- - - - -

Finding Your Anima/animus

16 replies to this topic

#1 Jack-o-diamonds

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNowheresville

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

no matter what your opinion is of what the anima/animus is, be it strictly Jung's theory of it being an archetype, or of it being an actual entity in another 'dream realm' that is linked to your soul, there is no question that finding your anima/animus is a profoundly emotional experience.

this is a subject that i have been doing quite a bit of research on for awhile now, due to having found my own animus.

over the years, i have gathered as much information as possible from many different people who had found their anima/animus, and seen quite an astounding number of similarities.

many of these similarities include:

-a strong emotional response to an 'energy' put off by this dream person, often resulting in the immediate waking of the dreamer

-this dream person is 'not like the others' and is unable to be controlled by the dreamer

-the anima/animus will 'interrupt' dreams in a way unrelated to the events happening within the dream

-many reports of the anima/animus being able to 'force' the dreamer awake, or to 'pull' them back into sleep

-after appearing once or twice, catching the dreamers interest, the anima/animus will not show again until the dreamer becomes lucid enough to look for them

-the anima/animus is entirely different from a dream guide in the ways of: they do not go entirely out of their way to teach you things, and sometimes they are surprised upon meeting you (meaning they were not expecting your arrival or existence).

those are just a few of the similarities i've noted, along with the ways to meet or find your anima/animus again.

i made this thread for any who might have questions about this, or if any of you have had experiences with theirs.

remember: it is easy to mistake a dream character that had a strong emotional effect on you with your anima/animus, but it is impossible to mistake your anima/animus with just a regular dream character. basically you know when you've found them.

#2 SuccubusSherry

Enthusiastic Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I started a game for finding your animus or anima here http://occultcorpus....e-opposite-sex/

but it wasn't very popular, (probably too personal. for many people?) It's based on a real TV show and a real exercise I did after watching the show.

Edited by SuccubusSherry, 18 May 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#3 Jack-o-diamonds

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNowheresville

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

that's very interesting, Sherry, thank you, i'll check it out.

#4 VIRAL

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

@Jack-o-Diamonds: You and I have been reading out of veeerrryyy different books...

#5 Jack-o-diamonds

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNowheresville

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

apart from Jung's opinion, i have not been reading books about this, it has been nearly fully personal experiences by lucid dreamers and myself.

though, if you wish to contribute to the conversation, i'd be very interested in hearing about the books you have been reading and what your opinion is.

Edited by Jack-o-diamonds, 18 May 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#6 TheCusp

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostJack-o-diamonds, on 18 May 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

many of these similarities include:

-a strong emotional response to an 'energy' put off by this dream person, often resulting in the immediate waking of the dreamer

Strong emotions have a powerful effect on your dreams. That's my third rule of dream control. A sudden emotional outburst will drastically change the dream, which can easily destabilize it. If those are lucid dreams they are waking from, do not take the word of anyone who hasn't mastered the basics of dream stabilization.

-this dream person is 'not like the others' and is unable to be controlled by the dreamer

Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams. The more attention you give something, the more powerful/real it becomes. Most likely these are random dream characters that just happened to capture an inordinate amount of attention.

I think the inability to control these characters lies in the skill of the dreamer, not in the reality of the entity. If you think something is special, it gets more attention, making it more powerful, more difficult to control. Try ignoring this animus instead, removing some or all of that attention you are powering it with.

-the anima/animus will 'interrupt' dreams in a way unrelated to the events happening within the dream

Ok, that one could be a sign. But not so much interrupting the dream as hijacking your attention. If something in a dream is not you, it will be interacting directly with your attention, since that's the only thing that's real.

-many reports of the anima/animus being able to 'force' the dreamer awake, or to 'pull' them back into sleep

That could be something as well. It's a skillful maneuver, I could certainly do both. Then again, it may just be lack of knowledge on dream stabilization.

-after appearing once or twice, catching the dreamers interest, the anima/animus will not show again until the dreamer becomes lucid enough to look for them

That screams regular dream to me. "Catching the dreamers interest" is how attention wanders in a dream, latching onto one point of interest, then moving on to the next point of novelty. If you go looking for anything in a dream, you're going to find it eventually, so being able to find this so called animus again is not really that big a deal.

-the anima/animus is entirely different from a dream guide in the ways of: they do not go entirely out of their way to teach you things, and sometimes they are surprised upon meeting you (meaning they were not expecting your arrival or existence).

Phooey to both of those things, animus and guide. They are the chain letters of the occult world. The only exist because people keep passing around the idea like mental herpes.
“Come in close. Closer. Because the more you think you see, the easier it’ll be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking, but what you’re really doing is filtering, interpreting, searching for meaning. My job? To take that most precious of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you.” - Now You See Me

#7 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

I dunno bout that TheCusp. I think you might be applying a bit too much of your own experiences to those of others. Of course they only exist because people keep passing around the idea. Name one goddamn thing in dreams that doesn't manifest in a form that got passed around some wise ;) (OK, name one that doesn't leave you looking over your shoulder with the cold sweats for days, I'm not counting the Things That Should Not Be).

