- - - - -

What are the key skills of the Magickian and why?

74 replies to this topic

#61 Hypocriteuniversal

• Old Timers
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:42 AM

voidgazing said:

For me there was a really long period between "holy crap I've got a sixth sense" and "I successfully caused a thing to happen" and "OK I get it now."

Zomg, totally remember that. Story time.

I was on 14 hits of acid. It was the first time I ever "felt" that "tick". I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. It's like things clicking into place.

Me and a friend are biking in the snow. Beautiful night. We are speeding and slipping towards the street. There are redlights for about 3 blocks, then a green one, then two more red ones. I was under the impresion they were all on different timers. I had no breaks.

I waved my hand at the light, and said something witty while flying down the hill towards oncoming traffic. My head was arched back to my friend. I felt this intensive pull at the front of my brain, turned, and all of the lights were green.

When we got back to another friends basement, we smoked some pot, and I stared in my own eyes for about three hours. It took me about 6 months to figure out how that worked, or that I can do it without acid.

#62 Christian.Rosencreut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

A magician must aim to achieve almost every point that is listed in this poll. They all contribute to the success of any Operation of Art.

# ability to follow instructions

A Magician, much the same as a chef, must follow the instructions given. Once one understands the logic and reasoning behind the instructions the magician is free to develop them into their own flavor. A chef (especially an aspirant) would never neglect the addition of flour to a cake, so why would a magician neglect key ingredients to producing their desired ends? Only once a magician has mastered the system should he deviate from the recipe as he sees fit. Far too many magicians are under the impression that they are already "masters" and can add and take away as they see fit before they even realize that yeast is an important ingredient to making their cake rise. Magic, as cooking, is an art. The best achieve the most desirable results; the worst achieve nothing but disgusting frustrations. Do not deceive yourself into believing you are a master, all students of this art will always be students and never above.

# ability to concentrate

Concentration on your work is very important. In all religions and in all books on magic concentration on ones self control (especially purity) is of extreme importance. If the magician is focused on mundane or terrestrial things, he cannot achieve spiritual ones. Concentration leads to control and control over ones body (as it being both terrestrial and spiritual) is paramount in all of the Magical Arts.

# ability to banish what is called

Many times neophyte magicians take this archaic term far too zealously. To banish is simply to dismiss from ones presence. Spirits are servants of God and thus they are also servants of man. When you "banish" you are simply dismissing a spirit either to do the task you have commanded of it or it has provided you with the information or service you need and you are not requiring its presence anymore. Failure to dismiss a spirit will cause it to remain with you in your presence and therefore this act is of vital importance (unless of course it is your desire to retain the spirit). If a spirit is retained and not dismissed it can also influence you spiritually depending on its potency and therefore may lead to disastrous (or felicitous) ends. Its important to remember that during the time of the creation of such grimoires, servants were a common place in every household (that could afford such services) and therefore during this time it was nothing more than a dismissal of a servant from your presence.

# ability to distinguish between energy types

Energy is an abused word in the occult community and therefore I highly discourage its use. Particularly because occultists grasp onto this term because it cannot be quantified by any scientific or rational understanding and is something that is subjective. Energy in the modern (and occult) sense can mean anything from "a feeling" to "an electrical charge that throws an individual through a wall" and is so vague and subjective to an individual it cannot be understood by any scientific (or even philosophical) means. Spirits are an essence. The term "essence" is a more appropriate term for an occult presence because it indicates an internal nature or a true substance of something. So, to answer this proposition, it is important to distinguish between the different spiritual essences because they each have a certain type of nature. Understand this nature, understand the spirit, and therefore understand its function and with the understanding of a spirits function you can utilize it for your operations.

# ability to recognize danger signs

There should never be any "danger signs" in any magical working. A King does not fear his servants, nor a magician his. A King understands the function of his servants and utilizes them to support his operation.

# ability to plan and organize a working

This point is in relation with the first point of following instructions. Understand why certain rules are in place and the cake you bake will be the most delectable you have ever tasted. If you are in no means to construct such an operation (according to Art), or the conditions are not suitable - DO NOT WORK THE OPERATION - Again refer back to the first point; if you do not include the yeast, will your cake rise? If you cannot plan an operation, wait until the conditions are suitable to do so. This rule is especially true if you are young. For all you aspirants of this Holy Art I highly recommend a constant study until you are put in place to perform an operation correctly. Do it right, or not at all.

# ability to summon

Summoning a spirit is the simplest part of any operation. Its the understanding of the System of Magic that is the most difficult. Riding a bike, driving a car, all require basic understanding, but taking a car apart piece by piece and putting it back together and have it function is the sign of a true mechanic (and magician). So the question is not your ability to drive, but your understanding of function.

