105 replies to this topic

#41 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Landra said:

Thank you Mr. Black. The more of us shut down, the more people will notice. So far it looks like people are definitely taking notice; looking at some the news today.

http://www.chicagotr...0,5620526.story

Very well said Caliban.

The way copyright law works, if it comes out of your head you automatically own it, so unfortunately there's no game to be played on that end.

May you find what you seek,
Alice

Solipsism is the belief nothing else but the self exists, and everything else is the the projection of the mind. In short you all came out of my head, including the corporations, thus I have a copy right on all of you.

Like Iago said, I may be crazy, but I do have my moments of lucidly.

In all seriousness, the surest way to protest is to shut down the internet. Can't regulate the internet if there isn't one to begin with.
If the government doesn't want nice things, then we shouldn't allow them to have it to begin with.

One way to do this is go back to snail mail and boycott your ISP and any media outlets (including your TV).

Is there other ways? Yes, but I'm ignorant in such matters and I doubt I have the legal qualifications to give advice concerning the issue.

As for the means of punishing the media corporations whom this law gives advantage to?
I was not making up the idea about hoaxing been used in the past to discredit these outlets. All is needed is people to write a press release, make up a BS story, send it in to the nearest news outlet and watch the sparks fly. At the very least, it will increase their work load as they try to sort out the mess and make their lives more difficult, as this law will make other people lives more difficult, thus cost them more money. Its the equivalent of paying a thousand dollar tax bill with nothing but pennies to protest a tax increase. At the very most, it can kill their livelihood. The best thing yet? It is something we all can do and it won't cost us a dime to do.

Edited by Spraypaint, 19 January 2012 - 03:19 AM.

No longer posting

Pray and Know that the world is Good. Do penitential rites and cleansings. Make yourself pure and humble. After that, then most of your dross will be swept away by Divine Joy.
wren

#42 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

If it passes and you wish to protest, just put copyrighted material in the comment sections of all those in favor of the thing... then report it to whoever owns the copyright.

As it's worded now, even slight infringements can result in trouble... for instance, buy a copyrighted bumper sticker, put it on your car, now take a picture of you standing next to your car & put it online. You have just broken the reproduction aspect of the copyright law.

#43 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Qryztufre said:

If it passes and you wish to protest, just put copyrighted material in the comment sections of all those in favor of the thing... then report it to whoever owns the copyright.

As it's worded now, even slight infringements can result in trouble... for instance, buy a copyrighted bumper sticker, put it on your car, now take a picture of you standing next to your car & put it online. You have just broken the reproduction aspect of the copyright law.

Most excellent idea!

The best way to do this is post on the web pages of the politicians who passed this bill and report the violations. It would be most ironic. Especially if the copyright was held by one of the corporations who lobbied to get this passed :rolleyes:.

As for SOPA, it seems many have removed their support as a result of the protest blackout.

I'd post it here but I don't want to risk trouble.

So just look up the words Rubio, PIPA and SOPA.

However, Rubio and others still wish to enact some sort of legislation that works with the same intent as SOPA does.
This means the battle for now has been won, but the war has not been won.

The sign of the war being won would result a reversal from the US politicians working against those who were lobbying for this law and become very outspoken against any more nonsense of this type. That hasn't happen, but that should be the goal.
No longer posting

Pray and Know that the world is Good. Do penitential rites and cleansings. Make yourself pure and humble. After that, then most of your dross will be swept away by Divine Joy.
wren

#44 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Qryztufre said:

This is quite ingenuitive. Since the act aims to bring down communities that do not host the contraband themselves but simply allow others to post it, doing something like this would almost definitely get the people who support this shitty new (potential) law in trouble with it.

SCIENTIAM SAPIENTIS, SAPIENTIAM PVER

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

The gods, they are but masks. Who is wearing them?

#45 A Rogue Spirit

Hedge Witch & Phytotherapist

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

You can all actually do something about it too if you choose. Here is a couple petitions and a list of all 100 Senator's phone numbers. They are asking that you call every morning and if possible show up in front of their office. lol

Googles petition- http://www.google.com/takeaction/
Another petition- http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

http://sopastrike.com/
http://www.cbsnews.c...rnet-on-strike/

Funny Anti-sopa/pipa video by the founder of I Can Haz Cheezeburger?

