- - - - -

HRU and HUA

5 replies to this topic

#1 Tibuda

• Old Timers
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

I have been researching about two entities that take important roles in the Golden Dawn rituals, the angels HRU and HUA. All I have found about them is that in the enochian system of John Dee, HRU is a minor angel and HUA is a cacodaemon. I could not find more details, but I don't have all Dee material available. Are those entities the same? There are some supplementary GD material about them? I have found nothing in the Z docs or the other published second order lectures. There's something I'm missing?
Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much! -- Legis III 42

#2 AEternitas

• Old Timers
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

HUA means He, the H is for Mater, the V for Pater and the A for the corona, referring to a Chymical Wedding, the marriage of the Sun and Moon, as in an eclipse.
HRU on the otherhand I know far less about.
http://www.esotericg...rev_equinox.htm

#3 Tibuda

• Old Timers
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thanks aeternitas! According to that link, HUA is an angel and a godname of the Quran. That's surely not a cacodaemon. I don't have much knowledge in islam, but you have pointed me the way, and I'll make some reasearch. Thanks!
Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much! -- Legis III 42

#4 xcoredavid

• Old Timers
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

I recognize HRU from a Crowley invocation he used before divinations...
"Let's hold hands and watch the world fall apart."

#5 AEternitas

• Old Timers
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:25 AM

Yes, HRU is the angel set over operations of divination and the tarot in the GD system.

#6 Aunt Clair

• Old Timers
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

[quote][url]http://books.google.com/books?id=xAmMNnJlfnoC&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=HRU+angel&source=bl&ots=vv3_yXvoQ-&sig=ntkt10B9KytI2lhEUAXB7RqSG5A&hl=en&ei=gGuxTbwPguKIAraYhbAG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCDgU#v=onepage&q=HRU%20angel&f=false[/url]

HRU in Golden Dawn ritual,
a Great Angel set over the operations of the GD order's secret wisdom.

HRU was invoked in the ceremony used to consectrate the Vault of the Adepti, and is also mentioned in the Golden Dawn Tarot papers, as a result of this latter point, he is called upon by many Tarot practicioners, in an out of the Golden Dawn tradition for guidance in divination.
While nothing significant is said about HRU in the published Golden Dawn literature, his name is identical to that of the Egyptian Deity Horus (ancient Egyptian HRU)
It has been suggested that he is the angelic guardian of the Golden Dawn tradition as a whole . [/quote]

[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:P6pD9zhIp8QJ:www.lashtal.com/nuke/PNphpBB2-printview-t-4456-start-0.phtml+HRU+angel&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
...Crowley mentioned in TBOT in vital triads, The 3 Gods of IAO, 0.The Holy Ghost, I. The Messenger, IX. The Secret Seed.Three Demiurges a triad; Osiris, Isis, and Apophis
...IAO formula relates to INRI and LVX to life, death and (re)birth,All three formulas known from BRH (Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram) of GD[/quote]
[quote][url]http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/I[/url] ... al_formula
Divine Name of Tiphareth ;YHVH Eloah Ve Daath and the Angel is Raphael.
some authors (like Israel Regardie) hint at a possible replacement of the god-form of Tiphareth with the gnostic IAO, but these hints are rare

The Enochian Angel Hru mentioned in Golden Dawn rituals like the "Consecration of the Vault of the Adepti", but nowhere explained. Liber LXXVIII states "HRU The Great Angel is set over the operations of the Secret Wisdom" but nothing more.
[/quote]

[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:7gNV89R0O4YJ:www.scribd.com/doc/23231350/IAO-Magical-Formula-of-the-Highest+What+is+the+HRU+angel+HUA&cd=35&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]

