done at the beginning of the decanate, so that you can observe the effects for as may of the remaining days as possible.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#4 oneiroplanes

• Old Timers
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

From 2003 until 2009, I made a point of doing one conjuration during each of the lunar cycles. Keep in mind that during this time, I was not living a "normal lifestyle," as my income did not require having a job in the traditional sense. I also had a large home with a 20x20 second-floor room set aside for the purpose.

It's cheering to know that worked for you. Part of the reason I am doing this sequence now is that I have an excuse not to work much in the next year, and I don't know when I'll get such a chance again to totally immerse myself in magic. The specialized room eludes me though! That's particularly enviable.

I am similarly hoping that, as with so many things (such as exercise; it's much easier to maintain than to build fitness), my experience mirrors yours in terms of being able to take the lessons I learned into future years, and improve without the same level of effort. Did you find there were diminishing returns, or did the fact you didn't have to worry so much about income mean you had the capacity to focus?

Prior experience with a committed annual program of development should certainly help a lot. :)

I certainly agree :)

Edited by oneiroplanes, 18 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
"And the Heavens reject not:
The desire of the moth for the star"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users