- - - - -

Which Gods Represent To You Pure Being, Consciousness, Omnipotence Etc.?

5 replies to this topic

#1 jeebles

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:56 AM

I'm looking for some archetypes to use as a focus for ritual/prayer...basically for general well being, health, wealth etc. I'm not interested in learning whole systems with complete pantheons of God forms, I just want one or two forms to work with.

One that seems to come up a lot is Ganesh, the elephant headed Hindu God, but I'd like to consider others as well to see which ones resonate with me the most.

#2 Brennan

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

One description that has stood out to me the most with the divine is 'incomprehensible'. I'm not trying to say that Ganesh, or any of them, aren't divine.. but they can be fathomed which is rather meaningful to me in that they don't stand up to my mental archetype of an omnipotent, omnipresent Godhead. So when I address my own archetype of omnipotence there is no name, or image that I use. It's more of a conceptual understanding that I am literally incapable of, in the farthest reaches of my imagination, comprehending or truly knowing this divine and it's from this perspective that I address It. I address the vague limitations that I am required to impose in order to have something to address to begin with.

What I would suggest is finding/mapping your own... because they're there. You have them. These ideal forms already exist within your mind and I'm willing to bet that you already have associations linked with them. Find them and work with them. Discover and map them out by exploring your own psychology and belief structure. I would suggest that instead of looking for externals to work with, find your own internal structures and then if you really want to, link them to external forms.

Edited by Brennan, 21 January 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#3 jeebles

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

That's something I'll really have to dig deep for - no doubt that'll come within time, but for the time being I'm interested in exploring existing mythological figures, mainly because I enjoy the process of internalising them by reading up on various myths, stories, and exploring works of art that people have conceived over the centuries. It helps me get a better grip on a concept that is, as you say, unfathomable. But although it is formless and beyond comprehension in physical terms, in my mind that energy can take on any form it likes, so while I accept that those forms are but a tiny aspect of 'the infinite', to me they still represent just that. I see the value in your method though and will come back to it at some point.

Edited by jeebles, 21 January 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#4 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

From one point of view, mythical figures belong to the culture in which they initially express, and what they are outside of the hearts and minds of those born to that culture is not straight-forward. It might be something, but it won't necessarily be the same thing. The context for understanding what the myths really mean, what drew a given figure out of the aether, what powers they truly have, etc., the substance of understanding starts to develop as and when a person acquires their first language, between one and two years of age, and even before that. The process continues across the lifespan too. That we can learn about the stories of foreign cultures, as adults, doesn't necessarily mean that we can suss their meaning. We can come to know something, but it's something else, because a foreigner has a different basis of understanding, established between their ages of one and two, etc.

From that point of view, the idea and recognition that world mythologies express generic themes may be a real phenomenon, but we might be circumspect about where that can get us. Suppose that that stuff takes place in our hypothetical mind, in our capacity to imagine various scenarios for comparative purposes, in service of making judgments and decisions. But the exercise of that capacity may not be what brings us in contact with deity.
Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#5 NovusEngel

• Old Timers
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Marduk of the 50 names is pretty complete and well rounded. I think of him quite often as a pretty swell guy. It just rings well with me always has. and although not a God Metatron is fairly awesome. Theres so many mythologies out there and honestly if you have a good squishy warm feeling about Ganesh, go with it... Magic isnt rigid, its fluid. Do what works for you, faith and magic are about personal focus... You do what feels right for you as long as you follow harm ye none your golden. - Nova

#6 Barrackubus

• Old Timers
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSainr Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:26 AM

Thor.
It should never be forgotten for a single moment that the central and essential work of the Magician is the attainment of the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Once he has achieved this he must of course be left entirely in the hands of that Angel, who can be invariably and inevitably relied upon to lead him to the further great step—crossing of the Abyss and the attainment of the grade of Master of the Temple. (Magick Without Tears, Ch.83)

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole law....
28) Every man has a right to fulfil his own will without being afraid that it may interfere with that of others; for if he is in his proper place, it is t he fault of others if they interfere with him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users