- - - - -

Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act

105 replies to this topic

#1 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Has anyone looked into these two things? One passed the senate on the 16th, the other is looking like it may pass.

What does this mean for the OC? Well, heh, look around, there are quoted excerpts and links to videos, books, and other things which break such pending laws.

What does this mean for you?
Well, the end of google, youtube, yahoo, facebook, and likely any other site you visit.

If they pass, then that would not be a new rule here, but a rule that has not been enforced re-looked at, and well, enforced to the highest degree... as in, if linking to such things and quoting from sources would cause the OC to be blocked/censored, then doing such things would have to be dealt with VERY harshly.

Search for either of these terms to learn more...
Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act

http://en.wikipedia....line_Piracy_Act
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Protect_IP

And if you don't think it's a possibility, I've received two DMCA cease & desist letters over copyright infringements, and have been contacted by at least 4 authors for excessively quoted material or linkage copyrighted books since the site was started.... so it would only be a matter of time before such things caught up with us if such legislation passes...

Contact your public leaders and tell them to stop being silly before they KILL the internet!

Thank you for your time,
Q

#2 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

Don't worry Q, the H@X0rz, are behind you. If they seize thy internet we will all just like the Pirate and Warez sites, go underground. ;)

For nearly 20 years I meditated on and studied that which has no name, but is absolute, infinite, beyond both small and large. Finally one day I realized the limits of my sentient consciousness. It has all power over whether we are it or dual. There is no choice of the nondual, for choice is dual. Just be, live, do what you will, with love and wisdom. As Hermes said, in a time yet unborn, all shall be one, and one shall be all. True enlightenment has nothing to do with attainment. It's an inner peace, that there is nothing to be done, I call it surrender to the Spirit.

#3 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

ChaosTech said:

Don't worry Q, the H@X0rz, are behind you. If they seize thy internet we will all just like the Pirate and Warez sites, go underground. :)

A) we are not a pirate warez site and I in no way shape or form wish to be lumped in with them.
B) That is VERY VERY VERY bad for an online community.

It would be far better for the site in the long run if they simply worded things better when it comes to law, but as that will not happen, we simply need to word things better when it comes to this type of thing here on the Corpus ;)

#4 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

I've already signed petitions and written congressmen and the like. If it does pass, I think it will be struck down quickly, but it looks like the outcry is having an effect- SOPA is losing support in congress rapidly.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#5 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

voidgazing said:

I've already signed petitions and written congressmen and the like. If it does pass, I think it will be struck down quickly, but it looks like the outcry is having an effect- SOPA is losing support in congress rapidly.

Yeah, I do not expect it to remain in it's current form, WAY to broad in its scope, and too many innocent sites will be punished, not to mention the nightmare of enforcing such things... but change IS on the way, that is to be sure!

I wish I'd have noticed this before it was up, so now it's almost second hand, but I figured I'd share it none the less, to make sure those that could speak up did so.
Q

#6 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

The only thing we can do is use magic in hopes they find a workable and very profitable business model based on sharing information, instead of restricting it like this act is intended to do.
No longer posting

Pray and Know that the world is Good. Do penitential rites and cleansings. Make yourself pure and humble. After that, then most of your dross will be swept away by Divine Joy.
wren

#7 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Spraypaint said:

The only thing we can do is use magic in hopes they find a workable and very profitable business model based on sharing information, instead of restricting it like this act is intended to do.

You could also call your congressmen ;)

#8 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

I view those geezers who don't know the difference between a record player and a cd that were bought off by the record companies as part of the problem. Writing to them is like a Mexican cop writing to a drug lord to cease trafficking drugs.
No longer posting

Pray and Know that the world is Good. Do penitential rites and cleansings. Make yourself pure and humble. After that, then most of your dross will be swept away by Divine Joy.
wren

#9 Morrigan

(>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

• Administrator
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Spraypaint this is not directed at you personally merely at your statement which I hear in so many different forms. So please excuse me if I channel Bill Hicks.