A magical FORMULA OF THE HIGHEST: A Source Study from Origins to New Aeon Symbology
or, The ‘I’ in the Triangle.Eight Lectures on Yoga ... Achad’s view that in IAO “Hru appears as the average Apophis to those who try to go back, or retrogress[/quote]
[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UgyliTqISSAJ:www.sacred-[/url]
texts.com/oto/lib78.htm+What+is+the+HRU+angel+HUA&cd=36&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-
a&source=www.google.com and [url]http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib78.html[/url]
[quote]Crowley ~LIBER LXXVIII Publication in Class B.A DESCRIPTION OF THE CARDS OF THE TAROT WITH THEIR ATTRIBUTIONS; INCLUDING A METHOD OF DIVINATION BY THEIR USE
"All divination resembles an attempt by a man born blind to obtain sight by getting blind drunk."
FRA. P.
This is a figure in the shape of an Ankh, with symbols about and upon the form. The loop is a series of four concentric bands like the Rose cross, about a central circle. The central circle is quartered by a vertical Greek cross. This cross has a dot in the center and is marked "Red on white." The ring just about this circle is divided by radial segments into three chambers, with one centered at top; clockwise from top, the chambers are marked: "Bright pale yellow", "Glowing orange scarlet", "Deep blue". The next ring outward is divided into seven chambers, one to bottom, and marked clockwise from 1 o'clock: "Violet", "Indigo", "Blue", "Emerald Green", "Yellow", "Orange", "Red". The next ring outward is divided into twelve chambers, division at top and bottom with six to either side;
clockwise from 1 o'clock: "Crimson", "Violet", "Indigo", "Blue", "Green blue", "Emerald Green", "Green Yellowish", "Yellow Greenish", "Amber", "Orange", "Red Orange", "Scarlet". The outer ring is interrupted at the bottom by a segment to match the continuation of the sloping lower sides of the lower upright, the base of this segment is defined not by the ring but by the upper portion of two diagonals drawn from the inner angles of the cross. This five-sided semi-regular figure is further divided within by two crossed lines emanating from the upper corners and extending across the center to the midpoints of the lower sides. In the four chambers resulting are these color
abbreviations, clockwise from top: "Blk" (for black), "Russ" (for russet), "Cit'n" (for citrine), "Olive". To either side of this section, on the band itself, is written "white merging into grey". In the top of this outermost ring are these letters in the "Theban Alphabet": u r h --- signifying the "Angel" or "God of Tarot", HRU.[/quote]

[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z-F-KNb02eUJ:www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php%3Ft%3D111828+HRU+angel&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
Aeon: HRV is used in several places by GD , like the Consecration of the Vault of the Adepti.

Book T begins with a partial quote Rev 5: Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, "Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?"

HRV - Heh Resh Vau. Revealer of the Solar Wisdom
( of the HGA)

[U]H,[/U] the letter of Revelation. Secrets.
[U]RV [/U]is the old root meaning Yoni and hence Wheel (Fr. roue, Lat. rota, wheel) and the corresponding Semitic root means "to go".

"I invoke thee IAO that thou wilt send HRU the great angel"Heru-Ra-Ha. Lord of the Aeon of Horus. Symbol of the HGA
Chic Cicero’s Book Self-Inititiation into the G.D Chapter the Divine Names Attributed to the Sephiroth:
Godname: YHVH ELOAH VE-DAATH
Archangel: RAPHAEL
Angelic Choir: Melekim

Regardie writes in the Chapter Fire Centre (Tiphareth) from Art of True Healing:
Here vibrate the name Jehovah Eloah ve-Daas, pronounced as Yuh-hoh-voh Eh-loh ve-Dah-ahs. Take care that the intonation vibrates well within the formulated white sphere. If this is done, at once a radiation of warmth will be felt to emanate from the centre, gently stimulating all the parts and organs about it. Some students have complained that the above divine name is unduly long and difficult to pronounce. After some experimentation, I have substituted the Gnostic name IAO for the Hebrew word. Both are attributed, qabalistically, to the Sephirah of Tiphareth on the Tree of Life, and so are equally valid. I have found it to be every bit as effective as the Hebrew name, and in my own practice of this meditation I have permanently substituted the one for the other In the Golden Dawn tradition the name IAO encapsulated the solar cycle of life, death, and resurrection. This cycle
was expressed through the individual letters of IAO in the analysis of the keyword, INRI.
I.N.R.I.
Yod. Nun. Resh. Yod.
Virgo, Isis, Mighty Mother.
Scorpio, Apophis, Destroyer.
Sol, Osiris, Slain and Risen.
Isis, Apophis, Osiris, IAO