IMHO, dreaming is so uncompromisingly personal that we can't even talk about it without reducing things to an archetypal level, and even those only apply so long as the other person uses/contains the archetype, youknowwhutimsayin? I'm pretty sure if I tried to explain 'guide' to a mantis shrimp, it would only stare at me blankly. Similarly, anima/animus isn't in my framework, I don't get that on a fundamental level. That doesn't mean it isn't out there, if that makes sense, just that it won't load in my floppy drive because its the wrong format.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#8 TheCusp

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postvoidgazing, on 19 May 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Name one goddamn thing in dreams that doesn't manifest in a form that got passed around some wise ;)

OK, the Blanket Thief. It exists in dreams not as a meme, but through the common circumstances in which it was formed. The Blanket thief is something under my bed that pulls on my blankets as I'm trying to sleep.

In the spring and fall when the temperature is changing a lot, I go to sleep with lots of blankets, but wake up hot in the night and cast some off. Then I wake up again later cold, reach over the side of my bed, and retrieve those cast off blankets. As I pull the blankets up, I get a bit of resistance from the side of me bed. Because that blanket pulling/resistance was the last thing I was focused on as I fall asleep, that causes a dream in which something is pulling on my blankets, and I pull back in a tug of war.

Now of all the people in all the world, some of them are going to try to pull some blankets back up because they are cold in the middle of the night. Because they have the exact same focal point for their attention, they have the exact same dream as I did!

Same goes for the hell realms. Descriptions of hell realms are similar not because they are a real place, but because the people having those dreams have their attention fixated in the same spot.

Edited by TheCusp, 19 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

“Come in close. Closer. Because the more you think you see, the easier it’ll be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking, but what you’re really doing is filtering, interpreting, searching for meaning. My job? To take that most precious of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you.” - Now You See Me

#9 Jack-o-diamonds

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNowheresville

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostTheCusp, on 18 May 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Strong emotions have a powerful effect on your dreams. That's my third rule of dream control. A sudden emotional outburst will drastically change the dream, which can easily destabilize it. If those are lucid dreams they are waking from, do not take the word of anyone who hasn't mastered the basics of dream stabilization.

Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams. The more attention you give something, the more powerful/real it becomes. Most likely these are random dream characters that just happened to capture an inordinate amount of attention.

I think the inability to control these characters lies in the skill of the dreamer, not in the reality of the entity. If you think something is special, it gets more attention, making it more powerful, more difficult to control. Try ignoring this animus instead, removing some or all of that attention you are powering it with.

Ok, that one could be a sign. But not so much interrupting the dream as hijacking your attention. If something in a dream is not you, it will be interacting directly with your attention, since that's the only thing that's real.

That could be something as well. It's a skillful maneuver, I could certainly do both. Then again, it may just be lack of knowledge on dream stabilization.

That screams regular dream to me. "Catching the dreamers interest" is how attention wanders in a dream, latching onto one point of interest, then moving on to the next point of novelty. If you go looking for anything in a dream, you're going to find it eventually, so being able to find this so called animus again is not really that big a deal.

Phooey to both of those things, animus and guide. They are the chain letters of the occult world. The only exist because people keep passing around the idea like mental herpes.

TheCusp, i respect your opinion and i value another way of looking at this, but i feel like you are prejudging something you have no experience with without even so much as an open mind to take in the topic of this thread, which is asking people if they have had any experiences with this, or any questions regarding it.

also, everything you had just argued against does not null the point of the anima and animus.

please keep in mind that, while your opinion is valuable, it isn't guaranteed to be the only truth.

Edited by Jack-o-diamonds, 19 May 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#10 TheCusp

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

You're right, I'm totally prejudging them. To me, they are unnecessary, and that's only my reality. You're also right that my arguments don't nullify anything. Everything requires your attention to exist, so if you fan focus on it, it's real to you and there's no arguing that. Also I have people point out my opinion isn't the only one all the time, so I'm well aware of that.

Really I just want to point out that if someone is so inclined to use a guide or animus, you needn't be so strict on what it's supposed to be or what it's supposed to do. You can create another class of servitor. Merge your guide and animus into one. Making distinctions between guides and animus seems to me like Darwin differentiating different species of finches. You can loosen and stretch the boundaries of anything.

Edited by TheCusp, 20 May 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#11 ChaosTech

All Religions' Wheel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • LocationThe end of Time

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Posted Image

Animus - What Women have as their Essence (Spirit).
Light all around (softness), and dark (hardness) within, meaning the beginning of time, where light is contracting or creating space (separation), to create the Cosmos. This separting the light into many things continues until there is no light left only darkness at which the female flips into the male. Just like all men come from their mothers wombs.

Posted Image

Anima - What Men have as their Essence (Spirit).
Darkness all around (hardness) and light (softness) within, meaning end of time, where light is expanding from reaching it's limits in the void, and going back from the ultimate female force to meet the void (male), to expand (into space thus space all around), until all space is filled and light is made whole again or the male meets the ultimate female (infinity).

