If you don't know, here are some things to catch you up:
- The Black Hills are considered sacred by these tribes. It is their genesis site, the setting of important myths, and many rituals are performed there.
- By treaty, the land was granted to the tribes as a concession in the war between Sioux leaders such as Red Cloud, Crazy Horse, and Sitting Bull and the U.S. government.
- Not surprisingly, the government illegally changed its mind when gold was found in the Black Hills, and they now no longer belong to the Sioux tribes.
- Recently, the Supreme Court offered the Lakota people a very large settlement to compensate for their taking of the Black Hills, which the Lakota refused. They feel strongly that the land is not for sale.
- Now about 2000 acres of it is for sale, because the Reynolds family (private owners) is auctioning it off on August 25th.
- The Rosebud Reservation has pledged $50,000 to purchasing the land, but the tribes are trying to raise as much as they can to win the auction.
- Otherwise, the state of South Dakota has publicly stated their intention to develop the land, which includes building a road.
Please donate what you can on this page, and spread the word however you can.
To learn more about life on the Pine Ridge Reservation, watch this video:
I did my homework and verified that the auction is indeed happening, etc. I have never felt this strongly about raising funds, and man I have raised some funds! You will be so sexy to me if you give! Unless you'd rather not be, in which case I will be so platonically grateful!
Edited by Rose, 18 August 2012 - 04:01 AM.