- - - - -

Assumption of Godforms.

66 replies to this topic

#1 RifRaf

• Old Timers
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

I have been, over the past year, writing a book on Ceremonial Magick in all of its aspects, attempting to touch on everything iI can in a way which resembles the classics such as Crowley's "Magick In Theory and Practice", Regardies "The Tree of Life" and Levi's "Dogma Et Rituel De La Haute Magie". At first this book was just for fun and contemplation, but I think there may be something more to it. Of course when it is finished I will release it for free. Following is a concise and "boiled down" version of an important Chapter from this book, which is Chapter 5, it is a practice that is probably least talked about or focused on, at least in depth; Assuming a Godform. Please tell me what you think, and thanks for reading it if you manage to read it all.

Assumption of Godforms

Posted Image

This may be one of the most important chapters of this essay, in my personal opinion. There is a lack of austere attempts at true identification with the Godforms within modern practice. It seems to be taken lightly, which stems from a crucial detachtment with the practitioner and their personal development. In this day and age it seems like admission to an Organization, Lodge, Order, Oasis, etc. is the only thing that many students seek. The Dramatic Ritual of Intiaition Ceremonies brings the student to a higher degree of growth because of three critical ideas, and practices. First is the aestetic allure upon the imagination, which can be performed in a matter of ways, the most common being the recreation of the life history of a "God" or Adept. The second is the endorsement of the teachings of the Order being harmonized gradually (at least in most cases) through-out the initiation(s) of the Order. Lastly is the attachement of the Aspirant with the initiatory body of both the physical, and astral officers. The first two go hand-in-hand with the latter, the "Astral Officers" will be the primary concern of this Chapter, as the physical Officers will be thouroughly mentioned in their right place.

The Assumption of Godforms is defined as a magical technique wherein the Adept works with the energies of a particular deity by "assuming its form." The image is built upon the astral, propagates, and flourishes itself by certain techniques used while attempting to assume the desired Godform. Intense visualization, and concentration is mandatory for success, as is the Vibration of Godnames for the forming of the "vehicle" which will become the Godform of the deity in which the practitioner wishes to attach himself with. It is very important that the practitioner realizes that he is only taking on the formation of the deity or entity in question, and not channeling it. When you take on the Godform you should speak, think, talk, and look like that deity, however, at the same time you must hold together a corner of your own conscious thought which must monitor the proceedings. The idea is to identify with the deity on the appropriate level so it may be "entered" and inhabited, and then to ascertain as much knowledge as possible locked up within that Gods symbolisms. The practice can become somewhat risky if the student becomes obsessed with the deity, becoming stuck in a repetitive habit of idolizing the image. If one does not apprehend that the image he is dealing with is being "fed" and organized with the students own energy, a representation of his own powers, and that the process is a convenient and exemplarary way on to which they are projecting inner powers, then he runs the risk of becoming dominated and controlled by those powers. On the other hand, the benefits of this practice are considerably profitable to the evolution of the student. Only upon enveloping himself with the Godform can the student develop an awareness of the numinous power of his choosen deity, and the resemblence of those powers with dormant powers of himself. In developing the relationship with any deity the operator receives exalted and progressively higher levels of the psyche and begins to build a subtle connection with what is refered to as the supercounciousness. The more wealth of emotion and worship of the particular deity, the more influential the benefits will be.

The collection of deities, and entities to choose from is immense in number, and I will be sharing a good amount of the more popular deities, as well as the unpopular at the end of this Chapter (not here included). Each seperate deity will be a representation of the various means of expressing the highest human ideals of the time and culture which the deity was connected with, and developed by. Most of the deities that are worked with in the Western Tradition of Ceremonial Magick are from Greek and Egyptian mythology. Deities connected with Christianity, Cathalocism and other more "modern" and popular religions are rarely, if ever used due to how uncohesive, arbitrary and inapplicable the entities and Gods are with the usual functions of the practice.

A very good practice to Assuming a Godform, one which is rarely talked about yet is somewhat effortless, is to envision the image of the particular deity at the Tiphareth centre. When you can hold this image comfotably, and visualize it clearly, you should allow it to expand itself around you, in a way it should "overshadow" you as if it was a shell around you, or a body of light which is to resemble the deity and not you. Using this with the methods of Vibration given earlier (not here included) will bring one closer to that deity and it will also help the student focus his concentration upon his heart Chakra.

