27 replies to this topic

#21 SuccubusSherry

Enthusiastic Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Agreed that Wicca is not related to this but I do believe that the Horned God was worshipped by the cavemen and hunter gatherers. I am not in very extensive company with this because scholars no longer believe it and many ordinary Wiccans would also say it has been debunked. This is another area that could be explored in shamanic journeys, as others have suggested
Most of my occult fiction is on free PDFs. See this page on my blog for a list of seven PDFs, by myself and the entity I write with, Ino.

https://candyrayblog...occult-stories/

#22 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

"Shamanism" is more than less a modern notion than a primitive one. The hunter-gatherer model held global sway among hominids for well over 100-thousand years. The regional and temporal differences among loosely associated bands would make the religious diversity in the world today look downright homogenous by comparison.

I have two suggestions to make, neither of which rely on knowledge of primitive peoples. The extreme idea is to go native. Find a small group of like-minded people, take in some serious survival training, equip yourselves (I do not believe primitive peoples would have denied themselves modern tools if they had access to them), choose a wilderness area that can reasonably support you, and go hunt and gather. Don't overlook the insects, and if it were me I'd want a mixed gender group, but then after a few years... you know what they say, any ol' port in a storm.

Your group can talk about spiritual ideas around the campfire at night, and inspiration will guide you from there. I imagine that's how things got started 100,000+ years ago, so I expect it could work as well today for people living that kind of lifestyle..

The other idea is less dramatic. A common idea of the modern "Shamanic" movement, which is rather a Post-New Age phenomena based on the descendents of relatively modern tribal peoples (Native Americans, Australian and South American Aborigines, etc.), is that what a Shaman does, primarily, is intervene in the spirit world on behalf of the people. Any basic model of a "spirit" world will do, but the most common Newagey notion posits a three-tiered model with our world in the middle between an upper world of gods and mythical heroes and a lower world, where one might go to retrieve a lost soul (another relatively common Newagey idea about "Shamanism). The idea is to learn to go the "spirit world" and do stuff there, for yourself and others.

If you want a book that lays out a fairly systematic plan for that sort of thing, Serge "Kahili" King's "Urban Shaman" will give you that. What he presents grew out of Max Freedom Long's invention: Huna, so it's nothing to do with ancient Polynesian/Hawaiian spiritual practices. Today King is using his success with that book to run a fairly expensive "spiritual retreat" on Kawaii, which he markets to New Agey types.

The book goes into some pretty kooky stuff at the end, but the basic structure and methodology presented in the earlier chapters are workable to the purpose named above.

Edited by R. Eugene Laughlin, 28 February 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth
http://neuromagick.com/
https://www.etsy.com...CraftsEngraving

#23 VIRAL

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

On Stone and Bone Art

Prehistoric spiritualism has held plenty of my interest in years past, but since we were on the subject of Rock Art , that's where I'll begin.

We have many examples and many different styles of prehistoric art, the first thing to keep in mind is context and relevance to the artist. Piles of stones for instance, were used in America to mark important deaths to their builder, sometimes used at the spot of burial. Later primitives such as colonial settlers would believe that witches (the flying, spectral kind) lived in them.

Petroglyphs are obviously a more flexible expression-- we have images of things observed like battles and great animal hunts, also of strange hominids, often injured (neanderthals and other real rivals to man, for example).

At Uluru in Australia there are renditions of spirit beings like Wandjina and Quinkin spirits-- they were probably either symbolic or actual visions the artist saw. Personally I think the creatures illustrate a sentiment that humans are not the center of everything. I mean, look at the size of that Gecko!

In Great Britain we have tedious spiraling patterns on big stones. These were to mark uncommon sites where lot-casting, spiritual covenants and ceremonies were to take place. Such observances could be generations apart or involve totally different tribes because anybody could recognize the sacred sites by the art. (Stonehenge being another example of this.)

Chinese Bone Script, carved on Turtle shells or Ox shoulders was not an alphabet but pictographs of real life things relevant to the artist (or his client). Pictures of figures, horned like Pan actually were the glyph for "boy," the horns represented a popular boy's hairstyle of the age. Just like a Chaote's sigils, the glyphs and their arrangement illustrated possible future things and the cracking of the bones was to discern between them (just like using a sigil for divination).

In all of these instances above, the purpose and relevance was known to the artist personally and not standardized for future generations like Hieroglyphs and Runic alphabets were. Another thing in common with Chaoism again, is personal context.

In my travels I've been living off and on like a savage myself. You realize just how much you were missing in civilization's cud-belly. Crows and pets talk, trees have "feelings" and land features can have a sort of disposition. But that, is within the author's context and may differ from another's experience.