AK, Lisa Murkowski, 907-456-0233
AL, Jefferson Sessions, 334-244-7017
AL, Richard Shelby, 205-759-5047
AR, Mark Pryor, 501-324-6336
AZ, Jon Kyl, 602-840-1891
AZ, John McCain, 602-952-2410
CA, Barbara Boxer, 510-286-8537
CA, Dianne Feinstein, 415-393-0707
CO, Michael Bennet, 303-455-7600
CT, Richard Blumenthal, 860-258-6940
CT, Joseph Lieberman, 860-549-8463
DE, Thomas Carper, 302-573-6291
DE, Chris Coons, 302-573-6345
FL, Bill Nelson, 407-872-7161
GA, C. Saxby Chambliss, 770-763-9090
GA, John Isakson, 770-661-0999
HI, Daniel Akaka, 808-522-8970
HI, Daniel Inouye, 808-541-2542
IA, Charles Grassley, 515-288-1145
IA, Thomas Harkin, 515-284-4574
ID, Michael Crapo, 208-334-1776
ID, James Risch, 208-342-7985
IL, Richard Durbin, 312-353-4952
IN, Daniel Coats, 317-554-0750
IN, Richard Lugar, 317-226-5555
KS, Pat Roberts, 913-451-9343
KY, Mitch McConnell, 502-582-6304
KY, Rob Portman, 361-576-1231
LA, Mary Landrieu, 225-389-0395
LA, David Vitter, 337-262-6898
MA, John Kerry, 617-565-8519
MD, Barbara Mikulski, 410-962-4510
ME, Susan Collins, 207-945-0417
ME, Olympia Snowe, 207-874-0883
MI, Carl Levin, 313-226-6020
MI, Debbie Stabenow, 517-203-1760
MN, Al Franken, 651-221-1016
MN, Amy Klobuchar, 612-727-5220
MO, Claire McCaskill, 816-421-1639
MS, Thad Cochran, 601-965-4459
MS, Roger Wicker, 601-965-4644
MT, Max Baucus, 406-657-6790
MT, Jon Tester, 406-449-5401
NC, Richard Burr, 910-251-1058
NC, Kay Hagan, 336-333-5311
ND, Kent Conrad, 701-258-4648
ND, John Hoeven, 701-250-4618
NE, E. Benjamin Nelson, 402-441-4600
NH, Kelly Ayotte, 603-622-7979
NH, Jeanne Shaheen, 603-647-7500
NJ, Frank Lautenberg, 973-639-8700
NJ, Robert Menendez, 973-645-3030
NM, Jeff Bingaman, 505-346-6601
NM, Tom Udall, 505-346-6791
NV, Dean Heller, 775-686-5770
NV, Harry Reid, 702-388-5020
NY, Kirsten Gillibrand, 212-688-6262
NY, Charles Schumer, 212-486-4430
OH, Sherrod Brown, 216-522-7272
OK, James Inhofe, 918-748-5111
OK, Tom Coburn, 918-581-7651
PA, Robert Casey, 570-941-0930
PA, Pat Toomey, 610-434-1444
RI, Sheldon Whitehouse, 401-453-5294
SC, Lindsey Graham, 864-250-1417
SD, Tim Johnson, 414-276-7282
SD, John Thune, 605-334-9596
TN, Lamar Alexander, 615-736-5129
TN, Bob Corker, 423-756-2757
TX, John Cornyn, 512-469-6034
TX, Kay Hutchison, 214-361-3500
UT, Mike Lee, 801-524-5933
VA, James Webb, 804-771-2221
VT, Patrick Leahy, 802-863-2525
VT, Bernard Sanders, 802-862-0697
WA, Patty Murray, 206-553-5545
WI, Ron Johnson, 605-332-8896
WI, Herbert Kohl, 414-297-4451
WV, Joe Manchin, 304-342-5855
WV, John Rockefeller, 304-347-5372
WY, John Barrasso, 307-261-6413
WY, Michael Enzi, 307-682-6268

Links

UNITED PLANT SAVERS - I suggest anyone with a passion for the life given to us
and sustained by the Earth join and help fund plant sanctuaries
all around for endangered, at risked, and watched plants.

#46 Whispers

• Moderators
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Awaz is also making a petition about it, and it is the only petition that accepts the signatures of people living outside the USA.
For all of you that are not US citizens, remember that if this bill passes, you own internet will suffer.

You can find this petion at http://www.avaaz.org...e_the_internet/

Edited by Caliban, 20 January 2012 - 06:14 PM.
abusing moderator privileges to THANK Whispers for this invaluable information

#47 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'm well aware that this will affect internet globally, but the simple fact is, politicians only care about their salaries, and their job security isn't exactly threatened by someone who can't vote for or against them in the first place.