Granted you can flip male and female attributes, but this fits best in my examination of most females and female energy verses males. Women are creators, men are destroyers, women the beginning, men the end. Both transcend each other though before, during, and after time and creation exists.
Posted Image

For nearly 20 years I meditated on and studied that which has no name, but is absolute, infinite, beyond both small and large. Finally one day I realized the limits of my sentient consciousness. It has all power over whether we are it or dual. There is no choice of the nondual, for choice is dual. Just be, live, do what you will, with love and wisdom. As Hermes said, in a time yet unborn, all shall be one, and one shall be all. True enlightenment has nothing to do with attainment. It's an inner peace, that there is nothing to be done, I call it surrender to the Spirit.

#12 ChaosTech

All Religions' Wheel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Of course these are examples of the extreme woman and extreme man. Most of us lie somewhere inbetween yin and yang. Having male bodies with female souls, or vice versa to some degree. The crosses meet in the middle, the pures stay at the extremes. Then their are the trannies who meet the opposite spectrum and change from woman to man or man to woman, more or less depending on how extreme.
Posted Image

For nearly 20 years I meditated on and studied that which has no name, but is absolute, infinite, beyond both small and large. Finally one day I realized the limits of my sentient consciousness. It has all power over whether we are it or dual. There is no choice of the nondual, for choice is dual. Just be, live, do what you will, with love and wisdom. As Hermes said, in a time yet unborn, all shall be one, and one shall be all. True enlightenment has nothing to do with attainment. It's an inner peace, that there is nothing to be done, I call it surrender to the Spirit.

#13 ChaosTech

All Religions' Wheel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Oh and don't forget the gays. They are the force that is attracted to likeness, instead of opposites.
Posted Image

#14 Jack-o-diamonds

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNowheresville

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

thank you ChaosTech and TheCusp, you have given me quite a bit to think about. i very much enjoyed that chart, also.

#15 ippon-datara

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

View PostChaosTech, on 21 May 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Of course these are examples of the extreme woman and extreme man. Most of us lie somewhere inbetween yin and yang. Having male bodies with female souls, or vice versa to some degree. The crosses meet in the middle, the pures stay at the extremes. Then their are the trannies who meet the opposite spectrum and change from woman to man or man to woman, more or less depending on how extreme.

I'd like to kindly ask you not to use the term "trannies". It is a hurtful slur and unnecessary to use in discussions. Transsexual or transgender are much better terms, and are much more descriptive.

In addition to that, not all transsexuals and transgender people fall under the same archetypal or even gendered categories. Speaking of them in this instance does not contribute since, I am assuming, you are not trans and therefore have no idea what the inner world of a trans person would be like. The dreamworlds of trans people have yet to be documented in depth, just as is the case with most people's dreamworlds. Homosexual individuals fall under this problem as well, since Jungians have been exceptionally eager to classify their attraction as "Gemini" or a form of anima/animus perversion.

Gender also originates from other places -- most of which are biological and do not even present themselves in the psyche. Neurology is innate, while the psyche often may shift with the winds.

Do what thou wilt, of course, but others reading should note that transgender and homosexual psyches are just as variable as the "normative" cisgender/heterosexual psyche.

Edited by ippon-datara, 06 March 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#16 Mugami

• Old Timers
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, Pa, USA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

Really? That's a little overly sensitive/entitled.
I've never heard "tranny" used with the same venom as "queer" or" fag" or "homo".
Hell, I'd even say the term is colloquially erotic beside other common terms like "shemale" or "ladyboy".

I think Sarina Valentina, Bailey Jay, Vaniity, and Mia Isabella when I hear "Tranny".

"Ladyboy" is more like Mint.
"Shemale" is more like Mariana Cordoba putting a hurtin on some dude.

And "tranny" in the above post was not ill-intended. It was a blanket term.

Personally, when people say I'd 'make a great tranny' or I should drag, I don't take offense. I find it flattering, in an odd way. I know some shit can be very difficult to deal with the day-to-day. Shit just wears on you. But being overly sensative, allowing a word to hurt you, just makes things worse.

I am in the "Full Support" camp for trans/gay/bi-culture, but not on this. It just makes the line between Us& Them bigger.

Along The Path of our lives we may believe we have choices. It is only at the end of The Path, looking back, may we then realize, that of our choices, we had none. And know then, that Everything was Fate.

:ninja: :huh: 地火風水死無気道 :squee: :ninja:

#17 Mugami

• Old Timers
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, Pa, USA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

As to the OP:

I think it is a lack of Lucid control, as stated above.

Further, it reasons that the only possible truth of any of this would imply AP not simply lucid dreaming.
The dreamscape and the astral are essential the same; if you never leave the near and venture into the far.

What you state appears to just be a paradigm.
Keep to the grindstone though, you may find other aspects that are universally useful.
Continue to elaborate and delve the matter. I suggest a journal.
Perhaps a red one. Lol.

Along The Path of our lives we may believe we have choices. It is only at the end of The Path, looking back, may we then realize, that of our choices, we had none. And know then, that Everything was Fate.

:ninja: :huh: 地火風水死無気道 :squee: :ninja:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users