We dance around in a circle and suppose, but Baphomet sits in the center and knows.

http://fraterooe.livejournal.com

#2 Drop

• Old Timers
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for writing and posting this, RifRaf. Far too little has been written and taught on the subject.

#3 A Rogue Spirit

Hedge Witch & Phytotherapist

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Drop said:

Thanks for writing and posting this, RifRaf. Far too little has been written and taught on the subject.

Very interesting. Good luck in your journey through the writing process. Let me know when you finish I would love to beta or purchase a copy.

Links

UNITED PLANT SAVERS - I suggest anyone with a passion for the life given to us
and sustained by the Earth join and help fund plant sanctuaries
all around for endangered, at risked, and watched plants.

#4 93rdcurrent

• Old Timers
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

An excellent subject. Of course everyone practicing the LBRP does this to some degree (or should be). I agree that many people do initially avoid this subject in their daily practice. Of course most people don't have a daily practice. Thank you for sharing.
Who's to say that the Crowned & Conquering Child might not choose to manifest as said purplescent, cornholing hare? Then again, hawks eat hares, so maybe not. Perhaps the hare is the symbol of the invocant, waiting to be rapt away in the talons of the stooping falcon? ~ Caliban

#5 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

93rdcurrent said:

Of course everyone practicing the LBRP does this to some degree (or should be).

Assumptiom of Godforms in the LRP?

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#6 93rdcurrent

• Old Timers
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Frater Yechidah said:

Assumptiom of Godforms in the LRP?

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.
Oh no, not you again! ;)

Sure, how about the assumption of the Horus and Harpocrates. The Sign of the Enterer and of Silence. While not a complete assumption in the context being put forth here it is the ground work and my use of it in this ritual and the LRH has also reinforced my understanding of it being that.
Who's to say that the Crowned & Conquering Child might not choose to manifest as said purplescent, cornholing hare? Then again, hawks eat hares, so maybe not. Perhaps the hare is the symbol of the invocant, waiting to be rapt away in the talons of the stooping falcon? ~ Caliban

#7 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

93rdcurrent said:

Oh no, not you again! ;)

hehe... have we met? ;)

93rdcurrent said:

Sure, how about the assumption of the Horus and Harpocrates. The Sign of the Enterer and of Silence. While not a complete assumption in the context being put forth here it is the ground work and my use of it in this ritual and the LRH has also reinforced my understanding of it being that.

While I get what you mean, you don't assume the god-forms with the 0=0 signs (and certainly not at Neophyte level). I suppose it "can" be done, but it's not really necessary in the LRP, and would probably cause more trouble than anything else for the majority of students.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#8 VIRAL

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

It's safe to say that the results of assuming a particular godform depend on the form assumed. Assuming godforms is one thing I am good at, and comparatively speaking it is not a bad form of magic. Every time you charge the sephiroth on the tree of life or do the four pillar ritual you are assuming a sort of godform.

#9 RifRaf

• Old Timers
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

Although the Sign of Silence in the LBRP is a reflection of Harpocrates, it is not a complete Godform. The assumption of Hoor-Pa-Kraat (harpocrates) is a very beneficial practice and one that I took on for a few months with great results, along with a Vibration such as MUAUM which starts with Silence, progresses through different phases (which the student can contemplate by making the sounds) and ends once again with Silence. Assuming this form while the student imagines themselves in an egg of dark indigo, between two pillars with a brilliant light descending upon them, is highly recommended.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We dance around in a circle and suppose, but Baphomet sits in the center and knows.

#10 Angelologist

• Old Timers
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

I have some clarification questions. . .

RifRaf said:

When you take on the Godform you should speak, think, talk, and look like that deity, however, at the same time you must hold together a [/center]

So this something I should purposely do not something I will naturally find myself doing after assuming the desired Godform?

RifRaf said:

If one does not apprehend that the image he is dealing with is being "fed" and organized with the students own energy, a representation of his own powers, and that the process is a convenient and exemplarary way on to which they are projecting inner powers, then he runs the risk of becoming dominated and controlled by those powers. [/center]

So the “god” is really just a representation of your own powers and not really assuming the actual “god’s” power? Kind of like the “sigil” technique?

