- - - - -

Basic Enochian Class

76 replies to this topic

#61 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

Ideally I would have liked to have posted this first, but as they say: "Better late than never". When we talk about "Enochian", we generally think one thing, but there is actually a lot more to the original material than we might at first expect. This "lesson" is intended to highlight the three main sections of the material. We will only be dealing with the second one ("Enochian Proper"), for the most part, but it is good to recognise that other parts exist.

The Three Main Sections Of The Enochian System

1. The Heptarchic System

From hept ("seven") and archy ("realms/kingdoms" - from archon: "ruler"), this is, as you can imagine, entirely devoted to the seven "old" planets (the ones that can be seen with the naked eye). This was delivered first and includes the basic tools that were deemed necessary for the later Enochian work - such as the Sigillum Dei Aemeth, Table of Practice, Seals of the Bonorum, etc. There is a lot of material here (most of which you'll find in the Five Books of Mystery [Quinti Libri Mysteriorum] if anyone wants to check the source works), most of which isn't used by modern magicians, barring the Sigillum Dei Aemeth, as most people simply don't know it exists or know much about it (it wasn't as heavily employed by the G.'.D.'. as the Watchtower material was). Some of this material sneaks its way into the next section, however, so it is an area that will require further study once you've made some progress with the Watchtowers and/or Aethyrs. In the O.'.S.'.D.'.L.'. we usually reserve this work for higher grades.

2. Enochian "Proper" - Language, Watchtowers, & Aethyrs

This is the bit we're all familiar with, and it includes the actual language itself, the Great Table (and its subdivisions into Watchtowers, etc.), all of the Calls/Keys, the Aethyr names, and anything else that we traditionally think of when it comes to Enochian (barring the Sigillum Dei Aemeth, which is from category 1, as noted above). This course primarily deals with this section.

3. Liber Loagaeth & Other Obscurities

There was other material delivered, most of which is incredibly obscure, such as the Liber Loagaeth. Most people just don't know what this is, what it is intended to do, or how to make any practical (or even theoretical) use of it. There were myriads of tables delivered and some people have some theories on their use, but this is the section that is most open to interpretation and experimentation (and also, because of this, the most potentially risky, if you manage to even get anything out of it). It can be linked to the other two sections (afterall, they make up one unified system in the end), but how it links up remains theoretical at best. This material is reserved for the highest grades of the O.'.S.'.D.'.L.'. and is primarily experimental work at present.

So, that's it. I hope I'm not just adding to anyone's confusion here, but I think it's important to mention these at this time to save later confusion that might be created from other texts (or, indeed, the original material itself). Again, I must stress that they are all one system, though they can be (and are) approached individually.

Again, feel free to ask questions.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#62 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Ave Fiber,

I found the main quotation I referenced earlier in relation to the Cacodaemons (and how they are not to be summoned). Here it is:

Dee: As concerning the wicked here, Shall I call or summon them all, as I do the good ones in the name of God?
Ave: No man calleth upon the name of God in the wicked: They are servants and vile slaves.
Dee: We call upon the name of Jesus in the expulsing of devils, saying in the name of Jesus, etc.
Ave: That In, is against the wicked. No just man calleth upon the name of God, to allure the devil.
Dee:Then they are not to be named in the first summoning or invitation.
Ave: At no time to be called.
E.K. [Kelley]: How then shall we proceed with them?
Ave: When the Earth lieth opened unto your eyes, and when the Angels of Light, shall offer the passages of the Earth, unto the entrance of your senses (chiefly of seeing). Then shall you see the Treasures of the Earth, as you go: And the caves of the Hills shall not be unknown unto you: Unto these, you may say, Arise, be gone, Thou art of destruction and of the places of darknesse: These are provided for the use of man. So shalt thou use the wicked, and no otherwise.
Dee: This is as concerning the natural Mines of the Earth.
Ave: Not so, for they have nothing to do with the natural Mines of the Earth, but, with that which is corrupted with man.
Dee: As concerning the coined they have power to bring it.
Ave: So they may: that they keep, and no other.
Dee: How shall we know what they keep, and what they keep not?
Ave: Read my former words; for thou dost not understand them.
Dee: I read it: beginning at the first line on this side, when the Angels of Light, etc.
Dee: I mean of coined money that they keep not; How shall we do to serve our necessities with it?
Ave: The good Angels are Ministers for that purpose. The Angels of the 4 angles shall make the Earth open unto you, and shall serve your necessities from the 4 parts of the Earth.