# good knowledge of symbols, names or words of power

This point is paramount. Why are symbols used? Why are these names used? In fact why is this alphabet used? Why are two lines intersected into the shape of a cross more powerful than a circle? What gives shapes, lines, symbols, letters, names, words, conjurations, prayers power and importance in the operation? When you understand why, then you are ready to work an operation. If you dont know why you are using the symbols or prayers you are using, you are not ready to work an operation. If a surgeon does not know his tools - how can he perform surgery? More importantly, why should he be allowed to perform surgery?

# good knowledge of occult philosophy

This point ties in with all the rest I have stated above. Occult philosophy is the simple understanding of why essences function they way they do and how a magician may manipulate these essences to perform any desired task.

# good knowledge of self

Control of ones self I find is the key to any operation. Once one has control over ones own terrestrial body, you will be able to gain and master control over your spiritual body. Gross first, subtle after. Many times magicians pass over this part of the operation but if you will read any grimoire this is the first and most important part of conducting any Magical Operation.

In conclusion Magic is an Art not just a simple folly. There is no Mcdonalds of magic.One cannot just study magic and claim they are a magician. Magic takes talent and some have this talent and ability and some do not. Do not deceive yourself that you can be lazy, slothful, indolent, and achieve results. These boards are full of people claiming that they cant get results, cant achieve anything, they are 15 and trying to summon in their parents basement and they take bits and pieces from grimoires and conduct their operation according to their broken reading of a grimoire they picked up from a used book store to win back the love of their life. Magic is an art not a trivial pursuit. Stop whining and start reading. The answers are laid before your eyes in plain and unabridged English. Study. Learn. Grow. Achieve. Succeed.

C.R.

#63 ChaosTech

Venerable Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

The key skills of a magician are to try try again, till result. I've read a ton against "forced magic," in books but it works for me. I learned telekinesis this way, keep trying even after a hundred failures, eventually a result happens, and then a skill begins. I also launch sigils this way while visualizing them lightly but focused till I fall asleep. I have interesting hypnogotic images appear about the results of my spell, and I just ignore them till I get a result on the physical. The ego is a barrier, it's purpose to contain the Infinite "I" into an incarnation and so a limited experience. I chisel till I crack my ego to what I want, anything else is not being a mage in my opinion but a religious and or superstitious type. There is no cosmic intelligence or rule except ultimate liberation, everything else is cause and effect and ego land. Play nice, but be intelligent. The intellect is a sword and it's purpose is to cut down all the selves, which mistake the "I" for the eye.
[i]There are no gods but God, we know him through his order, his mind, the the miracle Jesus Christ. Give up most magic, give up enlightenment and or transcendence. No one can behold God, infinite is beyond, submit and know it creates and sustains creation forever. No true limit, no true death, no true nothingness. E=MC2, and gain and sustainability are greater than loss. The universe infinitely is expanding, growing becoming better and more immortal as are we. Resist evil, for it is an excess, ultimately a lie of true death. There is hell, as the Bible says, but there is choice! Choose wisely. Human origins, cosmic life, magical creatures, heaven, hell, earth and purgatory, many religions. Fascinating indeed, but in this world, no man was like Jesus Christ, and has the worlds largest faith.[\i]

#64 Tibuda

• Old Timers
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

ChaosTech said:

The key skills of a magician are to try try again, till result.
"Do or do not, there's not try" said Magister Yoda, but I think this is exactly what you meant. Perseverance. :)
Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not over much! -- Legis III 42

#65 pocki

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

Know thyself because so far it's my weaknesses that have held me back.

#66 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Since so many have mentioned it, I'm curious what y'all think "knowing yourself" entails. And while I don't mean this in the Buddhist way, what do you think a "self" is? Is it a permanent thing set at birth or does it develop through experience? Do you think it's fixed or somewhat fluid or mutable in some ways?

#67 8people

• Old Timers
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

It is who we are now. Who we were without deception and where we aim to be in comparison to the now.

We are the sum of memory and experience, biology, theology, intelligence, wisdom, sapience and sentience. We are what we have done, are doing and will do, we are also what we did not do, what we're avoiding and what we will never do. Understand your limits and why you have them, understand who you are with honesty and certainty, accept the screwups with the excellence, the shame with the pride.

#68 R. Eugene Laughlin

Board Member

• Moderators
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

8people said:

It is who we are now. Who we were without deception and where we aim to be in comparison to the now.