#48 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Whispers said:

Awaz is also making a petition about it, and it is the only petition that accepts the signatures of people living outside the USA.
For all of you that are not US citizens, remember that if this bill passes, you own internet will suffer.

You can find this petion at http://www.avaaz.org...e_the_internet/

Caliban said:

On the surface it appears to be about copyright and patent protection. But laws are already in place for that.

Here is what I wrote in reply to an article which appeared on - appropriately - CNNMoney:

If you want to see what "the end of the World" coming in 2012 actually means, look no further. The system is revealed as broken and its attempts to repair itself to assure its continued control are also failing. What comes to replace it is not yet determined. That is up to us - all of us - and we'd be wise to take our thinking to a higher plane than personal material benefit in deciding what that will be.

I could have said the same thing about our recent discussions of the Occupy movement - something else that CNN Money McFortune has poured a lot of effort (in terms of how the World Works, that means a lot of money) into discrediting.

Where is this going? I haven't the faintest idea, and honestly I am afraid to look. So instead, I am re-reading Erasmus' In Praise of Folly and thinking very hard about this between now and November. And, in the meantime, contacting my senators and representatives.

If the system is broken, why are people approaching the problem through system approved means?

Its like being concerned that the pipe under your kitchen sink is broken so in order to fix it, you turn on the faucet in hopes that more water will seal the break.
No longer posting

wren

#49 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

The system can't be repaired. It's broken not at the surface but at its very base. It's not a matter of patching the roof, but of detonating the whole building, digging out the rotted and moldy foundations, and starting anew, with a completely different blueprint and a completely different philosophy.

#50 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Iago said:

The system can't be repaired. It's broken not at the surface but at its very base. It's not a matter of patching the roof, but of detonating the whole building, digging out the rotted and moldy foundations, and starting anew, with a completely different blueprint and a completely different philosophy.

A new philosophy?

We tried that.

Part of the problem with this approach is no one knows what needs to used to replace it. Ideals are foggy at best.

The other part of the problem is people are unwilling to let go of old ideas.

The current and mainstream ideologies (Liberal versus Conservative) were good ideas, for their time. Now trying to make them work is like trying to make a record play in your DVD player.

However, I have noticed over time new philosophies have came into manifest due an effort to solve practical problems.

Which means if you want a new philosophy, then the focus should be on how to bring back power to the people within the system, and then let the results become the new ideal. Not the other way around, which is how people usually try things. The only way to come up with a strategy that will work is observe and figure out how it was taken from the citizens in the first place, then adopt the oppositions' means to power in a way that is feasible for every one.

A good example would be this law or type of laws. How often has this issue to try and censor the internet in favor of media corporations been pushed?
As long as the internet has been around.

What has been the common reaction?

Write your Representative.

If this was effective, then the result should have been the politicians telling the lobbyists that their money is no good and tell the media corporations to go invest in some R&D towards inventing a technology to adapt and make a profit in the information age and stop begging Washington to take care of their own problems.

Has this happened?

Nope.

Therefore the war for free speech on the net has not been won.

Therefore the best idea is to figure out tactics that will win the war must be devised.

The best means to figure out a new take is figure out what the opposition uses to get their way so many times at our expense.
No longer posting

wren

#51 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

The simple fact is our current system is one that cannot support itself forever. Overpopulation, fossil fuels, nuclear weapons, financial struggles and oppression, all this mean and nasty shit... it's going to come to a head at some point, and the "system" will tumble like a poorly-built house of cards, and when it does, it will be violent, if not cataclysmic... and those individuals left over when the rubble and smoke clear out will be forced to rebuild from scratch.

But enough of my fatalist whining. Here's what Maddox had to say about SOPA, and while he's just as harsh as ever, he has some words of true wisdom to spare on the subject: http://maddox.xmission.com/

#52 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Iago said:

But enough of my fatalist whining. Here's what Maddox had to say about SOPA, and while he's just as harsh as ever, he has some words of true wisdom to spare on the subject: http://maddox.xmission.com/

I agree with boycotting the companies responsible for this bill.

I also noticed a lot of politicians who supported it either had a "D" or a "R" next to the name.

The solution would be to stop voting Republican or Democrat. If Liberal, vote Greenparty. They actually give a damn about their cause instead of lip service.

Libertarians are the true conservatives of this nation. And if you are a religious conservative, why there is a the "Conservative Party" which have a platform with is in 100 percent with your beliefs. Stop voting for RHINOs.Vote for people who give a damn about representing your beliefs.

