- - - - -

Wild (Wake Induced Lucid Dreams)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Benubi

• Old Timers
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Concerning lucid dreaming the WILD technique (Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming) involves getting deeply relaxed before letting yourself enter a hypnagogic state while maintaining lucidity, or at least trying to. If you've ever taken a rest, started to daydream and found it became really vivid and dynamic, i.e. hypnagogic, yet you remained aware of yourself daydreaming and your conscious interaction with the daydream content, that is pretty much the equivalent of WILD. Similarly, if you've used deep relaxation and visualisation to set yourself on astral journeys that ended up intensely vivid and spontaneous that is again reminiscent of WILD.

There is a personal yet well rounded description of it here.

Anyone else tried this method? If not, would you like to start?

Somone in the chat suggested I try WILD. Been trying it on and off for many weeks now and found it works where other methods never did for me.

Edited by Benubi, 27 August 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#2 Nalyd Khezr Bey

AONOA

• Ex-mods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

What you are describing is also akin to Austin Spare's "death posture" technique which is often misunderstood, at least its focus seems to be misunderstood. The most important aspect of it for anything to do with magical work is the deep relaxation, the "death posture", part of it which can also be described as a sort of hypnagogic state. So from that perspective I am personally aware of using this technique.

#3 TheCusp

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I've never had much success with WILDing. I can never fall asleep. Also, there is a HUGE array bizarre and interesting experiences between waking and sleep. So much that it can be distracting from your goal of getting lucid.

Honestly, nothing beats mindfulness in your everyday activities for getting lucid. Most other methods (like reality checks) involve making changes to your programming. Mindfulness helps you escape the restrictions of that programming, which is lucidity.

In my experience, meditating before bed is the best way to WILD. That was the only way I was able to explore the pre-sleep stages and hypnogogics. Meditating before bed really helped my keep awareness throughout the entire falling asleep process. A word of advice, if you're hoping you remember anything from the pre dream stages, you have to rouse yourself to write it down. They are really hard to hold onto mentally for any length of time without recording them.

Also, I think of the acquisition of a dream body to be the threshold event which separates hypnogogics and a full fledged dream. You'll no doubt start feeling phantom dream limbs in addition to your real ones, and can speed up the "separation" process with classical OBE or astral methods.

Edited by TheCusp, 27 August 2013 - 01:26 PM.

“Come in close. Closer. Because the more you think you see, the easier it’ll be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking, but what you’re really doing is filtering, interpreting, searching for meaning. My job? To take that most precious of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you.” - Now You See Me

#4 Benubi

• Old Timers
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

Interesting. Yes, there are a huge bizarre array of interesting experiences between waking and sleep! Its definitely distracting when trying to stay lucid as you pass through them. Also having to wake up and write, speak the dream experience before falling asleep again is a pain. Since my first couple fo attempts I've mostly used WILD when taking a nap because I'm meant to get up afterwards, not go on to sleep normally.

So far when it seems to work best I get to what feels like a steady and incredibly immersive daydream. I pass some sort of threshold and its like, whoosh, I'm there and the dreamsphere is stable. I can look around, move around, interact, etc. What happens unfolds dynamically as I witness it but is also malleable if I want to mess with it. Occasionally stuff messes with me back.

TheCusp I haven't felt phantom limbs so much. Interested to see what might happen with that.

#5 Curious Cat

Nanwu

• Owner
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I like the WILD technique, but I found it was easier to accomplish using galantamine. I wrote a post on it a while back here.

#6 SuccubusSherry

Enthusiastic Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

I was reading my 1979 dream journal yesterday and there are about ten examples of this in it so I am qualified to comment.
Usually as you fall asleep there is a moment of unconsciousness. I've never been able to stop the moment of unconsciousness, though this may vary from one dreamer to another. However it is possible for the technique to work even so- if you try to watch the hypnagogic images in a detached way for a while it can jump to the unconsciousness and then to the next stage of being in the dream.

There can also be the same moment of unconsciousness while waking, and if that is missing it can tell you that it was a false awakening and you are still really asleep. This applies whether or not all those other feelings like shaking and paralysis occur as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users