- TFR, Page 188

As you can see, this is a pretty clear indication from the Angels in regards to the Cacodaemons. A few pages beforehand, in a prior working, Dee was informed that the Good Angels (the Servient Angels, being of 4 letters) of one Watchtower could find and supply metals, whereas the Evil Angels (the Cacodaemons, being of 2 or 3 letters [3 with the letter from the Tablet of Union]) could find and supply readily coined metal. Obviously this got Dee and Kelley (Kelley especially, I imagine - he was well known for counterfeit coining, and his many requests of the Angels were usually to do with wealth) a little excited. It was clearly a misreading, of course, as the Angels were merely stating that these entities existed, not in the least advocating their use. Indeed, just as one group of Servient Angels may cure sickness and disease, so do the Cacodaemons of that same group bring death and decay, and, as you can imagine, that's not something you'd want to be inviting into your life (and the lives of your loved ones). Dee was so preoccupied with the idea of wealth here that he totally mistook the "deep caverns" of the human mind for the caves and mines of the earth, and did not truly understand the sole practice the Angels would permit in regards to the Cacodaemons - that of binding ("Unto these, you may say, Arise, be gone... So shalt thou use the wicked, and no otherwise").

I hope this answers this question in more detail.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#63 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:07 PM

Ave All,

The next topic to be covered will be the Derivation of Names, which will require multiple posts to complete. I have also been considering something "special" for that part of this class, so if all goes well, that should be a more interesting lesson.

For now, I want to point out something which might help everyone who is a little confused by the 3 letter names, 4 letter names, 5 letter names, etc.:

A Note On The Number Of Letters In Enochian Names

Generally speaking (though, mind you, not always), the less letters there is in an Enochian name, the more "wicked" or "base" it is (i.e. elemental, dense, gross, etc.). Likewise, the more letters there is in an Enochian name, the more spiritual and magickally potent it is.

To illustrate this:

2 Letters: Cacodaemons (without the prefix from the Tablet of Union)
3 Letters: Cacodaemons (with the prefix from the Tablet of Union)
4 Letters: Servient Angels & Kerubim (without prefix - Kerubim, however, always comprise a higher level of authority and spiritual potency, despite them having the same amount of letters as Servient Angels)
5 Letters: Servient Angels & Archkerubim (with prefix from ToU), Command Angels
6 Letters: Call Angels, Ruling Angels
7 Letters: Seniors, Solar Kings (when choosing only one final letter [this will be explained in a subsequent lesson])
8 Letters: Solar Kings (when choosing both final letters)
X Letters: Great Elemental Kings (having substantially more letters than the rest)

The above should give a general indication of how this works, with the more letters increasing the potency and authority of the being in question (just as adding a spiritual aspect to our previous makeup of mental, emotional, and psychical aspects would do for us). This is not a steadfast rule, however, and should only be utilized for grasping the basic concept, not for rigidly defining a being by the number of letters in its name. An example of how this doesn't apply is the Tablet of Union, which has both four letter and five letter names, yet these are higher in status than the four and five letter names of the individual Watchtowers. To understand this we need to recognise that the Tablet of Union is a spiritual table, with the Black Cross that unifies the four Watchtowers representing the four rivers of Eden, being, therefore, highly spiritual in quality. Likewise, the Kerubim lie above each Calvary Cross, being spiritual in essence, whereas the Servient Angels, lying below the cross, would coincide with the four elements of physical creation. This explains why these beings retain the same number of letters, yet differ in potency and authority in the Enochian system.