It's this focus on the solar resurrection cycle that distinguishes it from the divine name of Tiphareth, IHVH ALVH VDOTh. (Although IAV is a notariqon of that name.)The "formula of the dying god", (IAO) as this is usually called, does actually exist, but it represents a stage in human development which is now past as far as external theology is concerned. It has a sort of shadowy validity in psycho logy; for instance, in taking up a new task of any importance, one begins very pleasantly, the period ot Isis; the task becomes tedious and baffling, one begins to despair, the period of Apophis; then suddenly the subject is mastered and one comes to a triumphant conclusion, the period of Osiris.But the whole of this formula depends upon ignorance of the laws of nature; there is in fact no catastrophe. Natura non facit saltum; all change proceeds with perfect order, ease and harmony. It is the great task set before mankind at the present moment to realize, and therefore to adjust, means of action to the facts of the case, thus preventing the illusion of catastrophe by eliminating the element of surprise. It is of course also of supreme importance to eliminate that prejudiced desire which is the poison of will, "For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect".[/quote]
[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hHP205y7ZJsJ:answers.yahoo.com/questionindex%3Fqid%3D20081123214152AAWTurV+HRU+angel&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
How do you pronounce HRU? As in the tarot invocation "I invoke Thee, IAO, that thou wilt send HRU, the great Angel that is set over the operations of this secret Wisdom......." As it says HRU, the "Angel" I would assume it wants you to pronounce it how Enochian is traditionally pronounced
in occult circles. That would be Heh, Re, U, as three different letters. This of course can be varied, Ha, Rah, Uo, etc.
Iiiiii, Aaaaaah, Oooo is how I say it. If you go to Youtube.com there are a lot of performances of rituals where you
can actually see occultists doing these. Many of them are even right. :(
[/quote]

[quote]As a lifelong user of the Thoth Deck (as well as an initiate of Crowley's magickal order, O.T.O.), I can verify that the the proper pronunciation of HRU is "Heh-ROO". This is NOT an Enochian Angel, and should NOT be pronounced using Enochian technique. ~V~* Those names are Greek, The real names of Isis and Osiris was Aset and Wizzer. They both had Khemite names. The land of Egypt was never called Egypt (Aeogyptos) that is a Greek name for a land that was called 'Khem'. Source(s): Stephen S Mehlers 'Land of Osiris'[/quote]

[quote] IAO --co-opted by Aleister Crowley and his magic--was a name of God or superior god of light used in various cultures throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East. It is used as a substitute for the ineffable name of God in Judaism, related to Jao or Jehovah.The Greeks and Romans at the turn of the 1st millennieum revered the deity IAO but associated the deity with the god of the Jews, but it may have had origins in Egyptian gnosis-spirituality. It is related to mysticism related to vowel sounds, with the Egyptian mystics adapting the 7 vowel sounds of the Greeks: Iota, Epsilon, Eta, Alpha, Omicron, Upsilon, Omega, which they considered to be the divine name and chanted in various ways. The Iota is related to the divine light of creation and also the quintessence; the A and O are related to Alpha-Omega--or the totality of existence. In all, it refers to God as the divine light, specifically the light related to the winter solstice. Thus it is associated with Horus as the divine child and other deities related to the renewal of the redemptive light.It is pronounced EEE-AHHH-Ohhhh. It is said that it was chanted ending with a "ya" sound or in a warbled
kind of way.Source(s):The Gnostics and Their Remains by C. W. King Mystery of the Seven Vowel Sounds by Jocelyn Godwin and various other sources[/quote]
[quote]It depends what you are pronouncing it for. You may want to pronounce it letter by letter as previously suggested. Though, I am not sure if the Enochian source mentioned is correct. In prayer to that entity, I use Heru and would do the same if I was reading it aloud.[/quote]
[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jMLj3NGCRm4J:www.esotericgoldendawn.comresources_bkrev_equinox.htm+HRU+angel&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
[quote]Let's now bring up a serious issue that have been brought on by the new "Felkinized" trend. On both pages 115 and 128 the author mentions that the avenging angel is Hru¹, thus leaving Hua² as the angel of Divination! This is a very serious and dangerous switch. It is in no way in harmony with classical & original teachings of S.L. MacGregor Mathers and the Order. Even the Golden Dawn book by Regardie and all material on the Golden Dawn before (not including Zalewski), the switch is not made, Hru is the angel of Divination , Hua is Great Avenging Angel. This switch in the material is not fair to the readers, especially the new ones, for it can deceive them into believing that Hru is the avenging angel. The author's personal prejudice when presenting historical material should not tint his work in such a fashion. This negates historical and literal honesty. Therefore,he has no right to rewrite part of it as if it was the truth. The book does not read the "The Equinox & Solstice Ceremonies of the Whare Ra Temple & Ara Ben Shemesh.³"[/quote]
[quote][url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SjzBr1e6mUEJ:www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos332.htm+HRU+angel&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url] Tarot Divination (note:one of the first steps in divination is the invoking of the Angel HRU) ...."Divination of any kind is improper in matters directly concerning the Great Work itself. In the Knowledge and Conversation of his Holy Guardian Angel, the adept is possessed of all he can possibly need. To consult any other is to insult one's Angel."