P.S.-- Another practice among Cro-magnon and Neanderthal was dressing of the Dead. Cro-magnon (same exact species as modern man) dressed their dead in red Ochre or in rust, Neanderthal used Centaury. Preparation for an afterlife or protection from the dead? One Hecatomb recently discovered in Britain seems to be the latter-- iron rods were through all of their chests. Can anyone say "ancient Buffy?"

Edited by VIRAL, 06 March 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#24 Qaexl

• Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationAZ, US

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

View Postteopiltzin, on 14 June 2010 - 07:32 AM, said:

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the history or tradition of cave man shamanism. It is the earliest religion and is one which conventional shamans try to imitate, or at least should. Primitive cultures seem to be closer to it than those in the West, but I wanted ask: What were the techniques, beliefs, and cosmology of the Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal shamans. These first shamans had a deeper connection to nature or to the plant and animal world than any of us could have dreamed of. They had direct contact with the cosmos and the Creator.

I think you're going about this backwards. Sounds like you're trying to observe and catalogue a system of concepts, beliefs and mythology. It isn't like this at all. Those concepts, belief, and paradigm emanate from the direct experience of the cosmos. Direct experience is still available in this modern setting.

View Postteopiltzin, on 14 June 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

I've tried to travel to Adam and Eve, who were australopithicus. But we had a hard time communicating. They couldn't speak. Didn't have a highly developed larynx.

Right. This is where you shapeshift into Adam or Eve, that is, you trade places. You look out from Adam (or Eve's) eye, looking back at yourself. You feel what it feels like to be in that body, to have that larynx, to have those emotions, instincts, and thoughts. You'll probably find that the mode of consciousness is not modern at all -- it isn't so much the larynx is underdeveloped, it is that they don't think in words or writing and more likely think in pictures and feelings; they are also likely to experience the world in the Dreamtime. Things like, any member of a tribe can walk into another member's memory, kinda like a Star Trek holodeck's "snapshot" of a particular memory. Walk around it, poke around it, play with it, feel the whole reality of that particular moment.

Great magic happened when we started using words and writings. It changed our mode of consciousness. It's possible to bridge it back into that Dreamtime mode, but you won't get anything out of it by trying to impose verbal consciousness onto it.

This is where properly-prepared etheogen ceremonies help immensely.

-Qaexl

#25 Ching

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBurford Ontario Canada

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:10 AM

If you truly want to learn the knowledge of the ancestors forget the frustrations of tying to over complicate things, running around like birds flying in small circles and ending up never getting very far.Relax and enjoy the many wonders Mother Earth has so graciously placed before you.She is a far better teacher than any of us.It is through simplicity and your inner self truth may be found.

#26 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationA Hole in the Ground

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:29 AM

Remember that Homo erectus had fire and architecture some million years before Man. No human discovered fire. If Prometheus gave it to mankind, he was short, broad, and had a big nose set between heavy brows.

If you're willing to accept DailyFail as a source, the Neandertals were wearing claws as jewelry some 130,000 years ago.

The oldest "shrine" is estimated at 70,000 years and includes an image of a snake.

It's possible that neither of these had religious significance. In Scotland, it was once common to regard Roman glass balls as magical charms, some of which are featured in royal and clerical regalia to this day. Pictish arrowheads, called " elf arrows" were similarly regarded. The ancient Romans themselves remarked on primitive syperstitions regarding marine fossils. If one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man's junk drawer is an other's apothecary.

https://www.lulu.com...ibutorId=588142

http://www.lulu.com/...t-22253942.html

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Wilson & Shea, Illuminatus!

#27 SuccubusSherry

Enthusiastic Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

May I revive this old discussion, because I have recently come across a link to an article which explains the source of the belief that the Horned God was worshiped by our caveman ancestors. During the time I was devoted to Cernunnos I really loved the idea that the cavemen worshiped him and wanted it to be true; however I didn't know what the evidence for it was. Here it is.

http://nature.pagann...animals-part-1/
Most of my occult fiction is on free PDFs. See this page on my blog for a list of seven PDFs, by myself and the entity I write with, Ino.

https://candyrayblog...occult-stories/

#28 MizuRyuu

Dragonkin

• Old Timers
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

To the OP: I have one thing to say and ONLY one thing to say...... If you are that interested in this method of spirituality, then the only way to find what you seek is within your subconscious. You already have the information and knowledge, tapping into it is the difficult part. It takes focus, lots of meditation every day, and can take years to achieve what you seek. But the reward in the long run is well worth it. That's how I found out about druidry and I'm still learning. Have you tried speaking to your ancestors? If I were you I'd call upon your ancestors to help you with this. They're the best ones to turn to when you seek such anciet wisdom.

Update:
Oh my bad... lmao I didn't realize how old this post was. xD I'm really bad apparently at reading forum dates. Sorry guys.

Edited by MizuRyuu, 13 August 2015 - 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users