- - - - -

Black Salt

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tenebrae

• Old Timers
  • 446 posts
  • LocationI roam...

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Recently, I've been looking into black salt for use within a verity of rituals. My interests were initially peaked when I discovered its culinary equivalents in the form of black lava salt, particularly the sea salt verity from Iceland that uses completely natural geothermal techniques in its creation. In comparison, the commonly practiced methods of creating black salt within the occult community seem downright primitive...but that's not exactly what I'm getting at.

While looking through all this information, and the traditional methods of creating salt, I've found myself wondering about a potential method of making a more advanced black salt through more traditional means and an unorthodox additive. Basically, purchasing the black lava salts and then dissolving them within a pot of boiling water, thus creating a super saturated solution that I would then pour into a container to evaporate...leaving behind the salt crystals once again.

As you all know, black salt uses various materials in order to provide that ebony coloration...activated charcoal being the coloring agent in Icelandic Lava Salt. However, I'm considering the charred remains of one of my human Calcaneus bones as an additional agent within this re-crystallization process.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that this has been done in the past, it seems far too simplistic an idea to have eluded so many throughout the ages... I'd imagine that this verity of black salt would be well suited for necromancy and black magick in general...but what do you all think, hmm?

Posted Image

Artwork by: http://kate.strolen.com

"What wondrously wicked webs we weave..." -Tenebrae

#2 wren

• Moderators
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

When I was a new mageling, I tried something similar. Coming from a pseudo-Alchemic perspective, I wanted to impregnate NaCl with the power of "magic." I saved up incense ashes, and the remains from petition papers, and mixed it into a paste with salt and water. Every once and a while I would light more incense and "intend" that the spirit of the incense would bind with the mixture and eventually find itself in the crystallizing salt on the sides of the vessel. It worked alright, but I had no idea what I should do with "magic" salt, so I ended up offering it to a watery spirit, I think. I might have just disposed of it in running water.

#3 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Dissolving the salt completely in water, then adding my 'other/s' to the mix is the procedure I use for making black salt, namely because ashes and powdered things.

Adding a human bone to the mix would add a nice quality, regardless of your intention with using black salt. I do not see it losing its protective quality by doijg so. From a certain perspective though - and assuming you havent already - I would buy the bone from its original owner before using it in the way you describe.

What else would you add? Please.. do tell.. I'll just be over here with my notebook handy. :)

#4 Tenebrae

• Old Timers
  • 446 posts
  • LocationI roam...

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

View Postwren, on 21 May 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

When I was a new mageling, I tried something similar. Coming from a pseudo-Alchemic perspective, I wanted to impregnate NaCl with the power of "magic." I saved up incense ashes, and the remains from petition papers, and mixed it into a paste with salt and water. Every once and a while I would light more incense and "intend" that the spirit of the incense would bind with the mixture and eventually find itself in the crystallizing salt on the sides of the vessel. It worked alright, but I had no idea what I should do with "magic" salt, so I ended up offering it to a watery spirit, I think. I might have just disposed of it in running water.

I've considered using it for the casting of a circle; that's what I want to use the regular Icelandic Black Lava Salt for...basically putting the mark I use down for ritual work.

View PostBrennan, on 21 May 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Dissolving the salt completely in water, then adding my 'other/s' to the mix is the procedure I use for making black salt, namely because ashes and powdered things.

Adding a human bone to the mix would add a nice quality, regardless of your intention with using black salt. I do not see it losing its protective quality by doijg so. From a certain perspective though - and assuming you havent already - I would buy the bone from its original owner before using it in the way you describe.

What else would you add? Please.. do tell.. I'll just be over here with my notebook handy. :)

Well,

If I were able to have ideal ingredients to add to the mix...

- Snake Venom
- Widow Venom
- Blue Ringed Octopus Venom or a Tentacle...since they can regrow them and it wouldn't be overly detrimental to the animal. They rip them off and throw them at predators, the tendrils stay alive and will even hunt for food for quite some time after being removed.

Obtaining these ingredients, however, are fairly unlikely. Milking Black Widows isn't an easy endeavor, milking snakes is even more risky, and...well, getting the venom of a Blue Ringed Octopus might not even be possible. Procuring a tentacle could be done, but I rather do so from a living animal and ensure that it remained that way after.

Posted Image

#5 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

For black salt, I use the stuff Appalachian Crone makes just the way her granny taught her. It does the trick just fine.

Of course, the more you personally invest in perfecting your own formula for your own needs, the more effective it is likely to be, which is good enough a reason to experiment.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#6 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

Would it have to be a live snake?

It may sound gruesome, but if you find a dead snake and have a proper understanding of anatomy you could possibly extract the venom glands.

#7 Tenebrae

• Old Timers
  • 446 posts
  • LocationI roam...

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

View PostCaliban, on 22 May 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

For black salt, I use the stuff Appalachian Crone makes just the way her granny taught her. It does the trick just fine.

Of course, the more you personally invest in perfecting your own formula for your own needs, the more effective it is likely to be, which is good enough a reason to experiment.

Aye, people have said even dying table salt black works... I'm all about the theatrics though, the more elaborate, intricate, and complex...the more powerful I feel that the item shall be. If it's not because of the actual ingredients...it's because of the psychological impact it has upon the practitioner. The knowledge that you're working with something dark, taboo, etc.

View PostBrennan, on 22 May 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

Would it have to be a live snake?

It may sound gruesome, but if you find a dead snake and have a proper understanding of anatomy you could possibly extract the venom glands.

Actually, no...

I'm sure a dead serpent would do just fine. I hadn't thought of that because I adore snakes and wouldn't want to kill one...but I do come across them on the road back at my parents place, so it's entirely possible.

Posted Image

#8 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, a while ago I had wanted some snake fangs for something or other and that's how I got them. Though, I don't think this method wouls be incredibly useful for acquiring the other two items you would prefer. :s

#9 Tenebrae

• Old Timers
  • 446 posts
  • LocationI roam...

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

View PostBrennan, on 22 May 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

Yeah, a while ago I had wanted some snake fangs for something or other and that's how I got them. Though, I don't think this method wouls be incredibly useful for acquiring the other two items you would prefer. :s

Indeed, it's a shame that you normally find their heads crushed... I think the most difficult item to obtain would be the venom from the Blue Ringed Octopus, a Black Widow would be difficult...but not impossible. I believe that they use pipettes for harvesting spider venom of that size...

Posted Image

#10 Brennan

Initiate

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

Oh, the one I had found was beautiful. Its head was intact but you could see where it had been ran over.. I was really sad that something so big and old died in such a crude way. I imagine an epic battle with an owl or hawk would be a better way to go. In that particular fantasy, it would (of course) take its assailant down with it. Ah well.

Edited by Brennan, 22 May 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#11 sen

laughing god

• Moderators
  • 1,460 posts
  • Locationthe middlemarches

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

There's something very striking about using a mix of black salt and ash for the purpose of laying boundaries. Mixing black salt with graveyard dirt feels as though it would be useful for banishing. Finally: I think there's something interesting about he idea of using black and white salt to create a greyscale mandala in the spirit of Buddhist monks who create ones out of coloured sand.

i love being god; it's my favourite hobby

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users