#11 IAO131

• Old Timers
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

Angelologist said:

So the “god” is really just a representation of your own powers and not really assuming the actual “god’s” power? Kind of like the “sigil” technique?

Unless you think tehre are real gods floating around waiting to be inhabited, then yes it is your own power...

Must these things really be said?

I think this is good although it is entirely ambiguous what you mean by 'astral officers' and 'in the astral.' Why not just say 'in your mind's eye' since that does not introduce a new superstition/dogma and that is exactly what you mean?

IAO131
* The Homepage of IAO131 *
* IAO131 on Facebook *
* The Journal of Thelemic Studies *

Love Magick & Occultism but hate the archaic & un-scientific Supernaturalism?
Check out Naturalism Occultism if you will...

#12 VIRAL

Venerable Member

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Isn't Harpocrites a clown god?

#13 IAO131

• Old Timers
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

VIRAL said:

Isn't Harpocrites a clown god?

...No. Was that a poorly educated attempt at humor wiht a reference to Harpo Marx?

IAO131
* IAO131 on Facebook *

#14 Guest_Moonchilde_*

• Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

Thank you for this post.

If one does not apprehend that the image he is dealing with is being "fed" and organized with the students own energy, a representation of his own powers, and that the process is a convenient and exemplarary way on to which they are projecting inner powers, then he runs the risk of becoming dominated and controlled by those powers.

I found this quite keen.

It also reminds me how I like to deconstruct the Godform, which I feel is another area that is generally skipped over.

I know that many people would say that a proper Banishing is the way to go and end the journey there, but I believe it is more complicated than that.

If you have had the experience then you have imprinted youself. There are of course the imprints (you thought) you wanted when you conceived this exercise, and then some. Many of these are active processes that have achieved stable equilibrium. As such they appear to continue to utilize your energy, whether you like it or not.

I generally start with a Banishment of the Godform, proper, Itself.

I go back and inspect the pieces, enfolding them back into my reality.

Generally this involves a few LBRP sessions, in Banishing mode. The first may be colours, emotions and smell, the second images, stories and touch, the third perhaps shapes, logos, correspondences. I try not to have symmetry or "full coverage" as well as have partial overlap, etc. as a matter of form.

I try, in the meditative phase, letting my mind flow over and through the experiences, to renormalize those particularly stretched areas, as well as pick up the gems from the original experience.

#15 Angelologist

• Old Timers
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

IAO131 said:

Unless you think tehre are real gods floating around waiting to be inhabited, then yes it is your own power...

Must these things really be said?

I think this is good although it is entirely ambiguous what you mean by 'astral officers' and 'in the astral.' Why not just say 'in your mind's eye' since that does not introduce a new superstition/dogma and that is exactly what you mean?

IAO131

It was just a simple clarification question. :) I personally believe in spirits. However; harnessing your own powers and not that of an external entity is quite evidently expressed in this essay. So, my bad.

Must you always have to respond to me with your presumptuous attitude?

IAO131 said:

...No. Was that a poorly educated attempt at humor wiht a reference to Harpo Marx?

IAO131

Your really just inane aren’t you? ;)

#16 RifRaf

• Old Timers
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

Angelologist said:

It was just a simple clarification question. :) I personally believe in spirits. However; harnessing your own powers and not that of an external entity is quite evidently expressed in this essay. So, my bad.

The reason I strayed away from stating the existence of objective entities and Gods to make my point is because we cannot know for certain if they exist or not outside of our own experiences. What we can say, however, is that when we act a certain way, perform decided Rituals and create an enviorment which will stimulate us to whatever extant, certain phenomena follows. Whether you believe the same thing as me, or not, is really none of my buisness. I would rather stay impartial to any categorical ideas when writing about something like this.

#17 IAO131

• Old Timers
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Angelologist said:

It was just a simple clarification question. :) I personally believe in spirits. However; harnessing your own powers and not that of an external entity is quite evidently expressed in this essay. So, my bad. [

Must you always have to respond to me with your presumptuous attitude?