I hope some of you find this "note" useful. Next I'll show you where all these unusual names come from, and how to find them on the Watchtowers.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#64 Deo Volente

Mater Dei, ora pro nobis

• Gold Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

Grace & Peace!

Fratres Yechidah or Neshamah, forgive the silly request: could you speak to the relationship between language/names/letters and being in the Enochian system? Your recent posts have put me in mind of a couple things, and nowhere else have I seen this relationship between the nature of a being and it's name (not even, necessarily, the meaning of the name, but it's content) so explicit. Except perhaps in the Tetragrammaton.

The things I'm thinking are this:
1--In the primordial myth, Adam is named by God and is completely made--wholly created. Adam names the animals and thereby completes them.
2--The ancient notion that to know a being's true name is to have power over it.
3--I believe it was Marcus' (or was it Marcion's?) vision of Sophia in which she appeared to him as a beautiful woman coverd with the letters of the Greek alphabet and communicated to him by pointing to the letters.
4--The Gospel of Philip's frequent mentioning of the right understanding of names.
5--The Valentinian (or is it Basilidean?) understanding of the arrangement of the Aeons as letters in the name of God.

Perhaps this question goes more to the nature of the alphabet--the "character" of the letters. And how it is that a collection of letters seems to *be* (not merely point to) a discreet being.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!

#65 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

Excellent question, Deo Volente.

Firstly, Enochian is the Language of the Angels. I think it was mentioned by the angels that this was the original language given to Adam, but was taken from them at the time of the Fall. Some people postulate that it was thus the "original" Hebrew, with Hebrew being a lighter version of the divine language that man was allowed to retain. At the time of Dee, it was deemed appropriate that Man be given back this language. So there is a very definite link between these two languages, and both systems of magick are very dependent on the languages that are at their core (with gematria, etc.). In many ways, it's easy to understand the significance of language in terms of animating beings, given that it is said that it was the breath of God that brought Adam to life, and the expulsion of air through the mouth is intrinsically linked with the formation of words. Indeed, we also have the Logos ("Word"), both of Platonist and Christian significance, and language has generally been deified around the world by most cultures (with a god [or angel] responsible for its transmission to man). Indeed, in the Gnostic text, "Thunder, Perfect Mind", there is a line that says "I am the Utterance of my Name", which gives a very strong link between the nature of the name and the nature of the being that is named. This is also why there is such significance behind taking a new name in religious/magickal orders (both esoteric and exoteric), and why such a name should be given a lot of thought beforehand, due to its potency.

In many ways, I feel the Names are the beings, and yet are not (they are just "pointing" to them also). I think it would be too easy to say it is one and not the other, and I don't think that's true to the nature of the language and beings in question.

I hope this answers your question somewhat, though feel free to quiz further. Thank you for pointing out those other instances of where language is so significant :)

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#66 Deo Volente

Mater Dei, ora pro nobis

• Gold Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

Grace & Peace!

Lovely, Frater. Thank you. And thank you for bringing to mind both the Logos and the Thunder (which are, I think, related!).

Re: the names being the being and pointing to the being simultaneously--I think you're right. If a name is a symbol, it must paradoxically make present an absent "thing" while preserving the absence. It both is and is not what it points to.

Again: lovely.

Under the Mercy,
Mark

Deo Gratias!
Gate of Heaven!
Star of the Sea!
Assist your people who have fallen,
Yet strive to rise again!

#67 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

Derivation Of Names, Pt. 1 - Primary Watchtower Angles

[Note: These images are based on those supplied by VVV in his original Enochian primer over at OF a year or so ago. Some of the images in my next post will be the ones he used in that primer, so credit must go to him for his work on them.]

