Talismans

70 replies to this topic

#61 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Cavalier said:

The theory of sympathy suggests that the materials do matter. Virgin parchment is thus inherently inferior because it it has no sympathy, but it is way better than just computer paper. The more sympathy you use, the better it works. It's a cumulative thing.

My experience corroborates this. The most effective talismans I ever produced were constructed with multiple levels of sympathy in mind. They were talismans of Jupiter made and consecrated during the Hour of Jupiter on the Day of Jupiter with the symbols drawn in blue ink (colour of Jupiter) and the talisman placed above a piece of amethyst (stone of Jupiter) on an Altar surrounded by several letter Kaphs (Hebrew letter of Jupiter), Sigils of Jupiter, and Sigils of the Intelligence and Archangel of Jupiter. They were additionally charged using Invoking Hexagrams of Jupiter.

These talismans were drawn in blue marker on cardboard. The cardboard was, however, obtained in a school where I teach and Jupiter is associated with education, which adds another layer of sympathy to the talisman.

Take care,
Adam

Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

Light in Extension, an online Magical Journal

#62 O. Delano

• Old Timers
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

Adam, your description of the way you construct your talismans really interests me.

Philosophadam said:

--In the front side ring: 2 Invoking Hexagrams of the Planet of the Talisman (one at top center, one at bottom center) and a verse from the Bible or another poetic source that is in line with the targeted purpose of the Talisman)
--In the back side ring: 4 Invoking Hexagrams of the Planet of the Talisman (at each of the four quarters of the ring) and the Great Word ARARITA written in Hebrew between each of the two Hexagrams.

My first question is, why this particular arrangement?

Philosophadam said:

In the circle within the ring, on the front side, I draw an equal-armed cross that divides the front of the talisman in four. In here, I put a number of things:
--Top left quadrant: the Seal of the Planet, sometimes with the Hebrew letters of a god name integrated (e.g. YHVH)
--Top right quadrant: the Divine Name associated with the Planet in Hebrew
--Bottom left quadrant: The Sigil of the Intelligence of the Planet
--Bottom right quadrant: The Sigil of the Archangel of the Planet.

I like this, but I wonder why it's arranged this way? I don't think it's wrong or anything; I'm just curious about the rationale behind the way you construct yours.

For example, is there a specific reason the divine name is in the top right quadrant and the sigil of the intelligence in the bottom left? Why not a different order? Was it just born out of an asthetic sense?

Philosophadam said:

In the circle within the ring on the back side, I draw the Magical Number Square of the Planet (see Agrippa).
--Right above the Square, I write the total of all of the numbers on the square.
--Below it, I write the total of all of the numbers in one row of the square.
--To the right of the square, I draw the sigil of the planet.
--To the left of the square, I draw a symbolic image associated with the intent of the talisman.

I'm intensely curious as to why you place the square's total above it, and the row total below it?

Also, what kind of symbolic image of your intent? Do you ever use sigils made from the intent here?

And my last question about your method of construction: Where did you learn this from? Was there a particular source or did you develop it yourself? If it's from an external source I think I'm going to research it myself.

Philosophadam said:

To charge:
--I make the Talisman during the Planetary Day and Hour of the Planet
--I invoke the energies of the Planet and project them into the talisman while vibrating the Divine Name associated with it (a number of times corresponding to the number of the Planet)
--I invoke the Archangel of the Planet and the Intelligence of the Planet and ask them to empower the talisman with the energies of the Planet
--I pray to the Lord of the Universe asking Him to empower the talisman and help it to accomplish its determined function in order to bring about good on the earth and in accordance with the Divine Will

Now, with your method of charging, when you said that you invoke the energies of the Planet, how do you usually go about this? Do you do some kind of invocation? I know that the Middle Pillar is often used to charge talismans; does this factor into your method of charging?

Overall, I really like the method you've posted. It seems really solid and I think I may give it a shot. :P
Ocean Delano

Turning the Magic Around <---My Blog

#63 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

O. Delano said:

I like this, but I wonder why it's arranged this way? I don't think it's wrong or anything; I'm just curious about the rationale behind the way you construct yours.
For example, is there a specific reason the divine name is in the top right quadrant and the sigil of the intelligence in the bottom left? Why not a different order? Was it just born out of an asthetic sense?

The arrangement is founded on an ordering principle of balance; the planetary Seal is balanced with the God Name of the Planet and the Sigil of the Intelligence of the Planet is balanced with the Sigil of the Archangel of that Planet. All of these four quadrants are united by the equal-armed cross to from the nexus of 'anchors' for the Planet's force within the talisman, which is encircled by the ring with the invoking Hexagrams, ARARITAs, and relevant verse to buttress this focusing of Planetary influence. The number of Invoking Hexagrams in the ring could vary with the nature of the talisman; one thing I intend to try is to draw a number of Invoking Hexagrams that corresponds to the Number associated with the Planet as a way of adding another layer of sympathy to the talisman.

