Chinese Folk Religion: Di Ya Pek Channeled Through A Spirit Medium

Chinese Folk Religion Folk Religion Medium Spirit Medium Singapore

7 replies to this topic

#1 Xuanyue-玄月-

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

A Chinese folk religion spirit medium1 functioning as a medium for the underworld deity, Di Ya Pek 二爺伯.

The black robed Di Ya Pek is from a pair of deities called the Heibai Wuchang (黑白無常 "Black and White Impermanence").

This is valuable footage for those interested in Chinese folk religion or mediumship in different cultures. It includes English commentary and the questions and answers the creator of the video had during consultation with Di Ya Pek (as channeled through the medium).

Any insights on comparing and contrasting what can be seen in this form of mediumship with that of other cultures?

From the YouTube video description:

Filmed in Singapore, the video shows a powerful and experienced tang-ki trancing (channeling) the Underworld deity Di Ya Pek. 新加坡二爺伯降駕, 地府的執法者: 半神半鬼透過祂的乩童為媒介. 乩童像這樣子搖晃是由於二爺伯是地府神, 故通過地面而進入乩童的頭顱 . 在被穿上合適的衣服之後, 二爺伯首先向玉皇上帝, 然後再對主壇上其他的神明表示敬意.

YouTube video of Trancing Di Ya Pek in Singapore
https://www.youtube....h?v=EoP9-xZnqqg

[1] Hokkien: tâng-ki 童乩... I usually refer to these mediums in Mandarin as jītóng 乩童.

Edits: It wasn't embedding the way I expected it to, so I just gave up and linked it.

Edited by Xuanyue-玄月-, 08 June 2015 - 10:20 PM.

宇宙在乎手萬化生乎身

#2 Virochanasura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California, USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:49 AM

Thank you for posting this. It was very interesting. In Japan females are generally the mediums, they are called mikoto. There was once a video, a while ago, of a woman in Japan possessed by a kitsune, or fox spirit, who answered questions.

It is also interested they specifically mentioned the spirit enters from the floor thru the feet. Many lower astral entities usevthe magnetic sphere of the earth to move around and try to connect thru the feet. This is related to the spleen meridian which is on the feet, which is more closely related to earth energies.

#3 Qaexl

• Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationAZ, US

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostVirochanasura, on 09 June 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

It is also interested they specifically mentioned the spirit enters from the floor thru the feet. Many lower astral entities usevthe magnetic sphere of the earth to move around and try to connect thru the feet. This is related to the spleen meridian which is on the feet, which is more closely related to earth energies.

Kinda. The "earth qi" that moves from the earth through the feet into the body isn't the same as the 'earth' of the Wuxing. It is much closer to that of "jing", as in the Three Treasures. At higher levels of refinement, it's more like the movement of Shakti. Any one of the Wuxing will manifest in specific flavors of physical movement -- Spleen, Liver, etc.

Taoist Dao Yin is based upon movement of arising earth qi, ranging from spastic kriyas to movements of intelligent energy. I've had some fun with some "dragons" teaching me finer nuances of the dao yin movements.

The "lower" and "higher" thing is a misunderstanding. Earth qi is denser than cosmic qi. However, I've seen some pretty dark stuff at transcendent levels, so it's foolish to associate "higher vibrations" to mean "good".

-Qaexl

#4 Virochanasura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California, USA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:12 PM

I think there are several different things here.

The Ki of the elements in the macrocosm is the same as that which moves in us. Logically, this would have tk be since all things arise from it and we are part of all things. When you mention Shakti, again, all things are Shakti. She unfolds through 35 of the 36 tattwas, as they are called in Kashmir Shaivism. The forms She assumes are distinct but that is formality. The Elements themselves manifest on much later parts of this process of unfoldment.

Works on acupuncture I have such as The Web that Has no Weaver by Huk and Total Health the Cinese Way by Ting both will also claim that the ki in us is elemental.

Robert Bruce is one source which discusses how lower astral entities use the magnetic sphere of the earth to move. Others call this wildlife Scuttlers or various names. Perhaps it is not specifically related to the spleen meridian but it is interesting to note Agrippa claimed the spleen is used by darker entities as a gateway to the person. Maybe there's a connection.

You say the "higher and lower thing is a misunderstanding. " From the vantage point of transcendent consciousness, yes. But you don't live there. In this game it comes into play. You could move a psychotic drug addict into your home on the rational that he is no better or worse than anyone as an expression of the Divine but what he will create in your life will not bring peace and harmony nor help you on your path. You have to have discernment.

#5 Qaexl

• Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationAZ, US

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostVirochanasura, on 09 June 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

I think there are several different things here.

The Ki of the elements in the macrocosm is the same as that which moves in us. Logically, this would have tk be since all things arise from it and we are part of all things. When you mention Shakti, again, all things are Shakti. She unfolds through 35 of the 36 tattwas, as they are called in Kashmir Shaivism. The forms She assumes are distinct but that is formality. The Elements themselves manifest on much later parts of this process of unfoldment.

I'm not using logic. What I was describing is based on both what I know and personal experience.