"Although the adept is in daily communication with his Angel, he ought to be careful to consult Him only on questions proper to the dignity of the relation. One should not consult one's Angel on too many details, or indeed on any matters which come within the office of one's familiar spirits. One does not go to the King about petty personal trifles. The romance and rapture of the ineffable union which constitutes Adeptship must not be profaned by the introduction of commonplace cares."

Thus we may use Divination for those worthy questions which we need answered but cannot find out in any other way...either through our own research or by the contacting of one's Holy Guardian Angel. If we can attain the necessary magickal states discussed above and if we complete the necessary study and work which he suggests, we can become masters of Tarot Divination.[/quote]

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-HbiV6e8cvQJ:www.heruraha.net/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D7102+HRU+angel&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JXZEXl-wxbIJ:www.lashtal.com/nuke/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-4456-highlight-heru.phtml+HRU+angel&cd=21&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
[quote]The HUA I see referenced many times in the "Golden Dawn" published under Israel Regardie. It is referred to as the higher genius and as a great Avenging Angel. Kind of like the Thelemic HGA in the Higher Genius way.The HRU is the Angel who presides over the Tarot and Secret Wisdom. Liber T references this from the Golden Dawn and also from the just made available Liber Theta (T in Greek I believe) from College of Thelema linked within this forum under General Discussions.[/quote]
[quote]HVA (pronounced Hu) is the Hebrew pronoun "He," and often serves as a Divine Name of Kether, and also as the name of an angel of the same attributes. HRU is one spelling of Horus' name, and also appears in other contexts with different meanings.[/quote]
[quote]Hua (pronounced more or less as it's spelled) is also the Arabic word for "He". I think it's worth noting that in Crowley's British, the name Hoor would be pronounced the same.-- Robert W[/quote]
[quote]AEternitas1 wrote:The context I was referring to is the GD inner order and equinox ceremonies.I suspected ... but, if you still need more assistance, please cite the specific ritual (and, perhaps, the specific generation or source - since these things changed).[/quote]
[quote] From what I gather from the Golden Dawn invocation, IAO is a reference to the Tetragrammaton, with the formula INRI. Since Master Therion reconstructed IAO to satisfy the new conditions of Magick with the Aeons, I'll include that in the invocation.I may adopt the view of HRU being a general purpose angel myself, of course being the one set over the operations of the Secret Wisdom. [/quote]
[quote]Crowley also identifies this very same G.D. Tarot "angel" HRU with Horus (Heru) explicitly in at least one place, in context, though I am presently unable to indicate exactly where. It's there somewhere though. [quote]
[quote]Raphael is more specific , as far as I know, connected with the state of Tiphareth called Rachamim. Hru is the name of the Angel connected with his Ruach. And please note that both HUA and HRU are notarikons.[/quote]
[quote]"It should, by the way, be noted that the name Heru* is identical with Hru, who is the great Angel set over the Tarot. This new Tarot may therefore be regarded as a series of illustrations of The Book of the Law, the doctrine of that Book is everywhere implicit." [/quote]
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_7vE8CdgrW0J:www.armory.com/~mortoj/magick/newfiles/beginner.html+HRU+angel&cd=23&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url][quote]HRU: Who is HRU? (Too bad Dr. Seuss didn't do a book starting with that one... the children of America would all know Tarot. "Fifty fish, thirteen fish. Red Death, Blue Scorpio," is basically equivalent to "one fish, two fish; red