It was not presumptuous as I was entirely correct, Angelologist. You could easily call me presumptuous if I pre-emptively expected people like you who believe in ghosts and goblins flying and you DIDNT believe all that junk but you do, so it was without presumption and with foresight.

Also, I feel absolutely no reason to respect the idea of angels floating around as external entities. I respect RifRaf's pragmatism that 'hey, if it works it works' but some of us want to know what is going on, just like some people want to understand the computer they're typing on to make these messages or how their car works. When one does that, one comes upon a mountain of evidence for the idea that these are 'phantoms' of one's own system (neurological-psychological) and a whole mountain of bullshit from unrespectable people about how theres REALLY angels floating around. I think Crowley and others like Buddha found these debates frivolous because they wanted results and not to be Correct, but its so plain and simple nowadays that it really hurts me to see such blatant superstition in this community.

Your really just inane aren’t you? ;)

If pointing out people's failures at logic and humor make me inane, then inane am I.

IAO131
* IAO131 on Facebook *

#18 Angelologist

• Old Timers
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:54 AM

IAO131 said:

It was not presumptuous as I was entirely correct, Angelologist. You could easily call me presumptuous if I pre-emptively expected people like you who believe in ghosts and goblins flying and you DIDNT believe all that junk but you do, so it was without presumption and with foresight.

Also, I feel absolutely no reason to respect the idea of angels floating around as external entities. I respect RifRaf's pragmatism that 'hey, if it works it works' but some of us want to know what is going on, just like some people want to understand the computer they're typing on to make these messages or how their car works. When one does that, one comes upon a mountain of evidence for the idea that these are 'phantoms' of one's own system (neurological-psychological) and a whole mountain of bullshit from unrespectable people about how theres REALLY angels floating around. I think Crowley and others like Buddha found these debates frivolous because they wanted results and not to be Correct, but its so plain and simple nowadays that it really hurts me to see such blatant superstition in this community.

If pointing out people's failures at logic and humor make me inane, then inane am I.

IAO131

its not superstition if one actually experienced something proving the reality of the said superstition.

Also you think anyone’s going to actually believe you know the true mechanics of the universe and human reality? That you can accurately assume what Buddha and Crowley think? How pathetic could anyone be if they changed their whole paradigm based on the rambling post of IAO131.

Sexism and racism hurts me, but I have enough strength and logic to accept that people have various beliefs. I also have enough poise not to constantly insult them to prove my point.

Its so immature and sad that you have to keep dragging other's beliefs in the mud repeatedly. I'm sure everyone knows by know that IAO doesn't believe in spirits and that anyone who does is stupid. Give it a rest.

#19 RifRaf

• Old Timers
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

Angelologist said:

its not superstition if one actually experienced something proving the reality of the said superstition.

I've experienced many strange abnormalities and phenomena within the past 10 years I have been doing Magick, but just because I experienced them it does not mean that there was an objective entity at work. I have seen Goetic entities standing in a room clear as day, Enochian entities in a scrying mirror talking to me and telling me things which I could not know, they have moved material possessions such as curtains and cigarettes, and have turned off a T.V., other people have witnessed said events on more than one occasion. However, this still does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that what we experienced was the work of an outside entity. These were subjective experiences to those who were there. I am not saying that these things are all hallucinations, although some are (and that isn't a bad thing, nor does it disprove Magick what-so-ever), but these occurences could be due to a strain (be it mental, physical, exaltation of consciousness, etc) we caused on ourselves mixed with certain stimuli and the outcome was the following phenomena. Humans know for certain that these things can happen to the mind and that the mind can be a catalyst for some pretty strange anomalies, but we don't know for sure if there are spirits and entities outside of us, therefore in my mind it is best to take the former, analytical route instead of pushing a belief that isn't proven in favor of one that is.

This is not in anyway an attempt to disprove, make fun of or invalidate your own position on this, it is just the way we chose to label these things. There are certain things we can't really prove, especially if things like spirits or entities exist or not (how do we know that the color green which you see isn't the color red that I see and we both just call it green?) outside of the observers' (be it one or more) mind(s).

#20 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

RifRaf said:

...and have turned off a T.V....

"Where's my remote... BATAIVAH! Change the channel, please."

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic