* - - - - 1 votes

"necromancy" In The Pacific Northwest

Necromancy Black Magic Washington Oregon Seattle Olympia Portland Wretched

23 replies to this topic

#21 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

I have, but I don't remember a damn thing about it.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#22 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationMusic City

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:52 AM

I remember back in the day, if you were serious about Chaos Magic, it was wise to move to NYC, Milwaukee, or the Pacific NW. People set up esoteric shrines all around Puget Sound, expecting the return of the Old Ones, and there were magic sigils where normal cities would have vulgarities for graffiti. None of it ever achieved the haughty popularity that the occult found in 1970's Los Angeles, and many of the occultists were (as many still are) still on the lower end of the social totem pole, but it was common enough to be called a subculture. Did it accomplish anything magical?

These days, the whole Northwest is a social and political oddity. Chinese laundry is right next to a strip club and a grocery store in Portland. People in Seattle are thumbs-up for guns and gay marriage at the same time. Things that are contradictory in other places find a comfortable blend in the Northwest. The people here are appreciative of the environment, and are generally disdainful of those who cannot be bothered to think or be responsible for themselves. You can find young men playing cards for cash in the Federal Way strip malls, large crowds show up for "theater sports" events in seedy back-alleys of Seattle, runes engraved on monuments all over Poulsbo, and there is a genuine appreciation for books and reading as a consequence of the rainy seasons.

I have found a lot of people in the region are accepting of occult interests, and more than a few are well informed of it, but the percentage of people who are actually using the stuff is really no greater than elsewhere. The big difference is that you can have such an interest out here, and not be afraid that you will stick out like a sore thumb.
https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#23 grbree

• Old Timers
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Scranton......nope never been there buuuuut, kenosha would be it's twin from how you describe it rosered, personally i love it and if you can pick your way thru the larper's you can actually find people who know what their doing or you could just hang out in glenwood cemetery at night, "normal" people won't go near it unless being led.
He who can surpass death so will conquer life.

It is what it is.

#24 Tenebrae

• Old Timers
  • 446 posts
  • LocationI roam...

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

I haven't been to the Scranton area.

I grew up in Williamsport; I've been to Lockhaven, Eighty Four, and Pottsville.

Posted Image

Artwork by: http://kate.strolen.com

"What wondrously wicked webs we weave..." -Tenebrae

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users