Oh for the sake of so many FUCKS! Are we surprised? It is simple. Politicians are afraid of losing control and they are clamping down in the only manner they know how. If you want a more physical example look no further than some local and a handful of federal actiona regarding Occupy.
Occupy groups have managed to make inroads into the American mind and are doing so peacefully and seriously. They are a threat to established powers both Democrat and Republican.Hell various political leaders are freaking out that this could be a better organized, wider reaching, and more accepted counter culture movement that this country experienced in the 60's. They are afraid and are responding in the only way they know how. Dismissal, propaganda, and brute force. When force fails to stop them...and it will have to get worse, much worse, before the violence ends and the concessions begin.

This is part of the price for having the State. It is large, bumbling, brutal, and lacks empathy. However it is us. It is a reflection of us. and it is the creation of us. It exists because of our grand dreams and our lazy realities. Until we are prepared to do without the comforts of a State, then we are going to have to shoulder the burden of our blind idiot child.

So hold onto your hats Boys, Girls, Girls who are Boys, and Boys who want to be Girls, and those folks who haven't quite figured it out yet...because what we're seeing here is something different and maybe a little game changing. I just hope the cost is paid in time rather than blood.

.....ppant pant pant.....so in other words.. Apathy bad!
Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#10 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Morrigan said:

Spraypaint this is not directed at you personally merely at your statement which I hear in so many different forms. So please excuse me if I channel Bill Hicks.

Oh for the sake of so many FUCKS! Are we surprised? It is simple. Politicians are afraid of losing control and they are clamping down in the only manner they know how. If you want a more physical example look no further than some local and a handful of federal actiona regarding Occupy.
Occupy groups have managed to make inroads into the American mind and are doing so peacefully and seriously. They are a threat to established powers both Democrat and Republican.Hell various political leaders are freaking out that this could be a better organized, wider reaching, and more accepted counter culture movement that this country experienced in the 60's. They are afraid and are responding in the only way they know how. Dismissal, propaganda, and brute force. When force fails to stop them...and it will have to get worse, much worse, before the violence ends and the concessions begin.

This is part of the price for having the State. It is large, bumbling, brutal, and lacks empathy. However it is us. It is a reflection of us. and it is the creation of us. It exists because of our grand dreams and our lazy realities. Until we are prepared to do without the comforts of a State, then we are going to have to shoulder the burden of our blind idiot child.

So hold onto your hats Boys, Girls, Girls who are Boys, and Boys who want to be Girls, and those folks who haven't quite figured it out yet...because what we're seeing here is something different and maybe a little game changing. I just hope the cost is paid in time rather than blood.

.....ppant pant pant.....so in other words.. Apathy bad!

No, my point is the surest way to judge the effectiveness of an action is by its durability.
Freedom of speech on the net being threatened by the traditional media is not a new issue. It has been countered by traditional political means (calling or writing your congressperson) before. If it were effective, then it would not became an issue again. It would have been done and over with. Yet it has not. Thus writing or calling my congress persons is not the best option.
Sure it is working now, but that is the short term. Once this current battle against SOPA is done and over with, they (being the media industry) will try a new means to get their way and so will the politicians, and they will do this bit by bit through compromise over a long period of time, thus winning the war.

The only reason this isn't going to happen is corporations who have their livelihoods threatened by this bill (Google, Yahoo, and other net companies) have enough money to fight the old media and the older politicians (like McCain) and possibly give more in campaign contributions.
No longer posting

wren

#11 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

It might in a way be a good thing if this happens. There are several nascent groups working to get a 'dark net' up and running- that is, infrastructure (probably wireless routers and PCs-as-servers ala Tor) and content neither controlled nor controllable by The Man. Right now only the die hard are putting resources to it, although there are enough people who would if they suddenly perceived it as necessary.

The media groups will be screwing themselves, sure- but the real payoff is that it will suddenly become much more difficult for any governmental agency to prevent communication, discern the identity of anonymous dissidents, etc. People will be as blase about violating SOPA as they are about cutting off mattress tags, 'everybody does it', and suddenly such laws have lost all moral authority, those who make them have lost credibility, and everyone is just that much less afraid off The Man, who looks a little ridiculous with his bow tie, red angry face, and limp dick in his hand.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#12 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

voidgazing said:

It might in a way be a good thing if this happens. There are several nascent groups working to get a 'dark net' up and running- that is, infrastructure (probably wireless routers and PCs-as-servers ala Tor) and content neither controlled nor controllable by The Man. Right now only the die hard are putting resources to it, although there are enough people who would if they suddenly perceived it as necessary.