Three-fold Name (Three Holy Names of God)

To get this name, take the central line (the Linea Spiritus Sancti) of the Great Cross of a chosen Watchtower and read from left to right, taking the first 3 letters, then the next 4, then the next 5. To illustrate:

Posted Image

Solar King

To get this name, go to the centre of the Tablet, starting with the fifth square of the Linea Spiritus Sancti (from the left) and go clockwise in the manner shown below. Note that in the original material you would choose only one of the two central squares, depending on whether you wanted to approach through either extreme of Mercy or Severity (as in the two outer pillars of the Qabalah, which I feel highlights how useful Qabalistic knowledge is when it comes to Enochian). I, personally, feel that this overcomplicates this being, and using both letters takes both elements into consideration, giving the whole of the being, rather than just the merciful or severe side. Feel free to use whatever works for you.

Posted Image

Seniors

To get these names, start in one of the two central squares of the Great Cross of a given Tablet and read outward along one of the Linea, until you acquire a seven-letter name. For the two along the Linea Spiritus Sancti, you will require both of the central squares to make up their name, whereas the other four Seniors (along the Linea Patris and Linea Filii) will take only one of these central squares. The following image shows their planetary association:

Posted Image

My next post will deal with the derivation of Enochian names within a sub-Angle. Comments and questions (on this and previous material) are welcome, as ever.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#68 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

Derivation Of Names, Pt. 2 - Sub-Angle Angles

[Note: These images are supplied by VVV, coming from his Enochian Primer a year or so on OF, so credit must go to him for them.]

Call & Command Angels

Posted Image

To get these names, consult the white calvary cross at the centre of a given sub-angle. The vertical name, starting from the top and ending at the bottom, summing 6 letters, is the Call Angel, while the horizontal name, starting from the left and ending at the right, summing 5 letters, is the Command Angel.

Kerubim

Posted Image

To get these names, check the four letters above the cross (on either side of the central white square of the top row) and read from left to right. The other three names can be garnered through the same means by permutating the name, moving one step to the right each time. Permutation will be covered in more depth in a subsequent lecture.

Ruling Angels

Posted Image

To get these names, take a column on either side of the column that grants the name of the Call Angel and read from top to bottom, including the letter from the horizontal line that makes up the name of the Command Angel. This gives four 6-letter names, each of which rules a Servient Angel (or group of four permutated Servient Angels) in turn. This will be explained in full in the permutation lesson.

Servient Angels

Posted Image

To get these names, take the four rows below the row that grants the name of the Command Angel and read from left to right, taking the two letters on either side of the white vertical line that makes up the name of the Call Angel (thereby granting a four-letter Servient Angel name). Like the Kerubim, these names can be permutated, giving 16 in total for each sub-angle. It's important to note, however, that the first Servient Angel is actually the one at the bottom, with the second above it, the third above that, and the fourth above that (just under the white horizontal line of the Command Angel). Some traditions, however, may use it in the opposite formation.

That's it for now. The next post will cover the derivation of Tablet of Union names, with the post after that concentration on permutations, with a few examples.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#69 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

Examples Of Permutation On The Watchtowers

[Note: These images were created by VVV, so credit must go to him on them]

Firstly, here is a Ruling Angel and the four Servient Angels under its rule:

Posted Image

Secondly, here is an imagine showing how these names are permutated, so that the second Ruling Angel rules the four Servient Angels that start with the second letter of the previous Servienti Angels' names.

Posted Image

More examples will be added in due course.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#70 Aunt Clair

• Old Timers
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:00 AM

Neshamah said:

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]ask a question about Enochian Magick
Thank you . What is your group's interpretation of the Great Work ?
Have you completed your own Magnum Opus ? If you have , how do you know this to be true ? Does your order complete the Emerald Tablet too ? If so , what is the Enochian Interpretation of that alchemy ,please ? What works do Enochians believe occur after the Emerald Tablet ? What do you mean by soaring with the Aethyrs ? What realms have you experienced ? What angels have guided you ? What is the reason for the puzzling derived names ? Personally I do not believe that angels interact with humans to bring about the apocalypse . Can you please explain the rationale in that perspective for me , thanks ?Thank you kindly for your indulgence and your offering to share the Enochian approach online .

