* * * * - 1 votes

Are You New?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Cat

Nanwu

• Owner
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Occult Corpus like many other forums is constantly being subjected to spammers attempting to sign-up.

After your member account has been validated, your first two posts need to be approved. If you are a new member, please create a new introduction thread and reply to at least one post. After two of your posts have been approved, your posts no longer need moderator approval.

If you begin posting in an already existing thread before being approved twice, chances are that the moderators will not see your posts and the posts will not get approved.

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message a moderator or administrator.

#2 Curious Cat

Nanwu

• Owner
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

I believe that we lose members due to having to post twice and get approved by a moderator. I know that I find a second post from a member that was new that never was approved sometimes a year later. By that time the member is long gone.

How do you think we could improve it and still keep the forum spam-free for the most part?

#3 Spida

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:20 PM

1. Make sure links in your forum are set to ‘nofollow’. This tells search engine crawlers not to follow the links and therfore, SEO spammers will derive no benefit from spamming your forum.

2. Make sure registration includes a CAPTCHA. Captcha’s are those slightly deformed images of words and you see on sign up pages. Captcha’s do a pretty good job of keeping out spam bots.

3. Require email confirmation before allowing someone to post. Bots and humans can get around this but it’s an extra bit of efforts that most real people won’t mind.

4. Enable anti-spam plugins. These plugins can automatically detect suspected spam based on links, IP addresses, email addresses and the comment itself. Keep in mind that these plugins are not 100% effective and do sometimes return false positives.

5. Don’t allow editing of comments after a few minutes have passed. A frequent trick used by spammers is to create a comment that doesn’t look out of place (For example: “This is a great post, very insightful.”) and then will come back after a couple of weeks and edit the comment to include spam links.

6. Get the whole community involved. Ask members to help out moderators and flag spam. In Vanilla, this can be done with the Spam Reaction.

7. Be ruthless. Moderators and admin should review the spam queue on a daily basis, ban spammers and delete all their content.

8. Only allow members that have proven themselves and have a reputation to be allowed to post links.

9. Provide information on advertising and partnering opportunities you might offer and make it clear in your community guidelines what
is and what is not acceptable promotion. This can help with accidental spammers who are trying to legitimately sell something to your audience.

I'm not sure I agree with 8, also I know one Occult Forum that does IP bans on problem countries.

Edited by Spida, Yesterday, 12:22 PM.

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more. - Nicola Tesla

#4 violetstar

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 01:39 PM

View PostCurious Cat, on 11 August 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I believe that we lose members due to having to post twice and get approved by a moderator. I know that I find a second post from a member that was new that never was approved sometimes a year later. By that time the member is long gone.

How do you think we could improve it and still keep the forum spam-free for the most part?
What Spida advises above looks the answer to the potential spam problem.

How about the new member being required to PM a Mod after the second post for approval?
Nothing is more learned than Silence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users