The media groups will be screwing themselves, sure- but the real payoff is that it will suddenly become much more difficult for any governmental agency to prevent communication, discern the identity of anonymous dissidents, etc. People will be as blase about violating SOPA as they are about cutting off mattress tags, 'everybody does it', and suddenly such laws have lost all moral authority, those who make them have lost credibility, and everyone is just that much less afraid off The Man, who looks a little ridiculous with his bow tie, red angry face, and limp dick in his hand.

You've ignored my premise, which was the way to measure effectiveness of an action against a perceived wrong is by it's durability. A correct action needs only to be done once for an issue to be resolved. I've already explained why traditional means, such as calling your congress person is ineffective based on this premise. If I haven't, then I will promptly do so and in further detail.

The best action in this case would be vote in and support younger politicians (despite if they are of the right or left) who are of the net generation who view the web as an asset (and not as a threat) to their political careers, thus know how (and are willing) to work with it, thus most likely are not going to pass legislation against it. Those who grew up with out technology (Like McCain, for he is a very good example of what I am talking about) will be more likely to accept campaign contributions from old media companies and work against freedom of information on the internet, for they lack understanding of it, and because of this lack of understanding results in fear of it, seeing it as a threat to their careers, thus more likely are going to work against it in attempts to control it.

By getting rid of the old foogies currently in political office and replacing it with younger people, the legislation will be in the long and short term be pro-net, not anti-net.

The main cause behind this issue is the generational gap, not a political one.
No longer posting

wren

#13 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I wonder if Obama, and other high ups have ever pirated music, movies, or games? I bet they have, and still will no matter how restricted the internet becomes.

For nearly 20 years I meditated on and studied that which has no name, but is absolute, infinite, beyond both small and large. Finally one day I realized the limits of my sentient consciousness. It has all power over whether we are it or dual. There is no choice of the nondual, for choice is dual. Just be, live, do what you will, with love and wisdom. As Hermes said, in a time yet unborn, all shall be one, and one shall be all. True enlightenment has nothing to do with attainment. It's an inner peace, that there is nothing to be done, I call it surrender to the Spirit.

#14 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

Certain policy pushers seem to have a problem coming to grips with the very basic truth that once a thing can be duplicated instantly and an endless number of times (i.e. anything in digital form) it ceases to have any monetary value.

SCIENTIAM SAPIENTIS, SAPIENTIAM PVER

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

The gods, they are but masks. Who is wearing them?

#15 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

The best action in this case would be vote in and support younger politicians...

That is highly unlikely to prove to be an effective strategy. Young politicians are still politicians, and they will accept money from anyone willing to give it. I don't for a minute think that the corporations will allow any who would fight them to be elected, young or old. Further, the current regime is all about using technology to control, and they will do it whether they are young or old.

#16 Alice

• Banned
  • 883 posts
  • LocationNot here!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Spraypaint, as stated by Voidgazing, your premise has a fatal flaw. All politicians seek power and control over their fellow man. That latent trait is the thing which causes people to become politicians, anyone who doesn't have it lacks the personality type necessary to succeed in politics. In the words of Douglas Adams, "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President (or any political office) should on no account be allowed to do the job." And if anyone ever tells me I can't post that quote on a message board, I'd like to see them try to stop me. Should be a laugh.

Voidgazing makes a prophecy similar to mine. I didn't know people were already working on it, but if this bill passes an "underground internet" is the only realistic outcome. To quote Star Wars "The tighter your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers" and yes I'm quoting major media over and over deliberately.

Communications technology has been made available to the public, it cannot be taken away. Why do you think you can't go out and buy anti-aircraft missiles? Because once the public has access to a weapon, it can never be secured by the people in power again. It can always be reproduced. Make no mistake, the internet can be used as a weapon, I've seen it happening. Allout.org is almost entirely internet based, and is actively changing governmental policies regarding the LGBT community all over the world. When a hundred million plus people say "FUCK NO!" the rest of the world sits up and listens. With the advent of the internet, that is happening.

This bill is a real retard move, because right now the whole world has access to information, and when they learn something they don't like, more people get together to do something about it than ever before. In the 60's it was half a college campus protesting "Cause X" or whatever; now it's half the civilized world. The people in power don't like this, and they'd rather no one knew what they were up to, the SOPA is as much a gambit to cripple the internet and keep people from communicating as efficiently as it is anything else. Take the quotations away from Facebook, and you kill Facebook. Their only advantage is that they can tell who's doing the protesting, we don't really have anonymity, so if you cross the line they can justify showing up at your front door with handcuffs. All they're going to achieve with this stupidity is half the civilized world protesting their actions with complete anonymity.

I couldn't care less about taking action, political or otherwise. It's not my thing. I prefer just knowing what's going on in the world and watching. I'm going to be watching this bill and its ramifications, and I'm going to be laughing. If that underground internet thing comes through, somebody on the inside please let me know.

If SOPA pissed you off, look at this one: http://destructionis...-a-battlefield/

SOPA is only part of the equation, there's a whole gambit in the works to strip the American public of all civil liberties. What are you going to do about it? I for one, am going to watch the fireworks if this one passes.

May you find what you seek,
Alice

Edited by Landra, 30 November 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#17 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

If the bill in your link passes and survives challenge, a darknet is going to be wayyyy more necessary than if SOPA does. I really, really don't want to disappear for the stuff I said in the OWS and Agora threads, and that is exactly what they are going to do with anybody who speaks against them.

#18 Alice

• Banned
  • 883 posts
  • LocationNot here!

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

No kidding.

I'm hardly a subversive. I guess you'd call me a societal voyeur, I like to watch things happen and theorize about the outcome. So far I'm usually right. Even so, I have an expectation of the freedom to speak my mind. I'll just keep my head down and enjoy the show.

May you find what you seek,
Alice

#19 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationMusic City

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

Just a few weeks ago, we saw several people here get upset over duplicated content from this site posted without permission elsewhere. The fact that the material was copied and pasted without permission merited some sort of action on the part of this site's manager. That tells me the folks here don't like it when someone steals their (not-for-profit) articles and posts them up elsewhere.

Why, then, is it OK for people to steal material that is produced for profit and then distribute it freely? Why are you so adamantly against having your own articles taken, but so agreeable to having other people's stuff taken?

Some months ago, I brought up the issue of online book piracy, and the response was something along the lines of "If you were worth your magic wand, you would conjure these people out of business so that it could not happen anymore." If this SOPA worked (which it won't), that might have a chance of happening.

Is it OK to pirate software, books, movies, and music because the major media companies are so rich?

#20 Iago

The DUKE of FLUKE

• Old Timers
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSnowy Wastes

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

Imperial Arts said:

Is it OK to pirate software, books, movies, and music because the major media companies are so rich?
Simply put... yes.

I was a trifle confused over the incident with OC posts appearing on other sites as well. "What's the big deal," I thought. But think of it this way. Media created for the purpose of selling to the masses, monetary transactions being something that some of us *ahem* consider despicable in their own right, is put to better use being free and available for anyone who should glean any benefit. On the other hand, posts created on this open community forum are already free and available to anyone who would benefit. The sites that "borrowed" them, while certainly not charging per view or anything, auto-borrowed excerpts from a wide gamut of categories of website in order to crop up in the Google results of a wider variety of people, thus increasing it's e-profitability by raising the number of ads seen/clicked on it per day, taking something that was created on the internet to be free and open to anyone and using it to play the system and make cash. So maybe it's the cash that's immoral and not the other stuff.

Oh, and also, piracy always gives the original artist their credit, whereas plagiarism never does. big difference.

SCIENTIAM SAPIENTIS, SAPIENTIAM PVER

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

The gods, they are but masks. Who is wearing them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users