3 replies to this topic

#1 One Love

One...Two...Three...

• Old Timers
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:55 AM

Hi everyone!

Just read a very interesting article on the power of returning to prehistoric darkness at night - and the resulting natural meditation hours which spontaneously occur in the middle of the night. I'm sure there are parts of the world without electricity where this still happens.

washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/19/want-to-experience-the-deep-mystical-sleep-of-our-ancestors-turn-your-lights-off-at-dusk/

Is anyone game to try it? Or maybe some of you already have?

Sweet dreams!
One Love.
Everything is Nothing and Nothing is All

#2 TheCusp

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

Can't find the article, but there was some google search data correlated with time of day that showed this is still happening even without the benefit of darkness.

I might as well try it. I seem to have fallen into a sleep pattern where I get up for a couple of hours every night starting around 3:30-4:00. It's not like I have anything better to do at that time, although I do find it the best time to get writing done.
“Come in close. Closer. Because the more you think you see, the easier it’ll be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking, but what you’re really doing is filtering, interpreting, searching for meaning. My job? To take that most precious of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you.” - Now You See Me

#3 jes

• Moderators
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:59 AM

I've seen something similar to this. I don't think it died out that long ago.

http://slumberwise.c...sleep-like-you/

I'd be willing to try it out
It doesn't matter what they say, in the jealous games people play - The Go-Gos

For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great.... you have no power over me.

#4 One Love

One...Two...Three...

• Old Timers
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for the link, Jes! That's a great article, and the comments below are really interesting too.

I advise a lot of people with various sleeping problems through my work, so it's great to verify that periods of wakefulness during the night are not necessarily signs of a sleep problem.

I know I've had some great meditation sessions on the odd occasion when I've woken in the quiet of the night and sat up for a spell. The external stillness - as well as the softness of the mind in that state - can be very conducive to meditation if one can muster a degree of concentration.
Everything is Nothing and Nothing is All

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users