* * * * * 2 votes

Liber Sigillum - Upcoming Book

109 replies to this topic

#1 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

This is a little project myself & colleagues have been working on, a volume that covers most of what some here would call "the basics", alongside some relatively new things, Egregore material, techniques and other "tales of interest". No due date yet. Not sure on the exact means of publishing yet (we've used Lulu in the past), but in the spirit of creating a few "living grimoirs" a more or less rustic approach may be attempted. Updates may be posted here in the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Btw, Cyndi, if you happen to see this - my FB and most the internet hasn't been working properly due to some major computer issues which I'm trying to fix. I'm still not sure about making it down to TN, it depends on if I can coax a ride out of someone. Just wanted to let you know. And CONGRATS! Take care, both.

#3 Guest_NemferBlakchheart_*

• Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

For publishing, you can go through Waning Moon Publications. They've been used by many major occult publishers and they offer a variety of materials and options to make a truly magical book. You should strive to get this book published, the public, myself included, would really enjoy this one. Good luck in your endeavors!

#4 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks, we'll definately be checking them out.

#5 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Liber Sigillum Original Artwork Gallery (Current)

Neverendi:

Posted Image

Untitled

Posted Image

Artwork for "The Mountain" short story

Frater E.S.:

Posted Image

Initiate in Gnosis

Posted Image

Servitor

Posted Image

Tree of Knowledge

Posted Image

The Empty Shaman

Posted Image

Automata

Posted Image

Abyssissimus

Posted Image

Charting the Red King

#6 Aspices

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

Interesting, though I am curious how those various sigils came to be, I only recognized the linking sigil.

#7 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

Which other ones? If you point them out I'll be glad to give an explanation as best I can.

#8 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

Wonderful!

This reminds me very strongly of the sort of stuff that used to be circulated within TOPY, among active participants. Excellent work.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#9 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:09 AM

Good to hear from you Caliban. We are nothing if not good media magicians ala the Alan Moore definition.
Though I fear my stay in the community is coming to a close, this won't be released without every final tweak.

Also, that Waning Moon publishing looks like an almost perfect match. I really have to thank you for that. We were worried about expenses in hand-binding them ourselves, and it seems like they charge nothing 'if' they like it. I can't imagine how this wouldn't be right up their alley.

Although we did have plans with selling human ribs & spider pendants suspended in lucite for the special editions. We'll see how it goes.
No better way for retirement to go than trading human remains.

I'll miss this.

#10 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

An electronic producer/editor friend of ours used this track to describe the volume:

#11 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Neato! I will probably purchase this book whether I have an actual magical use for it or not, cause it's pretty.

One of your pictures- a preliminary calling to 663- of the pages above sparked an idea. How practical do you suppose it would be to print your main content in black and then a sort of second book palimpsest style ala the blue in the background of that one? I'm just thinking of the possibilities here: you could use the palimpsest text/pictures as evocatory, 'mood setting' instruments backing up the main text, or put Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring stuff back there- some other text writ in runes of some kind for the reader to decipher, quite strengthening the idea of 'hidden meaning' in the text.

Hell, you could just put in some backwards heavy metal lyrics ;-)
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#12 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

This,

or put Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring stuff back there- some other text writ in runes of some kind for the reader to decipher, quite strengthening the idea of 'hidden meaning' in the text.

Was actually the original idea, using a language we also call 'sigillum'. Odd that you picked up on it!

#13 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

This,

How practical do you suppose it would be to print your main content in black and then a sort of second book palimpsest style ala the blue in the background of that one?

I'm not sure of. It might be a struggle just to convince the publisher (if they pick this up) to use stained paper.

#14 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Indeed it might. Putting weird paper in a printing press is a pain in the rear! You might consider a post-printing staining process though.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#15 Frater Alysyrose

• Old Timers
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:54 AM

Coming down to editing & finishing time fairly quickly. Here are some quotes we posted on the dkmu FB:

"A sort of childish play is sometimes required in order to unlock the door desired."
- Liber Sigillum

"A raven and a group of occultists walk into a bar. The Chaote asks, “My paradigm is built around the ideal of spontaneous freedom and the function of belief as a tool, but that paradigm itself is a constricting belief. What should I do to reconcile this?”

The raven responds, “Nevermore.”

The Thelemite asks, “My paradigm is built around the teachings of Aleister Crowley, and his assigned messenger, Aiwass; the example he set, and the wise religion he had left behind. His message was that all should become their own leaders, and not to align themselves with any means of authoritative dogma, how might I reconcile this?”

The Enochian Ceremonialist asks, “My paradigm is built around the discoveries and revelations of John Dee and Edward Kelly, and the heavenly spheres they had uncovered. Angels guide my way, and sometimes demons grant me with favors. If I am to continue with this, shall I remain free in mind and thought given the assumption of the Judeo-Christian mythology which is inherent to my practice? Is there something more out there beyond this?”

The Empty Shaman walks in and buys the raven a drink, “busy night?” The raven is silent. “You see, my paradigm is built around the felt presence of immediate experience, nothing more, and nothing less. Hey, I got one for you: why is a raven like a writing desk?”

The raven responds, “Because like all paradigms, they will keep repeating the same thing until they actually pick up the pen.”

- Liber Sigillum

"Unlike an external sample of matter which may be probed and examined within a laboratory setting, consciousness itself is a tremendously personal phenomenon and ultimately confined to ones own individual experience – that is, unless many individuals perform the same operations and arrive at the same objective results for themselves; by reviewing such bodies of data, we then have something concrete and viable to work with outside of mere oral tradition, written word or hearsay. Then why isn’t it done more seriously and more frequently? Why, didn’t you hear? To be a psychonaut today, much like a cannibal, is strictly taboo – if it doesn’t involve the agreement of all of us, it might as well involve none of us."
- Liber Sigillum

"For the A.A.O., a substitute for Neither-Neither entails what we have come to call the Birth Posture, being a false yet wholly believed sense of the complete fulfillment of a desire, effectively fooling the conscious mind into accepting that there is nothing left for it to do, and so, it begins to turn its focus towards other non-related problems. Just as Spare’s Death Posture is used to manifest a faux-death experience as a Gnostic pathway, the Birth Posture is a faux-knowing that a particular desire has already and successfully come to pass, thus allowing the mind to bypass its previous importance and hold on the practitioner whilst the internalized sigil remains undisturbed and allowed to do its subconscious work. It is naught but another means to achieve the necessary state of non-attachment required. As might be obvious, this practice of suppressing a desire may seem excruciatingly counter-intuitive, for we are raised to believe that energy flows where attention goes, which is true to an extent, though in the case of successful sigilization, the lightning rod for such energy is that which had previously been subconsciously internalized, and at that point is needless of, and may only be hindered by the ego-driven, fidgeting, obsessive and relentlessly revisionist nature of the conscious mind."
- Liber Sigillum

Editing Sigillum while playing a drinking game. Every time the word "strange", "bizarre", "sacrament" or the phrase "in other words", "in this sense", "altered state" or "that is to say" comes up, we take a shot.

^Not an actual quote from the book, but you get the idea.

Edited by Frater Alysyrose, 10 June 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#16 z0b

• Old Timers
  • 976 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

Great aart work I would be interested in this for that alone .

#17 mrblack

• Old Timers
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

The artwork remings me of Vertigo "Book of Magick" series.....

#18 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

It reminds me strongly of White Wolf's original Mage: the somethinging core book, in a good way.

#19 The Cheshire

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

lol. It kind of does. I miss the old Mage.

#20 Azoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

How might one acquire a copy of this book, once published?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users