I'm intensely curious as to why you place the square's total above it, and the row total below it?

This was a traditional custom that I adopted; I encountered it in an old book on talismanic magic, though I sadly can't recall which it was. I place the total on top since the total is the collection of all of the numerical values of the Square. I place the row value beneath the square since, while important, it has less of a summative importance than the total.

Also, what kind of symbolic image of your intent? Do you ever use sigils made from the intent here?

For example, on a Jupiter talisman designed to attract wealth (for the necessities of life) and abundance, I might draw two shafts of wheat. For a Venus talisman, I might draw a Heart. A sigil from the Statement of Intent could also serve the same symbolic purpose, though I have not tried that so far.

And my last question about your method of construction: Where did you learn this from? Was there a particular source or did you develop it yourself? If it's from an external source I think I'm going to research it myself.

It's based on a combination of the methods for constructing talismans given in Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy and the Greater Key of Solomon combined with some of the rationales of the Golden Dawn's system (e.g. the use of Invoking Hexagrams of particular Planets and the symbolic figuring of the Hexagram ritual in the four invoking Hexagrams and the Four instances of ARARITA). I developed this method of talismanic magic, synthesizing these systems, for the Ordo Aurum Lucerna (Order of the Golden Lantern). So far, it has never produced a failed or unsuccessful talisman.

Now, with your method of charging, when you said that you invoke the energies of the Planet, how do you usually go about this? Do you do some kind of invocation? I know that the Middle Pillar is often used to charge talismans; does this factor into your method of charging?

The method I devised for this is a secret of the O.'.A.'.L.'. that I can't fully reveal here. I can, however, say that the energy used for the charging is raised through a combination of the Middle Pillar Ritual and the Ritual of the Hexagram invoking the Planet of the talisman in all four quarters via the appropriate Invoking Hexagram. This energy is thus directed into the talisman after having been drawn into the Temple.

Overall, I really like the method you've posted. It seems really solid and I think I may give it a shot. :P

Thanks for the kind words; I hope you find it useful. :)

Take care,
Adam

Frater S.C.F.V.

"People mostly turn to [non-theurgic] magic for three purposes, or combinations thereof: love, prosperity and revenge, or to get laid, get rich or get even." --Caliban

If you're seeking a set of the most cost-efficient Enochian Tabletson the internet or occult-related clothing feel free to visit my online Albiegnus Occult Shop .

#64 Prytok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

I have been reading this thread and studying talismans for the last three days and I find it very intriguing to say the least. I am not completely sure what you mean by "sympathy" as "ads layers of sympathy". Also how does one figure out when it is best to create a talisman? I know that, as an example, that Jupiter's day is Thursday and I have found a time table that relates to this. But how does one figure out the best astrological time to make the talisman? Also is the time table GMT or do I go with my PMT as I live on the west coast? Does anyone know when is the next best time to create a Jupiter Talisman by the way?

#65 AEternitas

• Old Timers
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

SO far as concerns "sympathies" between items or ideas, I would like to point out that just about all of these sympathies are perceived, they don't represent an actual connection outside of our perceptions and our consciousness. Roots have no actual connection to the Moon but they correspond via Yesod the foundation as an example. As another example, tin shares no actual connection too Jupiter, but the perceived sympathy comes from the molecular structure of the metal, which corresponds to Jupiter nad it's associations with the number 4.
A piece of cardboard painted in "sympathetic" colors is ging to be just as effective as if you made a solar talisman out of gold, except that it being made of gold may make it a more prized object but that is a side matter.

#66 AEternitas

• Old Timers
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Prytok said:

I have been reading this thread and studying talismans for the last three days and I find it very intriguing to say the least. I am not completely sure what you mean by "sympathy" as "ads layers of sympathy". Also how does one figure out when it is best to create a talisman? I know that, as an example, that Jupiter's day is Thursday and I have found a time table that relates to this. But how does one figure out the best astrological time to make the talisman? Also is the time table GMT or do I go with my PMT as I live on the west coast? Does anyone know when is the next best time to create a Jupiter Talisman by the way?

The charts of planetary hours don't go by time zones or astrology. The length of the hours and the times with which they fall depends on the length of daylight hours. As a rule the first "hour" after sunrise is the hour of the planet of the day.
So, consulting an ephemeris, you would look for a time when Jupiter will be in either Sagittarius or Pisces, then check the planetary days & hours to see if this will coincide with the astrological phenomena. But keep in mind that the Planetary days and hours are much more arbitrary than astrological considerations.

