- - - - -

Concerning Name Changes

11 replies to this topic

#1 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

For new members with a typo (uncapped names, transposed letters, etc) I may, if asked nicely, correct their spelling. Though, I will not normally grant actual name changes (from one name to something completely different). I will, however, allow a Gold Member to have a single name change. This means, if you are not a gold member and would like your name changed, then you’ll need to make at least a $5 donation to the site. As it places a strain on the server as the name and profile tables are rebuilt. Not to mention the confusion it generally causes. For example, do you know who the Moderator Cypher Grey is? (Hint: he was chalis)
Q

#2 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

This seriously needs a bump.

On a related note, anyone creating a second account to get a name change runs the risk of getting BOTH accounts banned.

Those that have already done this can get their accounts merged with their first accounts if they so desire. They can get their accounts merged with their second account as well, but the rules for the name change will apply.

Also note, with the new custom title option, that's the best method for getting in that $5

#3 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

The payment system is currently FUBAR, if you would like a name change, feel free to follow the instructions in the becoming a gold member thread or you can pay me directly ($5) through paypal (credit cards accepted) at qryztufre@gmail.com

Thank you

#4 Jag Alaryn

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

So, I can't delete my account and I can't change my name without paying?

I inadvertently used my "real name" and now my profile on here is ranking high on search results for my name. This wouldn't bother me aside from the fact that it might turn off some of my potential clients and employers who don't share my spiritual and occult interests.

I guess it was my own stupid mistake but is there really no other option other than to cough up five bucks?

I've never seen this on all the other forums I frequent.

#5 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

These are general guidelines. Naturally, we can and will consider particular instances on a case-by-case basis. Thanks for mentioning you particular circumstances, because it's an example of the sort of thing that can happen by accident that we are generally happy to help with.

Please message Voidgazing or Curious Cat if you wish to request a change.

However, the overall policy is that we don't change names without compelling reason, in order to let us have a few perks we can offer to members who help with the expense of maintaining the forums.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#6 voidgazing

• Owner
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yeah that's normally a vanity thing- you were SooperWizzard95 and suddenly realize you should have been MagicBusDriver all along. In your case, we'll just do it.
This is a postcard sent from the dining room of the HMS Russel's Teapot. Wish you were here- the band is spot on tonight, and we're having "all the way down" turtle soup!

#7 Morrigan

(>'o')> MAGIC <('o'<)

• Administrator
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationWandering the coast

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

View Postvoidgazing, on 27 December 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Yeah that's normally a vanity thing- you were SooperWizzard95 and suddenly realize you should have been MagicBusDriver all along. In your case, we'll just do it.

See, this here is why I love this joint.
Cast Wide the Circle: Place for my musings and the occasional book review.
The Art of Stealing Fire : My Online Magical Journal
Big mountain, wide river
There's an ancient pull
These tree trunks, these stream beds
Leave our bellies full
They sing out I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down
I am going to stand my ground
You rise to me and I'll blow you down

#8 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostCaliban, on 27 December 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

These are general guidelines. Naturally, we can and will consider particular instances on a case-by-case basis. Thanks for mentioning you particular circumstances, because it's an example of the sort of thing that can happen by accident that we are generally happy to help with.

Please message Voidgazing or Curious Cat if you wish to request a change.

However, the overall policy is that we don't change names without compelling reason, in order to let us have a few perks we can offer to members who help with the expense of maintaining the forums.

Caliban is right...

Signing up with Facebook can be a bother sometimes making you show up with your real name. I don't have an issue with name changes in such a case, but if that is the case please contact an admin ASAP so that you can get it changed before it causes confusion (which is the biggest reason for this rule).

#9 Thefifthlord

• Old Timers
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostQryztufre, on 01 April 2007 - 12:31 AM, said:

As it places a strain on the server as the name and profile tables are rebuilt.
Q

Tables rebuilt? No such thing is done(unless you're running innodb.. if so why??), that particular user's row is simply replaced. A query that should take no more than 0.5 secs if even that.
When all is said and done all that is left is emptyness and thought. Should you put all your effort into this carnal life which will you be?

https://www.youtube....h?v=w9b_rMVspZk

#10 Caliban

rough beast

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I have no idea how it works now, but look at the date on the post that you quote. That was a long time ago, and OC has been through many changes of supporting software et cetera since. Avoiding confusion is the main concern.

Edited by Caliban, 31 December 2012 - 08:30 AM.

"There is a crack, a crack through everything. That is how the light gets in." -- Leonard Cohen

#11 HelloKitty

• Old Timers
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostQryztufre, on 04 October 2010 - 09:22 PM, said:

This seriously needs a bump.

On a related note, anyone creating a second account to get a name change runs the risk of getting BOTH accounts banned.

Those that have already done this can get their accounts merged with their first accounts if they so desire. They can get their accounts merged with their second account as well, but the rules for the name change will apply.

Also note, with the new custom title option, that's the best method for getting in that $5

It's really nice to know this ^^;;

#12 Qryztufre

Administrator

• Owner
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

While running vBulletin it was a rather long process that involved not just changing the name, but running some script or another which took entirely too long. I do not know what all is involved on IPS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users