#71 VVV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Ave,

So many questions... I will attempt to address them as best as I can.

Aunt Clair said:

What is your group's interpretation of the Great Work ? Have you completed your own Magnum Opus ? If you have , how do you know this to be true ?

The Great Work is the continuous, neverending journey of the theurgist. Have I completed it? No... It is a goal that can never be fully realized. The goal only serves as a point of focus to guide you; not a destination to be reached. It would serve you better to think of it as an ongoing process; opposed to a journey which has a beginning and end.

Aunt Clair said:

Does your order complete the Emerald Tablet too ? If so , what is the Enochian Interpretation of that alchemy ,please ?
The emerald tablet has been a source of some of my personal study but I have focused my work in other areas.

Aunt Clair said:

What works do Enochians believe occur after the Emerald Tablet ?
I assume you that by the "Enochians" you are referring to the entities of the system. Once again I do not have much real study in this area. I have focused primarily on exploring the watchtowers, aethyrs, heptarchia and the Sigillum dei Aemeth.

Aunt Clair said:

What do you mean by soaring with the Aethyrs ?
The aethyrs or airs are subtler and subtler veils of reality. They are much like layers of an onion from the most dross (TEX) to the closest to the divine (LIL). If you are familiar, it would be very similar to the qabbalistic pathworking on the Tree of Life.

Aunt Clair said:

What realms have you experienced ?
I have seen the vault of NIA but currently reside in DES. I have also opened and travelled through the watchtowers.

Aunt Clair said:

What angels have guided you ?
Aside from the many qabbalistic angels and speaking of purely enochian entities I could not list them all;but I have dealt with cacodaemons, seniors and solar kings all the way up to the great elemental kings ( currently on the third such operation, that of fire ). I have also dealt with various governors and wardens of the aethyrs that I have travelled; of which LIXIPSP in BAG stands out the most.

Aunt Clair said:

What is the reason for the puzzling derived names ?
I do not quite follow your question here.

Aunt Clair said:

Personally I do not believe that angels interact with humans to bring about the apocalypse . Can you please explain the rationale in that perspective for me , thanks ?
Once again as was discussed at length earlier "apocolypse" is a "revealing". Much as winter ( death ) makes way for Spring ( birth ) an apocolypse is also the harbinger of another age of humanity.

I hope this helps some.

VVV (210/3)
"The Cup never empties nor fills"

#72 080

• Old Timers
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

VVV said:

The aethyrs or airs are subtler and subtler veils of reality. They are much like layers of an onion from the most dross (TEX) to the closest to the divine (LIL). If you are familiar, it would be very similar to the qabbalistic pathworking on the Tree of Life.

i thought that the Liber Scientiae suggests that the Aethyrs are in some way the "astral bodies" of the geographic nations of the Earth (hence their value to the political magics that Dee was seeking to achieve). if that tis the case: just as it seems arbitrary to say that Crete us more dross than Egypt, it seems arbitrary to say that TEX or more dross than LIL. the only material that i've seen that refers to the Aethyrs as "layered" is based on the the Golden Dawn papers (which were themselves based on limited original materials and a particular hierachical/reductionist mind set). is there anything in Dees original documents that supports a hierachical view of the Aethyrs.

i am also curious as to why you have used the word Dross. i just looked it up in my dictionary and the word is strongly associated with scum, waste, refuse. would you similarly consider Tiphareth more dross than Geburah?