#67 AEternitas

• Old Timers
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Paper, of any kind, has it's "sympathies" in that it is used for that most sacred art, writing. Thus whether made of papyrus or parchment or cotton or trees, it is by virtue sacred to that god of magic=Mercury and is thus acceptable for use in talismanic magic.

#68 Imperial Arts

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationBigfoot's Neighbor

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

I used to wonder why Jupiter had a relatively worthless metal like tin ascribed to it by tradition. My family on my maternal grandfather's side were tin smiths by trade, and I got to learn a lot about the stuff. You can make almost anything from tin. You can make boxes, hinges, air ducts, generally anything ordinary that you are supposed to use. It isn't to be kept for the sake of its value, hoarded like gold or silver, but it's best when put to use making life easier. That's the power of Jupiter in talismans.

A few more connections are also available for the curious theorist. Jupiter being a god of weather and the skies, his metal (tin) is used to make weather-vanes. A weather-vane gives you a sense of direction and a glimpse of what might be on the way. Tin is dull at first, but becomes shiny when polished. It can hold its shape, but you can shape it however you want, giving it freedom and reliability. Most interesting to me was the discovery that in polishing precious things like gems, gold, and silver, tin oxide is one of the more common polishing compounds.

Oddly enough, despite years of insistence on following every aspect of tradition when in pursuit of magic, I once made a Key of Solomon solar talisman on a piece of white paper with a new yellow Crayola marker. The person for whom it was made was immediately released from jail after a veritable crime spree, and was never requested to appear at court for any reason. No explanations were offered by the courts or the police, but I count is a success and from this and other observations I am convinced that the rules of talismans are flexible.

#69 alkeides

• Old Timers
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

In addition to its usefulness, tin also is a relatively rare metal compared to iron or copper; the evidence for ancient tin deposits around the Near East, whose inhabitants largely formulated the attributions, is inconclusive -- most of the tin there during the Bronze Age was probably imported at high prices.

#70 Adamantium

The Lantern Bearer

• Gold Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:11 AM

Prytok said:

The best time for creating and consecrating a Jupiter talisman according to my own experience is either during the Hour of Jupiter on the Day of Jupiter or during the hour of Mercury on the Day of Mercury (the Greater Key of Solomon recommends the latter for the consecration of all talismans, though I like to use the planetary hours and days). If you're really good at astrology, the optimal time would be when Jupiter is in its exaltation or the sign it rules and the moon is waxing, though our astrological adept Tolka can tell you more about how to pinpoint that than I can. The next best time is the closest hour to a Jupiter hour on the Day of Jupiter (Thursday). The next best time after that is any time on a Thursday. The next best time after that is during the hour of Jupiter on any other day.

As for sympathy, by this is meant a connection based on shared qualities or correspondences. The theory of sympathetic magic holds that the more sympathies you can bring together during an operation, the more powerful and efficacious it will be. Other magicians are content to use only a few sympathetic objects, but I like to really maximize the sympathetic connections in order to be sure of the effectiveness of the operation. For example, an ideal Jupiter talisman consecration for me would involve carving the pentacle into tin, with plants and stones sacred to Jupiter on the altar, as well as using blue, the Hebrew letter associated with Jupiter, invocations of the Archangel of Jupiter, Olympic Spirit of Jupiter, and Intelligence of Jupiter, using the Invoking Ritual of the Hexagram with Invoking Hexagrams of Jupiter, and projecting Jupiter energies into the talisman a number of times associated with Jupiter while vibrating the Divine Name associated with Jupiter. I would also have blue candles on the altar for a Jupiter ceremony. This sort of ceremony usually takes me 2 hours or so, though I do not usually have all of the sympathetic objects I would like to have, so I simply use what I do have.

As a final tip, you can calculate planetary hours online using this site; use the location in which you are performing the working. You can also use the free program ChronosXP, though if you do, be sure to reset it to your location each time you do it so you don`t accidentally get the hours for the wrong location.

Take care,
Adam

Frater S.C.F.V.

#71 TOLKA

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

alkeides said:

In addition to its usefulness, tin also is a relatively rare metal compared to iron or copper; the evidence for ancient tin deposits around the Near East, whose inhabitants largely formulated the attributions, is inconclusive -- most of the tin there during the Bronze Age was probably imported at high prices.

Indeed. I don't know much of the values when associations were being finalised but in around 10,000ad where some of the earlier grimoires were probably being put together Tin actually rivalled the price of Gold. It was valued so highly because of its rarity and use in the making of Bronze.
Jupiter was associated with royalty and only the Luminaries recieved richer metals.
Cast a spell using professional Astrology
Visit MY BLOG
http://ashbracken-to...s.blogspot.com/
MY FORUM
http://advancedmagic...m.org/index.php

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users