We are the sum of memory and experience, biology, theology, intelligence, wisdom, sapience and sentience. We are what we have done, are doing and will do, we are also what we did not do, what we're avoiding and what we will never do. Understand your limits and why you have them, understand who you are with honesty and certainty, accept the screwups with the excellence, the shame with the pride.

I suppose the phrase naturally suggests an egocentric perspective. However, I've always thought of the axiom as referring to overcoming the natural human tendency to romanticize oneself in both positive and negative ways, to aggrandize accomplishments and to minimize failures: I got an A! vs. That jerk gave me a C. Many other such human foibles could be listed here. In that sense, I think it's bound to its companion axiom, as above so below, which together suggests to me that by a careful study of human nature, one grows to understand how that general nature is personally expressed in his/her own life.

Both of those axioms are Hermetic in origin, so I think they're best understood in light the ultimate goal of the work: the safe return of the soul, which necessarily entails rising above our corruptible human nature as we aspire to our truer nature, envisioned by the Neoplatonists at or near the level of Forms.

I think it's worth noting that almost everything you listed is transient, with one exception: what one will/will not do. That predictive knowledge I think is the only part that really matters, and I think the method of getting to it is from the general to the specific (as above, so below): human nature --> individual (thyself).

#69 pocki

Knows the Answer

• Old Timers
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Knowing yourself... to me means knowing my flaws, my weakness, my motivations my fears...etc.

In my opinion, the self is you. It's what makes you, you. You are yourself when you are born, otherwise it's called a stillbirth. You learn as your body grows into maturity, so I think that who you are definately develops through experience.

#70 Jeremiah Fuglseth

• Old Timers
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

I Had to pick Four. Obviously I went with Knowledge of self, as I feel that all other Powers follow this achievement. But Following this, I chose the ability to recognize warning signs. Third and Fourth were occupied by Good Knowledge of Occult Philosophy, and Good Knowledge of Signs, Symbols, etc. associated with The Work. I feel Putting Knowledge of self in to Action is just as Important as the Knowledge.
Solve et Coagula

#71 Kuroyagi

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

My second take on this question after my first answer which was 'self-knowledge' (important in relation to realizing where one stands at the present time-order of the cosmos)- is that the next important skill of the magician would certainly be creativity, in every sense of the word, even in its broadest one where one creates oneself and the world anew. As a consequence, this then very much makes relative any self-knowledge one might have had and sets into motion a new set of self-knowledge-necessity so that it results in some sort of corkscrew/helix-like three-step motion whose advantage is its directedness, if yu know what I mean.

Edited by Kuroyagi, 18 October 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#72 Metaller

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Ok the answer is always to put 1 point on dexterty and constitution every 3 skillpoints on intelligence.
Now seriously, I think that self knowledge is always important and without a high concentration I wouldn't be able to perform most of the spells and rituals I did during these years.
I voted for others too but they aren't nearly as important as these two.
there are lots of worms under the ground!
there are lots of worms that I never found!
I guess they're always there jiggling around!
worms down under the ground!

#73 Kuroyagi

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Btw (inspired by the post above), I think that concentration is completely over-represented here. But it's hardwired into Western magic as a whole. Esoterically speaking-dispersion is still a method whose advantages are only 'widely' known in the East. It is of course quite scary to us humans who naturally want to keep their personalities and beings together. I have always opposed too much emphasis on concentration although I am personally fond of *focus*. The thing I mean could be likened to a neutral mirror that at times can be used as a focused laser beam if it is needed as such but that yet has a much wider spectrum.

#74 Metaller

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Kuroyagi said:

Btw (inspired by the post above), I think that concentration is completely over-represented here. But it's hardwired into Western magic as a whole. Esoterically speaking-dispersion is still a method whose advantages are only 'widely' known in the East. It is of course quite scary to us humans who naturally want to keep their personalities and beings together. I have always opposed too much emphasis on concentration although I am personally fond of *focus*. The thing I mean could be likened to a neutral mirror that at times can be used as a focused laser beam if it is needed as such but that yet has a much wider spectrum.

This highly depends in your definition of concentration, some may define it with the ability to stay focused, others may say it's the ability to keep self awareness.
In the first case dispersion may be included into concentration while in the second it's the complementary opposite
there are lots of worms under the ground!
there are lots of worms that I never found!
I guess they're always there jiggling around!
worms down under the ground!

#75 Kuroyagi

• Old Timers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

I think that willed dispersion -which is of course a highly paradoxical and thus esoteric term- is nearly never spoken of in most Western magical works.

To me focus, differently to concentration, would be quicker, more readily available and more insubstantial, materially -not effectively- speaking. You are right: it's not easy to talk about those terms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users