- - - - -

Satanism Faq

28 replies to this topic

#21 m1thr0s

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

I'd suggest that "fervor" is a mischaracterization.

Also I think

http://www.xeper.org...._satanism.html

was a pretty compelling "So long and thanks for all the fish." He even left a decent parting prize for the field with

http://www.chaosmatr..../whatsatn.html
well...thanks for the article links but I don't see the power in these arguments. As usual, Webb is doing everything he can to confine the term Satanism to LaVey and whatever hubub surrounds LaVey directly. If that's as far as the eye can see, then certainly Setianism looks pretty sophisticated in relation, but it's a skewed argument from the outset since only the Church of Satan begins with LaVey...Satanism itself is much older and much bigger than that...Institutional Satanism and Philosophical Satanism are simply not the same thing and even Lavey hammers on this point over and over again.

What isolated little hubs might debate amongst themselves does not really very much impact the world at large. Satanism isn't really growing at the rate it is because of LaVey...it's actually growing in spite of him. It is a global response to a more global sense of what this term really means and neither LaVey nor Webb have their fingers on this pulse at all but are simply dealing within the confines of their own narrow, self-serving definitions. In the final analysis, nobody really cares. Satanism goes on quite well enough with or without them. It is defining and redefining itself constantly. Satanism is ultimately a much broader context than Setianism simply because there is no reliable *character* called Satan...you can't substantiate it...it never happened...no one even really knows what it is supposed to look like! It was all a fabrication...yet the power underscoring this term lives on. Satan is an idea and a force underscoring an idea.

To a Satanist Set is just one of many of Satan's faces. To a Setian Set and Satan are mostly irreconcileable. The difference has nothing to do with Satan's association to "rebellion". Setians have elected to lock into a character called Set...Satanists have elected not to. You can debate these things until you're blue in the face but in the meantime Satanism will continue to be mutating in leaps and bounds. Because it is not locked into any pre-established patterns it can go anywhere it needs to.

m1thr0s
Posted Image

#22 deviadah

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

KaosElemental said:

*grins* Yeah I never thought about that , really, how true :P

Also one has to remember that Christianity is just a system to rule, that is after it was adopted to be such a system, and if you have a ruler you need to express opinions on all those areas that might threaten your rule; Satanism/Luciferianism is one such area.

This is also a funny point in the Bible by the way:

How the serpent came to be in the garden of the Lord after God had declared that all creatures which He had made during the six days of creation were good has not been satisfactorily answered by the interpreters of the Scriptures.” - Manly P. Hall [italics mine]

----------------------------------------
Posted Image
United we sleep, divided we dream! :cool:

#23 Ophidia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

First off, a big Thank You to Satanic One for posting the FAQ, I'm sooo glad to finally read a correct and complete account of Satanism (complete at least in so far as it acknowledges there are many different branches even if they're not all explained in detail) - and so sick of LaVeyans claiming their ideology was the only thing to be called Satanism, and generalizations like "Satanists do NOT worship Satan" - myself I feel compelled to ask, why should they call themselves Satanists then? Would someone who does *not* worship Christ be called a Christian?

I personally would prefer it if the LaVeyan ideology would always be called LaVeyan Suitheism only and not Satanism at all, but I can see that after all those years this can't happen. I'm not even sure if LaVey himself claimed the term Satanism exclusively for his own views, but a great number of his followers do it nowadays, and as a Satanist of the old-fashioned ways it angers me that when I try to search information about Satanism, 95% of what pops up is LaVeyan, and traditional forms of Satanism are apparently non-existent!
I was looking for a long time for some sort of forum like this, with well-informed and open-minded people. Myself I'm a tolerant person, too, as long as met with tolerance myself, and I can generally accept LaVeyans, too, but what I can't accept is people who deem their own way of thinking the only right one and everyone else being wrong. Like a LaVeyan who once sent me an add request on Myspace; looking at his page I found a blog in which he related how disappointed he is about the suicide of a friend of his because "there is only this one life we have" - well, for him maybe, but not necessarily for his friend!? Needless to say that I denied the add request.

To me, Satanism generally is all about freedom, and isn't suicide a decision everyone should have the freedom to choose, too? That goes also for the human or animal sacrifices as far as I'm concerned. I haven't done anything of this kind but I see no reason why to deny that there may be certain Satanists who practice it, and in history there have most likely been such because I've seen accounts of it. Many such accounts may be made up by Christians, but certainly not all. I can well remember the time as a child when I thought if I want to be a Satanist I have to turn all Christian standards to their reverse, and that eventually I'll also have to kill when I'm older in order to break that commandment... In history I'm sure there must have been people who thought that way, too.

This Serpentine Creed, the force that I wield
Against the shackles of Creation: my Master's sword & shield!

#24 enelesmada

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Ophidia said:

Would someone who does *not* worship Christ be called a Christian?

...and traditional forms of Satanism are apparently non-existent!

To me, Satanism generally is all about freedom, and isn't suicide a decision everyone should have the freedom to choose, too? That goes also for the human or animal sacrifices as far as I'm concerned.

Well, yes. There are many who refer to themselves christians, jews, protestants or what-have-you without necessarily subscribing to those tenets. It's often a vague cultural or familial classification.

There are traditional forms of Satanism...I've posted links elsewhere. If you want diversity of information, check out:

http://au.groups.yah...up/Sinister101/

Indeed...we should all take charge of our lives, and of our deaths. I'd sooner be an active participant in my own destruction, and meet death on my own terms than be felled by a wasting disease, senility, obsolescence, poverty or dishonour. All that stands between us and our desires is the necessary will.

#25 ofnature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

"Christians, Islamics, and Mormons "

Mormons are Christian

#26 Spraypaint

Still Posting

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

Speaking of LaVey, how does a ritual set up (altar and all) for a solo practitioner look and work?

I know, not the best question but I keep reading and re-reading the book and I am simply just not getting it :(
No longer posting

Pray and Know that the world is Good. Do penitential rites and cleansings. Make yourself pure and humble. After that, then most of your dross will be swept away by Divine Joy.
wren

#27 Steven Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

It kinda seems to me like Laveyan Satanism is just common sense soaked in LHP.

#28 Oriax

• Old Timers
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAfrica

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

This might be of interest

A Demographic of Satanists:
Link 1 (PDF)
or
Link 2 (Webpage)

Which I found through Venus Satanas Website

#29 Killdawn666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

There is also spiritual Or theistic satanas that believe is Satan and his demons as real beings and entities. So by saying satanism all together is just a philolosphy is false only levay satanism is a philolosphy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users