66 replies to this topic

#61 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:04 AM

More or less. Godforms are really just a handle for archetypal forces. Or a way of manipulating or channeling or identifying with those forces temporarily.

The magical persona is a matter of building a notion of oneself as the sort of person who can do that sort of thing, until it actually becomes true.

That persona can do some things of its own authority, of course. But sometimes it is nice to have the added oomph of a god to nail the thing home.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#62 Starbeast

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

Caliban said:

More or less. Godforms are really just a handle for archetypal forces. Or a way of manipulating or channeling or identifying with those forces temporarily.

The magical persona is a matter of building a notion of oneself as the sort of person who can do that sort of thing, until it actually becomes true.

That persona can do some things of its own authority, of course. But sometimes it is nice to have the added oomph of a god to nail the thing home.

Ahhhh. I like that idea...so like with godforms. I feel like I'm blaspheming even asking this lol...but in the same way that Venus is goddess of love, could one assume the Godform of Ronald McDonald to rule over burgers, and by extension fast food robber barons, and food/restaurants in general? I'm likely overtired lol...is so very bedtime. But it's a valid question in my chaotic system of colliding thoughts I call Awesome Mind :)

:cool: 37
AwesomeJon 37 unveiled: 04/06/10...the Conversation continues :) Xeper is no longer a useful concept - but Awesome still is.

Nothing stops me! I've got an awesome 'tude for an awesome dude and I'm actually seriously practicing...the world is within my grasp!

Call me Jon ^^

http://liberverendus.wordpress.com/ The action happens here....in the Book of Awesome! :D

And always remember...keep it heavy! \m/\m/

#63 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:12 AM

Starbeast said:

Ahhhh. I like that idea...so like with godforms. I feel like I'm blaspheming even asking this lol...but in the same way that Venus is goddess of love, could one assume the Godform of Ronald McDonald to rule over burgers, and by extension fast food robber barons, and food/restaurants in general? I'm likely overtired lol...is so very bedtime. But it's a valid question in my chaotic system of colliding thoughts I call Awesome Mind ;)

I think if one were going after fast food robber-barons, the more germane choice would be the Hamburglar. And if one were concerned about zoning codes, or civic permits for one's franchise, one would work with Mayor McCheese.

I would use Ronald himself for winning public support for my venture, as that is his main MO as an advertising mascot, and ties in with the charitable work of the Ronald McDonald House program, etc.

Pop culture is fair game.

But that ominous rumbling you hear is probably MacGregor Mathers rolling around in his crypt, trying to kick his way out to come strangle me. :)

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#64 Jehu A.:U.:

• Old Timers
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Caliban said:

I just finished reading Grant Morrison's Pop Magic! and his idea is that the logo of different companies are actually sigils designed to invoke desire for whatever product.

He then goes on to explain how we as magicians can fuck it all up.
Comrade Humar, the Party Clown in Technicolor Uncarnate

Episkopops of the Golden Worm People's Army
Every Golden Apple Is The Beloved Home Of A Golden Worm.

#65 Starbeast

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Jehu A.:U.: said:

I just finished reading Grant Morrison's Pop Magic! and his idea is that the logo of different companies are actually sigils designed to invoke desire for whatever product.

He then goes on to explain how we as magicians can fuck it all up.

I'm down with that idea...Morrison is something else ^^

Caliban said:

I think if one were going after fast food robber-barons, the more germane choice would be the Hamburglar. And if one were concerned about zoning codes, or civic permits for one's franchise, one would work with Mayor McCheese.

I would use Ronald himself for winning public support for my venture, as that is his main MO as an advertising mascot, and ties in with the charitable work of the Ronald McDonald House program, etc.

But that ominous rumbling you hear is probably MacGregor Mathers rolling around in his crypt, trying to kick his way out to come strangle me. :)

Well we'll go zombie slayer on his ass :D I agree with your ideas though - definitely was just making up random crap last night lol. It was fun as hell at 12:30 AM...but you had the necessary rethinking ^^ Just was mainly wondering if a godform had to be a big idea like Venus the goddess of love, or if it could be the god of something cheesy and stupid like cheeseburgers :(

AwesomeJon 37 unveiled: 04/06/10...the Conversation continues :) Xeper is no longer a useful concept - but Awesome still is.

Nothing stops me! I've got an awesome 'tude for an awesome dude and I'm actually seriously practicing...the world is within my grasp!

Call me Jon ^^

http://liberverendus.wordpress.com/ The action happens here....in the Book of Awesome! :D

#66 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

Any fictive persona with enough clout to resonate in the collective unconscious (which includes fictional characters like Tom Sawyer, superheroes, and advertising mascots) ought to be able to perform in this role. It may be cheesy, but it by all rights should be functional.

#67 Starbeast

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Caliban said:

Any fictive persona with enough clout to resonate in the collective unconscious (which includes fictional characters like Tom Sawyer, superheroes, and advertising mascots) ought to be able to perform in this role. It may be cheesy, but it by all rights should be functional.

Cheesy doesn't bother me...I'm the metal and nerdiness dude :P I like this idea...very, very cool. Kirk is the epic godform for the coming future :D

Call me Jon ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users