VVV said:

I do not quite follow your question here

i can't speak for Aunt Clair, but i believe her question may relate to you explanation for why the tablets have been encoded so that the names need to be read in certain directions and sequences. if you do consider the names as formulae, rather than names in the conventional sense, what is indicated by shared elements and permutation?

for instance, by way of explanation perhaps you explain the relationships within part of the tablet of Water of Water: Governor DOXMAEl of TEX, the Water Senior LAOAXRP and the Water of Water Kerubic Angels TDIM, DIMT, IMTD and MTDI, etc.

#73 Aunt Clair

• Old Timers
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

VVV said:

So many questions... I will attempt to address them as best as I can.
Thank you kindly for your comsidered replies and for your time . I appreciate this and I learned from you something about your approach .

The Great Work is the continuous, neverending journey of the theurgist. Have I completed it? No... It is a goal that can never be fully realized. The goal only serves as a point of focus to guide you; not a destination to be reached.
I agree that the path is infinite and eternal . "It is the journey and not the destination ." But imho , the Magnum Opus is the creation of Amoris a golden sun fire element clairvoyantly witnessed in the human energy body .The Opus Minus is the creation of Akasha a silver coloured moon water element . These elements will manifest higher vibration alchemical structures in the human energy body allowing for greater clairience and projection to further realms . These are attainable and have become evident in magicians .

I do not quite follow your question here.
I regret not being clear. O80 is correct , that is what I meant to ask . Thank you .

#74 Frater Yechidah

• Old Timers
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Prefixing Names

In Enochian, a name from an "elemental" portion of the Tablets is often prefixed by a letter from the Tablet of Union, which, in a sense, puts it under the rulership of Spirit. This often takes the "edge" off certain elemental energies, making them less chaotic or "base", and is particularly advised for working with Cacodaemons (though working with these is usually advanced material).

Prefixing names is often a confusing business, but I don't believe it has to be. Thus, here is my simplified instructions for prefixing names in a given Watchtower, using that of Air (ORO) as an example:

Posted Image

So, firstly we take the Horizontal Elemental Name of Air from the ToU: EXARP. This is the only name we use for prefixing on the Air tablet. The Kerubic Angels, whose names are above the Calvary Cross in each sub-angle are Spirit beings (however elementally biased they may be) and thus always take the Spirit letter of the Elemental Name - i.e. E in this case. Then the rest of the letters are taken in order and attributed to the Servient Angels of each sub-angle in the order of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire.

E is Spirit of Air
X is Air of Air
A is Water of Air
R is Earth of Air
P is Fire of Air

If we take the Kerubic Angel of the Air of Air sub-angle, RZLA, we would prefix it with E - thus, ERZLA.

If we take the Servient Angel of CZNS in the Air of Air sub-angle, we would prefix it with X - thus, XCZNS. This likewise applies for all the other Servient Angels in this sub-angle, and even the permutations of them (i.e. XZNSC, etc.).

If we use the Watchtower of Water (MPH), we would use the name HCOMA to prefix, and likewise for the others.

I hope this makes this seemingly complicated part of a complex system a little easier to understand.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.

#75 Dav0r

• Old Timers
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

I've been following this, and it's been a month. I was wondering if there's any more, or if it will continue further, or what? I know I've not asked many questions, but I can't think of any. I still would like to see it continue if it's not done. :confused:

VVVVVVVVVVV[so I don't have to make another post]

thank you very much

#76 Theosophist

Thelemic Rosicrucian

• Gold Member
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hey Dav0r,

I do plan to go over the Aethyrs at some point. I have so much "on my plate" right now that it isn't even funny, but I will get back to this.

I will go over the Aethyrs in general and how they compare to the Tree of Life, etc. Just bear with me a few more days.

Thank you for your continued interest,

Neshamah
Neshamah, F.'.R.'.C.'.

"You are a spiritual being having a human experience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

#77 Frater SI

• Old Timers
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi Everyone I know there was a lot of Interest in this class please note it has been updated and moved here
http://www.evocationmagic.com
The Forum Dedicated to Enochian And Magical Evocation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users