So the solution is start trying to encourage other people to vote third party, and stop voting the two main parties.
I know many people will say voting for a third party is throwing their vote away, but here is the result of voting for the two main parties:
Posted Image

It is no longer about "Left Versus Right" any more. It's about "you versus them", them being the politicians. Any one who doesn't realize this is part of the problem.

And if you think I am wrong about this, then let me ask you:
Why do these problems keep happening again and again?

Because people keep voting the same parties who do the same bullshit again and again.

Perhaps it is time to break the cycle.

And if you still want to vote one of the two main parties at least vote out an incumbent. Boycott those electronic ballot machines while at it, because those things are known to be unreliable.

The final thing we can do is use the same thing the corporations do to get laws passed. Which is use money. Every time something like this happens, send a money bomb, not a letter. Five dollars (or even one dollars) sent in to oppose such stupid laws by a lot of people sends a message loud and clear.

Edited by Spraypaint, 21 January 2012 - 12:48 AM.

No longer posting

wren

#53 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Perhaps people should start filling their ballots in for "Nobody."

Personally, I'd love to see "Nobody" elected into power.

#54 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

"Nobody for President" has been a staple of consciousness advocate and activist clown Wavy Gravy for decades. He's an interesting fellow. Provided that Wikipedia is not staging another (highly effective!) blackout, you can read about him here.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#55 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Well you can't put nobody in as a candidate, but there are a lot of joke candidates you can vote for.

Vermin Supreme for one:

http://en.wikipedia..../Vermin_Supreme

Which are good as nobody.

If you want to protest, voting for these guys should send a clear message.

#56 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Very interesting indeed Caliban. It's good to know the hold-over from the Sixties hasn't completely faded into complacence. What an odd fellow, with clearly a lot of smart stuff to say... I think the general counter-culture needs more clowns in this day and age :)

I wonder if his "Vote Nobody" campaigns are at all related to this sign and its offspring:
Posted Image

And Spraypaint, technically, there is a way to vote for "Nobody," it's called spoiling your ballot and if it was done intentionally on a large scale, well, I'm sure it would definitely throw a monkey wrench or two into the works.

#57 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

I agree, however the message (vote third party or a guy named nobody) offers a simple solution and slogan for people to rally behind and a loud message to the other candidates.

The only problem?

Helping people getting over their fears of "but I vote Democrats so The Republicans won't win" or vice versa.
No longer posting

wren

#58 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, people need to figure out the "lesser of two evils" rationalization is never truly valid. It's like saying, and excuse my explicitness here, "I don't wanna rape and murder that little girl so I'll just rape her instead."

#59 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

Iago said:

Yeah, people need to figure out the "lesser of two evils" rationalization is never truly valid. It's like saying, and excuse my explicitness here, "I don't wanna rape and murder that little girl so I'll just rape her instead."

Lesser evil is still evil.

In other news:

http://www.washingto...MNEQ_story.html

Says it was anom. I heard differently that China had something to do with it.
No longer posting

wren

#60 Alice

• Banned
  • 883 posts
  • LocationNot here!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

Do you want to know why voting third party is wasting your vote? Why either a republican or a democrat always wins? Because you keep voting for them. If everyone would just get over the "lesser of two evils" bullshit and devote their time to getting rid of both evils, the problem would be solved pretty quickly. Thousands of nazi soldiers fought in WWII because they were just following orders, everyone else was doing it and they couldn't possibly succeed if they tried to fight it. Everyone thought that, and if everyone who wanted to turn their guns on the general had done so the war would have been over real quick.

People used to do what was right, rather than settling for what was the least wrong. Even if the odds were a hundred to one, they trusted that the noble cause was always worth it and that if they played their cards right The Powers That Be would look out for them. I miss old world problem solving.

If you want to know how to protect free speech on the internet, I've got an old world solution for that one too. How have people stopped the ones in power from crossing the line throughout history? Simple, take the power, and fortify the line.

The emperor is forcing your children to fight to protect his palace? Hide your children and leave the palace gates unlocked.

The king is taxing your tea and everything else he can think of? Dump the tea, burn the ship, and resign from the empire.

The senate is trying to censor the internet? Build new servers, privatize the internet, lock them out of the system, mask the identities of all users, and neither can they alter content without the consent of the owner of a site, nor can they charge anyone with anything if they can't identify anyone.

Problem SOLVED.

May you find what you seek,
Alice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users