* * * * * 4 votes

The Sound Of Music

882 replies to this topic

#1 Appalachian Crone

Q's Wife

• Owner
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:09 AM

What are you listening to? What are some of your favorites? If you could suggest ONE CD you feel EVERYONE should listen to once or have in their library....what would it be?

I am that Columbine!

#2 Mmothra

Mahasiddha Trainee

• Moderators
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Oh boy, my favorite topic.

Right now I am obsessing over 60's-styled garage punk...Milkshakes, The Mummies, Thee Headcoats, etc. I am needing rough-edged primitivism right now, I guess.

Posted Image

#3 Alexander

Founder

• Founder
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

Forest Breath said:

What are you listening to? What are some of your favorites? If you could suggest ONE CD you feel EVERYONE should listen to once or have in their library....what would it be?

Of course it would be the first cd from the amazing Canadian duo, MYTHOS :)
followed by Brule's cd STAR PEOPLE.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" It makes absolutely no difference
what people think of you."
Rumi, 'We Are Three', Mathnawi VI, 831-845

"Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life. "
Buddha

The avatar you see is a photo of the stone Celtic cross at The Iona Abbey on the isle of Iona Scotland. It has stood for over 1,200 years.

#4 Stritheil

Founder

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

Ask me to name one particular CD that everyone should have, and my answer will vary from day to day. Today, I would say "Solace" by Sarah McLachlan.

#5 Alexander

Founder

• Founder
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:55 AM

Stritheil said:

Ask me to name one particular CD that everyone should have, and my answer will vary from day to day. Today, I would say "Solace" by Sarah McLachlan.

Does that cd have " Will You Remeber Me " on it ?

"Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life. "
Buddha

The avatar you see is a photo of the stone Celtic cross at The Iona Abbey on the isle of Iona Scotland. It has stood for over 1,200 years.

#6 Mr. Gordo

Old School

• Board of Directors
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:20 AM

Kenotic - Hammock

shoeshine/ambient music

Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra

#7 Stritheil

Founder

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

Alexander said:

Does that cd have " Will You Remeber Me " on it ?

No. I think that song is only on some of her limited edition cds (Afterglow Live, Mirrorball (Limited Edition) and Rarities, B-Sides and Other Good Stuff).

#8 Alexander

Founder

• Founder
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:47 AM

I saw her in the AFTERGLOW concert and she sang it, great !

Buddha

#9 sen

laughing god

• Moderators
  • 1,460 posts
  • Locationthe middlemarches

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:49 AM

Last week, I was listening to Enya, Vivaldi, orchestrated music from "The Legend of Zelda", and music from "The Lord of the Rings" soundtrack.

This week, I've been listening to Sarah McLachlan and Alanis Morisette.

Next week, I may very well return to listening to buddhist chanting. Perhaps I'll listen to my Kodo CD again.

Posted Image

If I were to recommend one CD for everyone to have in their collection, I would recommend the album "Poem" by Delerium.

i love being god; it's my favourite hobby

#10 AetherManas

Temporally Inconsistent

• Ex-mods
  • 237 posts
  • LocationHighland Park, NJ

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

What are you listening to?
[INDENT]Posted Image
[/INDENT]

What are some of your favorites?
[INDENT]Posted Image
[/INDENT]

If you could suggest ONE CD you feel EVERYONE should listen to once or have in their library....what would it be?
[INDENT]Ouch. Umm.. I'd say a collection of Chopin. He needs more appreciation.
Edit: :eek: What am I saying?! Something by Lydia Kavina would be much more fun. [/INDENT]

#11 Appalachian Crone

Q's Wife

• Owner
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:44 AM

Right now I am listening to Mythos

Some of my favs are Mythos, Brule', Douglas Spotted Eagle, Sheila Chandra, Ceridwen, Enya, and Nakai

I am that Columbine!

#12 soulmetal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

heh, much against the trend of this thread am I:

One CD everyone should listen to: Dying Fetus - Destroy The Opposition (www.myspace.com/dyingfetus)

Lately my favourites are Misery, Limb From Limb, Excruciate, Decapitated, Embedded, Lamb of God, Misery Index, Gojira, Drudkh, Automation, Biolich, Arsis, Emeth.....etc

For my band guys, have a look/listen to: www.myspace.com/malaclypseband

#13 Gorzakk

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Here are 2 songs, with accompanying videos on youtube. The band is Rammstein, a German heavy metal band, and their stuff is as unusual as it is good.

This first is one for you wolf lovers out there. Very imaginitive video, the song is actually about the sense of smell and a mans obsession with it, and a woman whos scent he picks up. Here you go.

This next the video Sonne. I am sure a lot of people will already know it, its the Snow White themed one, but with an evil Snow White. Enjoy.

#14 Mmothra

Mahasiddha Trainee

• Moderators
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

Now playing:

Black Lips: Let It Bloom

Posted Image

#15 vulnera

Hadak Útja

• Ex-mods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

mickey hart radio "drumsounds and their meanings" (courtesy of smithsonian global sound)

click the radio icon thingie on the lower right side to listen to over an hour worth of really killer world music...

http://www.smithsoni...rchives_07.aspx

10 extra credit points to anyone who can figure out which song my band already covers...

#16 Appalachian Crone

Q's Wife

• Owner
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

Paul Winter.....

Prayer For The Wild Things....

I think this has to be one of his most beautiful CD's. It was the first one I bought of his and soon after bought every single one he had done! Good Stuff!

I am that Columbine!

#17 sen

laughing god

• Moderators
  • 1,460 posts
  • Locationthe middlemarches

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

I was just introduced to a group out of Singapore called Force Vomit who have a great sound. Whee!

i love being god; it's my favourite hobby

#18 Zazzen

Edited

• Gold Member
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

Currently listening to an unreleased demo by Dymons (a.k.a Daniel Symons). www.dymons.com

Psychedelic dub of the highest craft...
Edited

#19 River

Advisor

• Gold Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

I was recently introduced to Loreena Mckennitt's Book of Secrets - and I love it! :D

#20 Dav0r

• Old Timers
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Currently listening to She Wants Revenge with their song Tear You Apart and was previously listening to Slipknot with The Heretic Anthem. Before that was a band called Greenskeepers with their song The Lotion Song. That can be found on youtube also btw. It's pretty funny if you like Silence of the Lambs.

Anyway, some of my favorites are Garbage, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Poe, and Electric Six.

A cd I'd suggest is Poe's "Haunted" because it goes with the book the lead singer's brother wrote called "House Of Leaves," which is a very VERY good book imo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users