The Wuxing isn't energy in what you are talking about. It's actually movements of the conditioned self, and it forms post-natally after the enmeshing of the spirit to the body. It really should never have been translated as "elements" because they are not elements at all. Phases, sure, movements, forms -- the "xing" in Wuxing means "form" and "motion" after all.

The tantric elements of earth, water, fire, and wind has a closer relationship to four of the trigrams of the bagua than they do with the Wuxing.

Works on acupuncture I have such as The Web that Has no Weaver by Huk and Total Health the Cinese Way by Ting both will also claim that the ki in us is elemental.

That's great that you're getting a theoretical basis for what you know, but it sounds confused since it doesn't seem that you have experiential practice to go with it.

Robert Bruce is one source which discusses how lower astral entities use the magnetic sphere of the earth to move. Others call this wildlife Scuttlers or various names. Perhaps it is not specifically related to the spleen meridian but it is interesting to note Agrippa claimed the spleen is used by darker entities as a gateway to the person. Maybe there's a connection.

The spleen and the stomach meridians are paired with this energy phase that is confusingly translated as "earth". It really should have been called "digestion", that is, the decomposition of energy entering into the body in order to integrate it within your being. This is reflected in the psychology of the conditioned self when you have to "eat crow", that is, eat the consequences of your actions. One of the distortions people have in their being is the avoidance of eating the consequences for their action. Sometimes, you just got to chew it and swallow it.

Robert Bruce deliberately tried not to read anything at all in order to form his opinions on things. So his books doesn't have a lot of preconceived notions. On the other hand, I don't think he has sufficient knowledge or experience of alchemy or dharma. I haven't read his books in a good long while, and maybe it's good to refresh it to see where he comes from.

However, in terms of what you are saying, I'm basing what I said on the results of practice and personal experience, not simply quotations from books. What about you?

You say the "higher and lower thing is a misunderstanding. " From the vantage point of transcendent consciousness, yes. But you don't live there. In this game it comes into play. You could move a psychotic drug addict into your home on the rational that he is no better or worse than anyone as an expression of the Divine but what he will create in your life will not bring peace and harmony nor help you on your path. You have to have discernment.

"yes. But you don't live there."

Are you kidding me?

You clearly don't understand what transcendent means. Even if you have deliberately shut your self off from the transcendent, you've never really been apart from it. That separation is an illusion. I "live in it" as much as you do. Now, whether or not you or I are aware or have awakened to this -- that is a different story.

As far as the "psychotic drug addict", on the "the rational that he is no better or worse than anyone as an expression of the Divine" that statement contains a lot of misunderstandings. The biggest misunderstanding is "rationale". The intellect is incapable of understanding or groking the Divine. If someone is acting from their true self, and they move a psychotic drug addict into his home, then that is the Divine play being played out. It isn't about being "better" or "worse" -- that's simply an imperfect way of expressing what your spirit already knows.

There are healing methods to work with a "psychotic drug addict", and it is incredibly rough, if not outright risky on the healers involved. However, it is not impossible. There are people who are wiling to volunteer for this, just as there are people who are willing to sit in the lower realms and heal crazy hungry ghosts. Sure, some might be guided into it by a sense of ego, but generally, these folks are quickly disabused of that. With such high-risk practices, the ego is a weakness that is the first to go. Generally though, these people are not in it to receive help for their path, they are in it to be of a service for others. When you say, "you have to have discernment" ... the world's a lot bigger than that.

-Qaexl

#6 Xuanyue-玄月-

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thank you for posting this. It was very interesting.
You're very welcome :)

In Japan females are generally the mediums, they are called mikoto. There was once a video, a while ago, of a woman in Japan possessed by a kitsune, or fox spirit, who answered questions.
That sounds like it would be an interesting video to watch. I have heard of kitsune being interrogated during exorcisms in cases of kitsune-tsuki 狐憑き, but I haven't seen it. Though, do you mean "miko" rather than "mikoto"? Most modern "miko" working in shrines are a far cry from the premodern miko who could act as spirit mediums. Most are more like part-timers. Of course, there are itako and other blind female shaman.

Interesting... but I would not group Di Ya Pek along with these "lower astral entities" you are referring to.

Based on what you are saying, am I to understand you are using a sort of vertical hierarchy in terms of what "energies" and "entities" are "good" or "bad" (or otherwise harmonious or destructive)? That is, entities from the underworld or deep in the Earth are lower and not desirable to interact with, versus higher entities from celestial realms/spheres? I'm just seeking clarification.

宇宙在乎手萬化生乎身

#7 Curious Cat

Dances With The Dead

• Owner
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:26 PM

Interesting video. I would be curious to hear if the medium made any type of prognostications. I also wonder what the consultations were like.

#8 Xuanyue-玄月-

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostCurious Cat, on 09 June 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Interesting video. I would be curious to hear if the medium made any type of prognostications. I also wonder what the consultations were like.
I'm not sure about prognostications or other consultations. It would have been interesting to see footage of the consultation. At least the creator retells at least part of his consultation with the medium. I imagine he has a lot more interesting footage from the event, but I guess that's part of his field research. There are a lot of videos on this sort of stuff floating around, maybe I can find one that films consultations with a tâng-ki / jītóng.

宇宙在乎手萬化生乎身

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users