fish, blue fish" in all ways except scansion.
That (i.e. scansion) is why Ambrose Bierce is immortal and I am posting on Internet...) [/quote]
[url]http://www.angeldrawings.com/angelDictionary/angelsH.html[/url]
Hru - Hru, according to the teachings of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, is the angel in charge of all Secret
wisdom.
Some tarot card readers call on Hru for help and guidance when making their prognostications.
[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:f9G67ugWvjMJ:www.lawbright.com/logdos/tp.html+HRU+angel&cd=35&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url][QUOTE]
Tarot Pathworkings
... I would perform a banishing ritual (either the star ruby or a free form banishing of my own device which consisted of the vibration of each of the vowels in turn along with a visualised blue circle forming around me). I would then recite the invocation of the angel of the tarot:I invoke thee IAO that thou wilt send HRU the great angel that is set over the operation of this secret wisdom that he may lay his hands invisibly upon these consecrated cards of art that thereby we may obtain true knowledge of hidden things to the glory of thine ineffable name, Amen.I would then stare for some time at the image of the tarot card before closing my eyes and seeing the image from the card as a door in front of me that I then stepped through.After completing the pathworking, I would close the ritual and ground by intoning Aum three times and seeing the energy that had been raised passing through my hands and back into the earth.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wFAfVdLTSx4J:www.angelfire.com/ab6/imuhtuk/gdmans/tarot/N.htm+HRU+angel&cd=40&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
THE TAROT Theoricus Adeptus Minor Paper THE GREAT ANGEL HRU IS SET OVER THE OPERATION OF THIS SECRET WISDOM

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vLvVqXjEY-0J:hyperstition.abstractdynamics.org/archives/004627.html+What+is+the+HRU+angel+HUA&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com[/url]
"Great Avenging Angel HUA" mentioned in Vault of the Adepti
This crossing of the Abyss was confirmed by Germer on March 10th 1955. "It was in this connection that S[chlag].
spoke of the Great Angel HUA and the Unicorn. I give S. credit for one thing: 'You will be told what to do' - from my
own being at the time."
(Jane Wolfe to Germer, 20.2.55).
• Chapter of the Unity. 'Qol: Hua Allahu achad; Allahu assamad: lam yalid walam yulad; walam yakun lahu kufwan achad.' (Q'uran).
• The Chapter of Unity [X] MECCA.-4 Verses. In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful. SAY: He is God alone! God the eternal! He begets not, and He is not begotten; And there is none like unto Him.
• "In witness of which I invoke the great Angel Hua to give me a proof of his existence.", Confessions, Chap 59, Crowley.
• HRU, the Great Angel who art set over the operations of this Secret Wisdom (Vault of the Adepti). XX. The Aeon - Heru-ra-ha. A double god; his extraverted form is Ra-hoor-khuit; and his passive or introverted form Hoor-pa-kraat. (See above, the Formula of Tetragrammaton). He is also solar in character, and is therefore shown coming forth in golden light. The whole of this symbolism is thoroughly explained in the Book of the Law. It should, by the way, be noted that the name Heru is identical with Hru, who is the great Angel set over the Tarot. This new Tarot may therefore be regarded as a series of illustrations to the Book of the Law; the doctrine of that Book is everywhere implicit. (Book of Thoth, Crowley)

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Silent_Planet[/url]
hru — blood (hence arbol hru, gold)
Out of the Silent Planet CS Lewis

Reu nu pert em hru, known as The Egyptian Book of the Dead,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users